-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Max Fleischer Superman cartoons question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Charlie O.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 06:40 AM

Does Warner have any plans to release the Max Fleischer Superman cartoons? I would rather stay away from the public domain jobs I find all other the place.

#2 of 11 Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Screenwriter

• 1,388 posts
  • LocationLake Worth, Florida

Posted February 25 2004 - 06:56 AM

The cartoons were released on laserdisc at one point, spread over two discs. I happen to own it and the cartoons on the disc are in the best shape I have ever seen (compared to the releases done on VHS earlier).

I have seen two DVDs with some select cartoons on them, but the quality of transfer is unknown to me. I have never seen a DVD set like the laserdisc nor have I heard of anything coming down the road.

#3 of 11 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,704 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted February 25 2004 - 08:03 AM

there is a companey offering a 2 disc complete set in "Previews" this month (Previews is a monthly catalog for ordering comics). I can't think of the companies name, but it has a retail of $14.95

I've heard that the diamond collection from (I think) Image is the best, but I'm yet to find it at a decent (decent=cheap) price. I have a VHS with all of these, as well as a SNAFUperman spoof. They are great fun, and the animation is way better than the current TV versions.

#4 of 11 AndrewR

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 08:34 AM

Russell,

DeepDiscountDVD has the Diamond Collection for $7.32. It's listed as "Complete Superman Collection".

I bought it and it's the best release of these shorts thus far.

Andrew
"He donates plasma to widescreen TVs."

#5 of 11 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,771 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 10:46 AM

The Diamond Collection is a great set. This has been discussed a number of times over at DVDTalk.com, and the consensus is always the Diamond Collection.

I think it is doubtful Warner would release the series as long as it remains in the public domain.

FWIW, the price on the Diamond set has dropped considerably. When I bought it a few years ago it was about $20; now it's $7.

#6 of 11 Charlie O.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 03:47 PM

The The Diamond Collection is everything and uses good prints?

#7 of 11 Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted February 26 2004 - 02:07 AM

How does "Terror on the Midway" look on the Diamond set? The only time I've ever seen a version of that short that didn't have the title sequence replaced and several images from the first few seconds of the short replaced with video freeze-frames was a crappy PD VHS tape.
-Jay

#8 of 11 Grant Beaudette

Grant Beaudette

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted February 26 2004 - 07:47 AM

I've got the Diamond Collection and it all looked great to me.

#9 of 11 Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted February 27 2004 - 01:40 AM

Warner Home Video released four of the 17 Fleischer Studios cartoons on VHS as part of the 4-tape "Adventures of Superman" compilations, and the prints on those cartoons looked and sounded absolutely exceptional. In terms of legality, to date those are the only Fleischer Superman cartoons that WHV have officially released.
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#10 of 11 Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted February 27 2004 - 05:01 AM

I thought that these were theatrical shorts, but they are being discussed in the TV forum. Were they originally shown in theaters or not?

#11 of 11 Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted February 27 2004 - 05:47 AM

Good point. These were theatrical shorts.
-Jay