What's new

Infinite Baffle Guys....a few questions (1 Viewer)

RobLJ

Stunt Coordinator
1. How do you know what it will sound like?
2. Other than floor space, what's the benefit to IB over a typical enclosure.

Thanks in advance.

Paul_Wright

Auditioning
.geocities.com/pnwright3/Gemini_subs.html

Getting an error message saying I haven't posted enough here to insert a link...anyhow the address above will give you more info on my IB install. (add www)

Lots of advantages to IB, including more space for the main speakers, but the main benefit for me is very low distortion. It doesn't hurt to have as much clean headroom as you'll ever need.

IB Happy Camper :D

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Just to add some interesting numbers on Pauls Gemini sub. He used 18 Dayton DVC 15" drivers. In total this means his sub is capable of moving over 40L of air. For comparison the SVS B4+ is capable of moving around 8L of air. Rough guess is that drivers, wood and other misc construction materails totalled ~$2500. Amp requirements for this IB would also be less than what is needed to make a B4+ reach it's potential.

Great work Paul. I'm very jealous.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Paul's IB network is insane.

I'm building an IB sub into my new house over the next few weeks. I'm starting with an 18x18' port with two Dayton 15" woofers, with the intention to add 2 or 3 more if I need them. I've got a massive room (1200 sq feet - 8 foot ceiling) so I probably will need to add them eventually. I've got high hopes, but I can't speak from experience yet. Read the Cult of the Infinitely Baffled.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
RobLJ

Regardless of price no box/tube sub (DIY or store bought) has the sound quality of an IB.

There are 'details' in the bass of most good recordings. Unfortunately most people with box/tube subs don't hear these details. :frowning:, IB owners do hear them :)

Please note that one certainly doesn't need 18-15" drivers for high quality IB bass. Most people are very pleased with the performance of a couple of 15"s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks