Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Karate Kid

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 of 40 OFFLINE   Josh L

Josh L

Stunt Coordinator

• 85 posts

Posted February 08 2004 - 04:00 PM

I am sure this has been discussed before but I couldn't find any recent threads.

I saw Karate Kid on ESPN Classic tonight and before just about every commercial break there were interviews (Ralph Macchio, Pat Morita, Martin Kove, etc), "behind the scenes" footage and some pretty insightful little facts popping up on the screen every now and then.

With all this neat extra stuff out there why is the current DVD release such a POS?

And full-frame to boot Posted Image ...will we ever see an SE of this??

#2 of 40 OFFLINE   Raymond_H

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 244 posts

Posted February 08 2004 - 04:15 PM

I sure hope so, I actually have that damn theme song on right now. Ray

#3 of 40 OFFLINE   Drew Reiber

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

• 534 posts

Posted February 08 2004 - 04:16 PM

Probably not until Tri-Star/Columbia releases a SuperBit and (following that) Collector's Edition Box Set for every title they own. I think they're in a race to beat Anchor Bay in DVD repackaging.

#4 of 40 OFFLINE   Justin Hargis

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator

• 224 posts

Posted February 08 2004 - 05:28 PM

Probably one of the most popular movies to come out of the 1980s. I can't wait for a Special Edition release of this classic.

#5 of 40 OFFLINE   streeter

streeter

Screenwriter

• 1,391 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 02:14 AM

Did you know... William Zabka (who plays Johnny) has just been nominated for an Oscar.
Nothing Lost Forever: The Films of Tom Schiller
"I'll tell you why... 'cause I'm a dancer."

home page / dvds

#6 of 40 OFFLINE   MikeEckman

MikeEckman

Screenwriter

• 1,088 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 02:30 AM

Ive been awaiting a re-release of this move for quite some time, but with Columbia's track record, it could never happen, or if it does, it could be another Matilda debacle and be P&S again.
Mike Eckman
Chicago Heights, IL
Music Webpage: http://www.metalreviewcentre.com
Car Webpage: http://www.metalrevi...com/transam.htm

#7 of 40 OFFLINE   Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 02:32 AM

Something along the lines of the Rambo Trilogy would be awesome. DTS and 1 disc for all of the extras. PLEASE!!!!

#8 of 40 OFFLINE   Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 03:01 AM

I saw that last night and was wondering why it had a longer time in the cable guide, guess the commentaries is why.

#9 of 40 OFFLINE   Matt Harrison

Matt Harrison

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 03:21 AM

I've been waiting quite a while for a SE, thats why I have held off buying the current release. Its an Essential movie of the 80s.

#10 of 40 OFFLINE   streeter

streeter

Screenwriter

• 1,391 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 03:58 AM

Did you miss Karate Kid with the 'extras' last night? Don't worry. The next time ESPN Classic will show it is: November 28, 2004!
Nothing Lost Forever: The Films of Tom Schiller
"I'll tell you why... 'cause I'm a dancer."

home page / dvds

#11 of 40 OFFLINE   Joe Schwartz

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit

• 449 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 04:08 AM

I'm just waiting for an OAR release!

#12 of 40 OFFLINE   Matt Harrison

Matt Harrison

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 10:58 AM

Oh definately yes. Karate Kid deserves more than just an OAR release, It deserves the lot.

#13 of 40 OFFLINE   Michael*K

Michael*K

Screenwriter

• 1,815 posts

Posted February 10 2004 - 01:18 AM

Columbia should be ashamed that this disc was released full frame almost six years ago(!) and there's been no mention of an OAR re-release. Also, it's evident from the ESPN presentations that John Avildsen and the principal actors seem quite willing to discuss the film at length. A special edition release of this film is long overdue. Posted Image

#14 of 40 OFFLINE   Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

• 1,551 posts

Posted February 10 2004 - 04:28 AM

Thats pretty crazy, do you know if the movoe os any good? It's called Most and is nominated for short film(live action.)
"I'm your Huckleberry"

#15 of 40 OFFLINE   Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

• 1,551 posts

Posted February 10 2004 - 04:30 AM

Sorry, trying to work and type at the same time. I meant to say" Do you know id the MOVIE is any good?"
"I'm your Huckleberry"

#16 of 40 OFFLINE   Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit

• 472 posts

Posted February 10 2004 - 05:14 AM

Yes! One of the quintisential (sp?) movies of the 80's...I have the P&S DVD (only b/c I had never owned it on any other format and really wanted it) but I would rebuy it in a heartbeat if it came out as an OAR SE! COME ON COLUMBIA!!!!!!!
"We make it hard...the easy way."

Funniest line I have ever read in DVD a review: "'The Simple Life' stars rich, spoiled friends Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie as two rich, spoiled friends who are taken out of their posh Los Angeles lifestyle and deposited in a small town in Arkansas..."

#17 of 40 OFFLINE   MikeEckman

MikeEckman

Screenwriter

• 1,088 posts

Posted February 10 2004 - 08:27 AM

Columbia has proven time and time again that they will not listen to their customers. Look at all the times theyve continuously dropped the ball on in demand releases, look at all the petitions theyve ignored, etc. Im pretty sure that Columbia is the only major studio to never do an HTF chat or even make an effort to listen to the DVD community online. They just dont care, and no matter what anyone says, they will continue to re-release P&S versions of whatever they want.

What a shame that a studio that was one of two of the original major studios to support DVD has such a narrow vision. Posted Image
Mike Eckman
Chicago Heights, IL
Music Webpage: http://www.metalreviewcentre.com
Car Webpage: http://www.metalrevi...com/transam.htm

#18 of 40 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,622 posts

Posted February 10 2004 - 05:27 PM

Don't think so, Mike. Can't recall Disney ever doing one. Or Universal. Do you see a correlation there? The studios currently doing the most consistently excellent work with OAR and the like are Fox, Warner Bros, New Line, Criterion, Anchor Bay... and they all have done chats. The one exception is MGM, who did a chat but still releases pan and scan and otherwise crumby product, alternating with great stuff.

#19 of 40 OFFLINE   Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted February 10 2004 - 06:22 PM

Fear does not exist in this dojo! I would definitely buy a bells and whistles release. To anyone that produces this, the participation of Martin Cove is an absolute MUST.
2002 Sight & Sound Challenge: 321  Last Watched: L'enfance Nue
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#20 of 40 OFFLINE   Thomas Agermose

Thomas Agermose

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted February 10 2004 - 08:19 PM

If you can live with PAL speedup, get the R2 release. It's 1.85:1 (16:9) and looks OK. Alas sans extras, except trailers. For fans there is a box-set with all 3 movies in OAR (16:9) which has been going for as little as 20$ in Denmark.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users