What's new

Best Buy adventure (1 Viewer)

I was watching Mummy Returns on a widescreen TV at Best Buy and noticed something odd. I was seeing black bars. So I pointed this out to the sales person. He said that the movie isn't enhanced for widescreen TV's. Can you believe that? I asked him if he was sure, because I knew for a fact that it was. He said, Oh yes, just like Gladiator.
I wept for him.

Gavin K

Stunt Coordinator
The Mummy Returns is 2.35, widescreen TVs are 1.78 - hence the black bars.
And hence why I buy nothing at bestbuy other than the occasional DVD.
------------------
"Wow, what a dramatic airport!"

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Whether or not it is enhanced (anamorphic) has absolutely no bearing. Still, I imagine this movie is 2.35x1 which means it will have black bars even on a widescreen TV.

Josh LeClair

Agent
What department does he work in?
If you know for sure he worked in video then yes, rather pathetic. If he worked in any other department then there is no reason he should know.
[Edited last by Josh LeClair on October 13, 2001 at 01:27 AM]

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
But I do get a sick pleasure messing with the guys there, asking them why there's black bars and can I relocate the black bars to the sides?
Considering that the current mood of the major movie studios is to consider doing away with or limiting widescreen DVD releases, I don't know that this is the right time to be going into major influential retail chains complaining about the black bars.
wink.gif

Sam_K

Stunt Coordinator
I think we should take the opportunity to educate the ill-informed sales staffs . Since they come in contact with a lot of consumers, they can help us spread the goodness of anamorphic DVDs.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Darren, the Best Buy guy was misinformed but apparently so are you.
"Enhanced for widescreen TVs" or anamorphic widescreen does not mean that the picture will fill a widescreen TV without black bars. It has nothing to do with the aspect ratio of the film, but rather increases the resolution for a more detailed picture on a widescreen set. Black bars should always be there on a 2.35:1 movie like THE MUMMY RETURNS. So there was nothing strange going on.

Jeffrey G

Agent
We just got a Best Buy a couple of weeks ago, and I loved the place. However, I had a similiar experience on my first visit. I noticed that the HDTV's were showing HD broadcasts, and asked him about it. He proceeded to tell me that ALL broadcasts by all of the networks were HD and the picture was cropped for non-widescreen sets. I din't have time to educate him, but I'm sure that someone will, hopefully.
------------------
Jeff Gossett

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Sean Con...BB is all about buying DVDs; you're in and out. I haven't been daring enough to challenge the staff because c'mon! They're only working to get a discount on car audio systems for their 1987 Dodge K-Car! (sorry for those of you who still drive k-cars).
------------------
Chuck
http://www.hometheaterinsider.com

M

MaxY

I think we should take the opportunity to educate the ill-informed sales staffs . Since they come in contact with a lot of consumers, they can help us spread the goodness of anamorphic DVDs.
I stood one day with Jim Long as Mike Knapp Tried to educate one of these Best Buy Blue Shirts and he told Mike at least 3 times that Mike was wrong about something, while Jim and I snickered wondering if Mike's Head was going to explode before he hit the guy.
We finally convince Mike the guy was pretty clueless and did not want any clues dumped in his lap and managed to get him out of Best Buy before he suffered a stroke or something.
It is very frustrating when a pimpley faced kid seems to spout falsehoods and trash and then tells someone who knows more about HT then him how they are wrong and doesn't know what he is talking about.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
When it comes to DVD movies, I don't really care if the salespersons are that knowledgable in HT. Can't expect much from part time employees. If that's what it takes to run a competetive business, one can't hire expensive labor.

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator
I usually never try to make contact with the Best Buy Blue shirts because of their attitude in general. When I was shopping for my Mini-DV camera I went to three different locations to get my camera (two locations were compleatly out yet still had one displayed) and got horrible service and attitudes from most of the employees. The best service I got was at the Riverside location. Nicer than Disney Park Cast Members and they made me feel like they cared about my purchase.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
We just got a Best Buy a couple of weeks ago, and I loved the place.
Jeff, I'm also in Mobile and the new Best Buy here is just plain sad. My first visit made me pretty much never want to go back there again, for several reasons:
1. They don't have much of a DVD selection. Sure, they have a lot of product on the shelf. The problem is that it's all 40 copies of the same movie. They didn't have either of the two movies I went there for.
2. A sales guy got mad at me for talking a woman out of buying Willy Wonka in fullscreen so she could wait for the widescreen release, since her husband had just bought a 16:9 set. He actually had the nerve to say "Sir, if you're going to harass the customers, you're going to have to leave." I just laughed in his face. Heh...
3. I was walking around the speaker section, and a sales guy tried to tell me that the Bose cubes were their top-of-the-line. We got into a discussion about the subwoofer and crossover points, and by the end I had him so confused that he finally admitted that he didn't know much about it. So I said "Well maybe you shouldn't be trying to push the Bose line when those JBL's over there outclass them in every way possible."
4. Yet another sales guy tried to tell me, and I quote... "Flatscreen plasma televisions last years longer than tubes." Not being a dick... but HOW DO YA' KNOW? So I said "I've had CRT-based sets that lasted eight years or more. And since no one has had a flatscreen set for that long yet, how can you say they last longer?" Of course, he had no answer.
5. The same sales guy as above told me that the image on the 4:3 sets was the original Bruce Springsteen broadcast and that the 16:9 sets were able to stretch the picture correctly... when it was quite obvious that it was anamorphic. When I tried to explain the concept, he actually told me that I was "misinformed." It was at this point that I had to leave... before I strangled someone.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
A different type experience: I was in the DVD players section and asked one of the Blue Shirts if they had any SACD players. He was very polite and seemed to know a lot about SACD, but said they didn't have any, only DVD-Audio (so he knew about both and that they are different). A while later I ran into a huge display of SACD's and a Sony SACD player on display in the audio section. I guess that's real specialization.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
As alot of people know most Best Buy employees have never had any formal training for hometheater equipment and why people who go there and expect knowledge in a warehouse type store is beyond me. These people make like $6 or $7 bucks an hour and it doesnt matter if you buy anything or not as the make the same amount either way. Im not slamming them by any means its just a fact.
------------------
Jeff Whitford
Hometheater Guru

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I only buy dvd's at Best Buy usually, but when I do go to buy a reciever or dvd player their, I know what I want going in. I don't want or need anyones help.
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
What's scary is that my local Best Buy just got in this past week the $999.99 Panasonic DVD-Recordable. They A) Didn't have one out of the box yet as a sample to look at, B) Didn't know a darn thing about it, and C) Could ONLY tell me the price when I grabbed a girl walking through the area on her way to the back who had one of their portable gun thingies that look up prices and I asked her to use it on that item.
They don't expect me to spend a grand there with that little knowledge, do they?
They don't expect me to spend several grand there on a widescreen TV when they have "their most knowledgeable staff member" (as voted by consensus of the rest of their HT Dept. staff, apparently, since they all told me to see this one dude) assure me with certainty that you can't switch a WideScreen TV's aspect ratio from the remote?
Circuit City is not a great alternative, even putting aside my usual hatred of their DVD/media section people. The TV Dept. people ARE much nicer. But their usual demo on a WS TV? A Gloria Estafan concert - 4:3 natch - stretched to fill the (wide)screen.
I think Gloria would be horrified to see how much weight she's gained!
I realize, after 13 years as a retail store manager, that these places are hiring kids cheaply and sticking them in these departments with no training whatsoever. They're expected to "self-train", preferably on their own time, with the motivation to be to keep their job and look good to get raises and promotions. Except they're tiny raises and a promotion opportunity comes along rarely if that soon.
Dude, when the time comes to buy these things I will probably go to Sears. My local Sears has some really smart folks working in the electronics dept, will get me some good Panasonic equipment if that's what I choose (I usually prefer Panasonic), and will charge it to a Sears card I already have and bring it to my home without all these tales of delivery woe I hear from BB and CC.
Failing to find something I like at Sears, I'll seek someone in a different store, on full commission, who can't screw me on the price (since I'll use the Internet to know what that should be) and will be able to have a little knowledge to tell me what's what. I won't spend that kind of $$ at Best Buy when I can't get the help I need.
I wish the DVD Software people could branch into hardware. The folks in that dept. are honestly friendly and helpful, don't mind taking some advice or letting me give some info, and buzz off if I tell them to. Maybe it's 'cuz they see me regurlarly and figured out I spend $200 a month there on DVD's, I dunno. But it's worked out real well in THAT dept. I go a few feet away to tv-land and it's a whole 'nother world!
Sheesh.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
[Edited last by David Lambert on October 15, 2001 at 05:36 AM]

Matty P

Stunt Coordinator
As a BB employee who works in the DVD/CD dept., I can sadly confirm most of the above stories...some of my good friends just got hired in the home theater dept. but honestly don't know much about 16x9, brands, or options for people coming in...I was a member here long before I got hired at BB and the knowledge gained here helps me everyday I work (it's my part time gig couple nights a week) and I do my best to pass it all on to J6P...an ongoing struggle!
-Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks