What's new

Nudity and Mandy Moore (1 Viewer)

Les Samuel

Stunt Coordinator
I recently read that Mandy Moore, I guess who's an up and coming starlet will not do the nude scene in her new movie Chasing Liberty. She supposedly picked a body double from the handful of body parts that came up for the job that she felt would truly represent her. She stated nude scenes aren't for me and that's something I would never do, that stuff should be left behind doors........................huh? HUH?

I am sure MM is a nice girl but did she truly think about doing nude scenes in movies through? Ten years from now anyone who didn't know MM doesn't or didn't do nude scenes will see her in this flick and say HOLY CRAP MM is naked? If you don't want your name attached to nudity why be involved at all. Have that erased from the script. If a fan says "Hey I saw you in Chasing Liberty and you were nude. I thought you didn't do nude scenes?" Her reply will be "It wasn't me it was a body double." Uhh excuse me MM it was you, your character in the movie was nude. If you don't do nudity have it removed from the script. AM I crazy, please show me the error in my thinking?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I guess the only thing that matters to her is knowing that she has never actually exposed herself in public. She apparently cares little what others believe.

--
H

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
For all that cash, the least she can do is show her butt and the side of her breast(which is all thats shown according to Screen It) :)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
A good many actors use body doubles—almost always because they feel that their own bodies are not up to what the public expects (though some for modesty reasons, no doubt).

Give me the honesty of a Kathy Bates anytime. For sure she is not eye candy today (and never had the physical looks of any starlet)—but (just a wild guess) Mandy’s career won’t come close to Bates’.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
There have been many movies and TV shows where nude scenes included body doubles. Look for scenes where you can never see the face of the nude person and odds are that a body double was used.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
5 replies

just thought that was funny.

Anyway, it's probably a good move. if she does it, all you hear about is "Mandy Moore NUDE!" and then it's a freakshow. Since she's actually trying to get some sort of acting career going, she'd rather people focus on her performance--and not have them focus on her boobs. Interview after interview of her boobs would probably get tiring.

If you want to look at young starlet boobs, just wait a couple months. Britney's album isn't selling for crap, and the money is leaking like a broken colander. Too large of an entourage, too many parties and trips, too much drinking and gambling, and not much coming in on the other side. She's not endorsing anything, no one's really buying her album, her songs aren't getting airplay, and no one pays you to be a hollywood freakshow. And since she has a 9th grade education, the business smarts aren't there, either.

She's about to turn into Carmen Electra real quick here. You'll get plenty of Boobs then. No need to worry about Mandy Moore's.

Hell, I'm surprised that this movie even HAS a nude scene. From what I can tell reading about it, it seems out of place. I was surprised that Mandy was SMOKING in her last movie, much less stripping down and grinding.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
In Something's Gotta Give, Diane Keaton (or a body double) was completely nude in the front for a second or two, and Jack Nicholson showed his rear for a few seconds. Kate Winslet showed her breasts in Titanic for a few seconds as well. Both movies showed them in relatively non-sexual ways, and only for a few seconds.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
If actors don't wanna do nudity, I'd rather they just have the scene rewritten instead of hiring a body double. That's what Natalie Portman did for Anywhere But Here. Ironically, some paparazzi snapped a couple pics of her sunbathing topless right around the time that movie came out, so it was all for nothing. :)

Peter Mazur

Second Unit

When the rating was first introduced they would show more than they do today. European Vacation is a good example of a few scenes of nudity.

James T

Screenwriter
Wasn't Titanic rated R in the states when it first came out and then a week later reduced to a PG-13 rating? I could have sworn that it was Rated-R when I went to the states shortly after Christmas.

I view the nude doubles like stunt doubles. When you know it's Jackie Chan flying around, it makes the movie a lot more believeable. I'd agree that it should just be written out of the script if they choose not to do it.

A recent example was in Freddy vs Jason, they had Katharine Isabelle in the shower. It was a pointless nude shot that I though was Katharine, until someone pointed out to me that she never looks up into the camera when she's in full view, meaning a body double(who I believe is infamous to be the Affleck stripper).

WillG

Senior HTF Member

All depends on context. Nudity in a sexual context will almost certainly land a movie an "R" rating. For Titanic, which did have exdended nude shots, it was of an artistic context (a nude subject being tastefully sketched) so they got away with a PG-13. You can have some, what I would call "Slapstick Nudity" without getting an "R" "Airplane" would be a good example (even though that was before the PG-13) It does seem that as time went on the MPAA became less tolerant of Nudity. I would think any nudity nowadays can put you in danger of a "R" it's just about convincing the Ratings board that it is breif and non-sexual to be able to avoid the "R"

Nick Totoro

Stunt Coordinator

Catherine Bell volunteering her backside for Isabella Rossellini in Death Becomes Her being a classic example, off the top of my head.

Nick

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
One of the most ridiculous body double moments I've witnessed, was the one time I watched Smallville. The main girl was taking a swim, and there were some lingering shots of "her" getting out of the pool, in which they blatantly cut her head off. When they cut to the wide angle that included the actresses face, it was quite obvious that it wasn't her body.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
So what if it was or wasn't her body. It doesn't matter much to me. The most important thing is a good movie, nudity won't change that. I mean look at something like Showgirls, all the nudity in the world couldn't save that piece of junk. In the end I want a good movie, and if there happens to be nudity, body double or not, great, bonus!
Eh whatever... too many people have seem to have a hangup on nudity. just read a post in the Underworld DVD thread that since Kate didn't disrobe, he wouldn't buy it. Let's go on the merits of the film.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Milla Jovavich is briefly nude in The Fifth Element. It's PG-13, but I think it should have been rated R (for the violence, not the nudity).

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Richard, don't forget Milla's nude scene in Resident Evil! *drool* It was a good long 15 seconds or so too...totally made up for the rest of the movie. :D

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Why are people so hung up on nudity? It's nothing bad: it's natural and most of us have seen it all anyhow. In the case of Titanic, that was totally tasteful too. I see nothing wrong with a nude image and just don't get why people are so hung up about censoring it. Even take Braveheart for example, the love scene between Wallace and Murron is very tasteful. Of course, Braveheart got an R for violence, not the nudity. Now, if we start seeing extreme closeups of certain regions of the body, well that's a different story and a different rating.:b

AJG

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
This isn't nudity-related, but seeing a topic about Mandy Moore reminds me of a funny comment about her from a few months ago. When her boyfriend, tennis star Andy Roddick, won the US Open this previous fall, he kissed her when he went into the stands to celebrate with her and his parents just after the match ended. The next morning, a humor columnist, I'm pretty sure it was Andy Borowitz, made a reference on TV to the then-recent Madonna/Britney incident at the MTV Video awards, when he was talking about Roddick and Moore: "I thought it was very strange to see a young female pop star kissing a man on television."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks