What's new

Decoupling Alternatives for Stage (1 Viewer)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Reading Dennis Erskine's article in HT Builder re: stage construction he notes you should use 5/16" acoustic matting when designing a stage on a wood floor. I've looked at a product called Acousti-Mat but it seems to be only sold in large rolls for whole-floor installations. What other alternatives might you suggest for decoupling a stage from a wood floor? Doesn't have to be too robust as the only speaker on the stage will be a center channel on a stand.

Thanks.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I wonder if you could just layer 15 or 30 pound roofing felt to get up to the 5/16ths? I'm not sure what it's acoustic properties are as a mat, but it is pretty dense and inexpensive.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
The local distributor said they might have some remnants left over from previous jobs that would do the trick. I don't know if layered felt would achieve the same result as it likely wouldn't have the spongy, absorbant properties of a flexible mat. Dennis suggested a rubber mat as an alternative.

WarrenHH

Agent
One day when arriving at the gym, I noticed a stack of 4x8x3/4" heavy rubber mats. They were replacing the floor in the gym. I asked what was going to happen to the old stuff, and they said first come first serve!

I bagged 20 sheets, but it did cost me twenty bucks to bribe someone to help me load them up, as I was not able to pick a sheet up and get it in the back of the truck! The stuff weighs a ton.

Three sheets have a new home under the stage, built per DE's instructions (with sand). I also built a little stand (2' x 4') that my racks are going to live on, same construcion as the stage. Thought it might help isolate them from vibration, and provide a nice solid base to mount up the racks as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks