Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Golden Girls -> The Golden Palace

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   MichaelFA

MichaelFA

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 04:58 PM

I think Buena Vista should definitely release "the Golden Palace" on DVD, since the show has never been in syndication or reruns anywhere, and most Golden Girls fans would probably consider getting this release!

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter

• 1,130 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 05:17 PM

I dont know... I thought The Golden Girls was a good show... On the other hand I though The Golden Palace pretty much stunk... I might rent it to see if my opinion has changed, but I dont think I would buy it...

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Shawn_Sm

Shawn_Sm

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 06:54 PM

I've never seen The Golden Palace but would love to. I'd be willing to bet I would love it just as much as The Golden Girls. At this point though I'm just pulling my hair out over the lack of a DVD release for that show. Posted Image

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   MichaelFA

MichaelFA

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 06:58 PM

On a website it was on a HUGE list of titles under a "Coming Soon" thing, but I don't put very much faith in that. I forgot the link to this list though. Posted Image

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 11:00 PM

dvdfile.com reported that buena vista was planning it for late 2003... but nothing came out of that. I'm guessing the re-runs on lifetime are performing better than they expected... and they feel a DVD release might compromise those...

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   John Berggren

John Berggren

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 02:57 AM

As frequently as this or similar topics arise on HTF, I've no doubt Golden Girls would sell well on DVD. I also expect that it shouldn't have much impact on the lifetime reruns, as the viewers there are not necessarily the target audience to collect a show on DVD. I remain hopeful.
Support the fight against Multiple Sclerosis as I ride in the 2007 MS 150 in New Bern this September.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Greg Madsen

Greg Madsen

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 08:14 AM

I love that Lifetime airs GG, but I am sick and tired of watching these episodes cut. I have seen this show so many times over the years that I can usually tell what has been cut from each episode. I hope they release these soon so I can view them the way they should be.

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   MichaelFA

MichaelFA

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 09:42 AM

About how many minutes of show is cut from each episode on the Lifetime versions?

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 10:15 AM

I'd buy the Golden Girls, but I'd skip out on Golden Palace as I didn't think it was all that great.

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Greg Madsen

Greg Madsen

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 10:42 AM

Not sure of how many minutes. Several lines are cut. I know a lot of the episodes line for line and I hate it when I expect the character to say a certain line and it is cut. I didn't think Golden Palace was any worse than the last two seasons of the Golden Girls. Some of those later episodes of GG were just awful.

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   MichaelFA

MichaelFA

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 04:41 PM

I used to always have bad feelings towards Bea Arthur for leaving the show early, (it probably could have had 9-10 seasons if it were up to Betty, Rue, & Estelle) but the more I watch the last season, the more I realize it was full of "cheap laughs"... and some of those storylines were just outrageous. I can think of a full season of original yet realistic storylines they could have used for another season, but for some reason they let the writing go wild! And I also don't like the fact that Dorothy was ragged on throughout the whole season! But, I thought Season 6 was still really, really good. I have a question though... why didn't they just continue "The Golden Girls" with just Betty/Rue/Estelle. They could have either stayed in the house or still moved to the hotel, but still.... the ratings would have been a lot higher. I think the show could have been funny without Dorothy, especially if they focused more on Blanche's love-life, and maybe have Sophia do something instead of tagging along. Just my thoughts.

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,311 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted May 24 2004 - 11:24 AM

I would LOVE to have The Golden Palace on DVD. A 4 Disc set would do the trick, with vintage and new interviews, commentaries, promos, etc. Andy

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Simon Caleb

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted May 24 2004 - 12:04 PM

Bea had very valid reasons for leaving the show, which have been discussed in full on a previous thread, maybe a search will throw it up? Rgds, Simon
It's a 'need to know' situation, Paramount need to know we want F13th 2-8's restored and uncensored. No amount of talking head extras will do.

#14 of 17 ONLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,982 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 24 2004 - 12:11 PM

Ah, yes, the whole "evil Betty White" conspiracy. Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   DustinC

DustinC

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted May 25 2004 - 07:54 AM

Hahaha almost forgot about that one. I really would like both shows on DVD.
He sat in a sanitarium for fifteen years waiting for me.

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter

• 1,130 posts

Posted May 25 2004 - 09:38 AM

I was just reading up on The Golden Palace at Tv Tome. I had no idea Dorothy ever guest starred in 2 episodes of this series. I never saw these.

#17 of 17 ONLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,982 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 25 2004 - 02:34 PM

Yep, which is why I don't buy into the "evil Betty White" theory. If BW drove Bea off the show, Bea hardly would have come back for guest spots on GP.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users