-

Photo
- - - - -

Decoupling Alternatives for Stage

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky

Producer

• 3,740 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 08:16 AM

Reading Dennis Erskine's article in HT Builder re: stage construction he notes you should use 5/16" acoustic matting when designing a stage on a wood floor. I've looked at a product called Acousti-Mat but it seems to be only sold in large rolls for whole-floor installations. What other alternatives might you suggest for decoupling a stage from a wood floor? Doesn't have to be too robust as the only speaker on the stage will be a center channel on a stand.

Thanks.
"The computer had attained consciousness, only to reject it, claiming it was too unstable an operating system."

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,831 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted March 12 2004 - 08:44 AM

I wonder if you could just layer 15 or 30 pound roofing felt to get up to the 5/16ths? I'm not sure what it's acoustic properties are as a mat, but it is pretty dense and inexpensive.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky

Producer

• 3,740 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 09:12 AM

The local distributor said they might have some remnants left over from previous jobs that would do the trick. I don't know if layered felt would achieve the same result as it likely wouldn't have the spongy, absorbant properties of a flexible mat. Dennis suggested a rubber mat as an alternative.
"The computer had attained consciousness, only to reject it, claiming it was too unstable an operating system."

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,831 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted March 12 2004 - 10:08 AM

if the disributor doesn't have enough remnants a rubber pad from a carpet store might work.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky

Producer

• 3,740 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 10:47 AM

Quote:
...a rubber pad from a carpet store might work.

That will likely be the route I'll take.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   WarrenHH

WarrenHH

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted March 14 2004 - 01:27 AM

One day when arriving at the gym, I noticed a stack of 4x8x3/4" heavy rubber mats. They were replacing the floor in the gym. I asked what was going to happen to the old stuff, and they said first come first serve!

I bagged 20 sheets, but it did cost me twenty bucks to bribe someone to help me load them up, as I was not able to pick a sheet up and get it in the back of the truck! The stuff weighs a ton.

Three sheets have a new home under the stage, built per DE's instructions (with sand). I also built a little stand (2' x 4') that my racks are going to live on, same construcion as the stage. Thought it might help isolate them from vibration, and provide a nice solid base to mount up the racks as well.
Warren Holm