What's new

Another request for help selecting an AVR (1 Viewer)

Steve from Vt

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Looking for any help/opinions in selecting a new receiver. WARNING - I have posted this to other websites/forums seeking assistance, so you may have seen it already and I apologize for that if so. BTW, where should I post this? Here or elsewhere? Don't ask for details (doesn't really matter) but my job has a "Rewards" program where I can earn points and purchase a variety of things with my "earned" points. Below are some receivers that they have available w/ their cost to me (1 point is equal to $1.) And yes, I realize the points/costs assigned are a “little” high and I could get a much better deal thru Amazon or out on the street. But I’ve got the points and not the cash – so guess where I’m going to get my AVR? I have a separate room & system that is my primary audio listening room and will be using this new setup as my primary video system. Both are used for the other purpose but limited; guessing at about a 70/30 or 80/20 split. This may change in the future (when I can afford separates), but for now - two rooms, each w/ a dedicated system. Got a great deal on the Energy Take Classic 5.1surround system (love Energy speakers and after reading reviews on this, couldn’t pass it up @ $250 but likely to upgrade it in the future). Now need a receiver for it. Have a DVD player but will be getting a blu-ray player soon. Do not anticipate using this for games, just watching TV, movies and occasional music. Will be playing thru a Sharp LC-46LE820UN. The Sharp has several HDMI inputs including one w/ ARC that I plan on using as the main connection. Here are my choices. Marantz SR5006 $770 Denon AVR-1913 $645 Pioneer Elite VSX-52 $1050 Pioneer Elite VSX-40 $510 Yamaha HTR6080BL $880 Have done some feature/price comparison and have these listed in the order as I see them. Leaning towards the Marantz or Denon and probably not the VSX-52 as I would have to throw in some cash. BUT not set on this, for example – is the VSX-52 really worth the extra $$$$? some reviews talk about display/menu issues w/ the Marantz the Denon has Audyssey MultiEQ vice the Audyssey MultiEQ XT etc, etc How do you see them? Any input/comments/advice/suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanx

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you plan on using the TV as you hub, just choose the cheapest one. There is no need for anything but a $200(original price) AVR is you are going to provide it with 2.0PCM all the time. Now if you'd rather do it the right way...I'd pick the yamaha 6080(it is 3 years old...but has pre-outs for all channels so it can be a pre-pro)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I think you have them listed about right,with exception of the Yamaha. From what I know about them (which isn't much) the 6080 is a pretty well featured receiver for the money. Also, you're right about the VSX-52. I t should be "priced" closer to the 5006. Marantz receivers are a bit over-priced in the retail market but compared to the others and considering your "rewards points" it's about right. I would narrow it down to the marantz and yamaha with the Denon in the mix only if you wanted to save some points. BTW, I have a 5005 and it's a very solid receiver, but not spectacular. I also have an Elite VSX-23 (a two year old version of the 52) and I'm also quite happy with it. The Pioneer has a solid remote and I love the 6 MCACC presets which also remember speaker/subwoofer volume levels. It's like having 6 seperate eq's which also remember individual speaker volume levels. Brilliant! It also has a few other settings which help with dialog. I'd pass on the VSX-40. It's the Cadillac Cimarron of Elite receivers. The Marantz has a very good remote, is very easy to setup and operate and has solid power and sound quality. I wish I new more about Yamaha receivers... there is no perfect receiver but you have a few good ones to choose from.

TheGary

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
I'm just going to throw the Pioneer SC-1222-K into the mix. Class D amplification and it's on sale for 550 @ Newegg.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks