What's new

Axiom or Cambridge??? (1 Viewer)

Just want some opinions from the guys who know. Which of these two systems would be the best bang for the buck??? Using a Pioneer Elite VSX-45tx. 22'x18'x8' room, 20% music, 80% movies.

CSW: Classic Series Tower, MC500, S300

AXIOM: M60ti, VP150, QS8

SVS 20-39 pci

Luitz

Stunt Coordinator
MY opinion is go listen to some speakers in some dealers.
Forget CSW completely.
Axiom is defenitly OK as is 100s of others speakers out there.
SVS sub Buy it now.... This will be u with it>>>:D

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Go with 3 MC500's across the front, the S300, and the SVS: sweet.

Axiom is also very good, maybe more dynamic than the CSW, a bit more sensitive, and more attractive, although they do use vinyl (no real wood veneers at all).

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't "forget" the CSW. They are very good speakers. However if it were me I would jump all over those Axiom's. They look very nice and like I said in another post, if I had to do it again I would look very seriously at the exact Axiom set-up you are looking at. Also Axiom ships for free....I think. You could always order the Axioms and buy the CSW and compare. Bring back the loser. This is not a dishonest thing to do if you tell both company's your intentions. They should both not mind at all.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
"Not sure why you'd need to tell the companies your intention. MGB means MGB for whatever reason."

Just trying to offer advice Tony. Some people do not like to do this as they feel they are takeing advantage of the company. I do not think that way...and aparantly you do not either....but some people do. I like to cover all bases ;).

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I say go with the Onix ELT or Rocket package from av123
Of course I am biased but there it is. And SVS rules on subs as well... can't go wrong there.

Would love the rockets, but can't remember if it's their center or rear surrounds that are 4ohm. VSX-45TX will only support 6ohm.

GregBe

Second Unit
I own CSW and really like their products. The pricing right now on the Tower and Tower II are insane. I have not heard Axiom, so can't compare the two, but if you do go with the CSW setup, I would recommend the MC400 for the center cannel over the MC500. The drivers will match up better, and I think it sounds better anyway.

Greg

cabreau

Second Unit
Evan M., come on, you were at Cambridge Soundworks with me listening to those top of the line speakers that they had. I hated them.

Get the Axioms with an SVS sub.

I would FORGET CSW completely unless they find a way to make those things more affordable, because as far as Price/Sound Value, my ears were definitely not impressed. I was not impressed at all with their best speaker when I heard it.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor

Forming an opinion of a speaker based on an in-store audition is not optimal. In fact, I'd say it's just about 1 step above forming an opinion based on what one reads on the forums. Cambridge offers a 45 day MBG so you can hear them in your environment. Particularly speakers with built in subs need to be dialed in (like subs in general). What you hear in a showroom will not be indicative of what you'll hear at home.

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
has anybody cranked up the axiom?? i'm think ing of upgrading to the axioms. i listen to music(hip hop top 40,jazz) very load somtimes and was wondering if anyowners let those babies roar??? Thx

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Cabreau......What Tony said!!

I think the CSW are very good speakers and heard them before at peoples houses. The demo we got at the store had to be the worst demo I have ever experienced. The moron working there blasted those things up soooo f%^$#n' loud with us literaly standing 2 feet in front of him. I swear these idiots who think that they have to blast speakers up to impress us really need a reality check. They almost make me feel like we are kids who think that louder is better!!
At any rate CSW are good speakers and have a great return policy and customer support. Just every once in awhile you run into an idiot like cabreau and I did.

Dan Mastro

Agent
using 2 m60's, vp150, 2 qs8's and the ep350, cranked with a yammi rxv1300, it will alert your neighbors to the fact that you are home. when home alone, they are quite loud and sound great.
dan

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Dan. i was just wondering cause you never hear someone say that they cranked the babies up.but i am really looking forward to getting them in the next few months.
Thx

cabreau

Second Unit
Ok. Sorry, I was basing it on the in-store sound. I always thought in-store sounds were better than actual sound at home, since most of those rooms are designed to sound good. But, maybe I'll give them another listen someday.

john michiels

Auditioning
Tom,
I can't speak about the sound quality of Cambridge Speakers
because I have never heard them. I'm a middle aged guy with a wife and three kids 12,15, and 18 so my hi-fi budget was/is tight. My system is comprised of Axiom M40's and M3's and love them both. The M3's are clean, detailed speakers with fantastic range for a small speaker and the 40's are slightly warmer and go a little deeper. I have to buy one of their center channels and a sub to really complete the system. The timbre of my infinity center is not a perfect match. That problem not withstanding, the imagery and detail of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours album in DVD Audio is unbeleivable! Hotel California and Wasted Time Reprise are also incredible (even without the sub). These speakers are a great buy for the money.

I can only wonder how much better the M60's and QS8's would be.

Get both systems demo them side by side and return the loser! Axiom has free shipping to you but you pay the freight back if you return them. Please let me know who won and why. Good Luck!
Thanks,
John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks