What's new
World Wide Stereo

Is this possible? (1 Viewer)

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
Now I have an Onkyo TX-SR501 rated @ 65wpc
It has 6.1 Channel inputes

If I were to buy the Harman Kardon DPR1001 with pre-outs, could I use the pre-outs into the 6.1 channel inputs, and bi-amp all of my speakers?

Would it sound okay being that they are 2 different receivers with different sounds?

728x90

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd look for a used amp rather than add another receiver, or just get a single, better receiver (I'd lean towards the amp).

What speakers are you using? Theoretically, it should work though. Why not just get another 501 if you want to go with a receiver? The 1001 uses digital amps, so the two may sound different, but whether or not that will be bad I can't say.

AndrewErickson

Stunt Coordinator
Why do you feel the need to bi-amp your speakers? I'll bet you'll see little difference for the pain and expense.

Buy a new receiver. Good deals at www.onecall.com on the Harman kardon AVR325.

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
Thats exactly what I may do!
I'm wondering if I can use my old receiver w/ 6.1 inputes to bi-amp.

The point is: Why not use my old receiver, even if its for minimal benefits?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Because you will likely do better to sell the 501 and get one receiver that is already capable of pumping out the current that you need, say a 701? Maybe you could find a discounted SR800?

What speakers?

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
I second the sell the SR501 and get the HK AVR 325 while it's on clearance at One Call. I own this receiver and it sounds terrific . It also has the pre-outs you would need to upgrade to seperate amps later. I use an Outlaw M200 monoblock for my center , which carries between 70-90% of the load depending on who you listen to. I also use another M200 to drive My SVS 25-31 CS. I'm very happy with this combo.

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
With a receiver w/ pre-outs, can you tell it which speaker to power and which not to power so the speakers powered by the receiver get more wattage?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When there is no speaker hooked to an output, there is no current going to it, allowing that current to be used for the ones that are hooked up, however, this does not mean the remaining channels will now have more power going to them, it just means they are no longer competing for that power from the power supply (headroom).

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
unless you are going to disable passive crossovers in the speakers and add active cross over between soure and amp, i don't think its worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks