Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Speaker Cables

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   JohnChu

JohnChu

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted December 31 2003 - 02:40 AM

Hi, I am just wonder what are some good speaker cables to get... How about monster cable?... and what connector should I get for the cable?.. Does the thickness matter?.

Thanks

John

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   John S

John S

Producer

• 5,460 posts

Posted December 31 2003 - 03:46 AM

I suggest going to your local home depot, and getting polarized like lamp cord on a spool, in the gauge of your choice, and yes, bigger is better.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Michael Yung

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted December 31 2003 - 03:58 AM

Bigger is not always better. It depends on the length and how much power is provided by your amp. I don't have the scientific forumla for that but maybe someone else would jump in later with that info. The general idea is that the longer the cable, the less gage it should be.

Generally speaking Monster speaker cable, (the pink stuff that you can get at BB/CC) is not worth it. Way over priced and not much performance. Generally darkens the sound and you lose a lot of detail in your music. If that's the type of speaker cable you're asking about then RadioShack stuff will be much better choice. For connectors, banana is pretty good and it's much easier to plug in and take out when you have to move your stuff. Some people thinks spade is good but there's an issue of tightness and it's a pain to put on and take off.

Hope this helps!

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   JohnChu

JohnChu

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted December 31 2003 - 04:10 AM

Well, I have a Denon AVR 3803 and the speakers are like 30 feet away from.. I was hoping to get

MONSTER THX SPEAKER CABLE 16 gauge Wire 100'

for $32 .. and wonder what good connector to use for it!

John

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Jarvis_R

Jarvis_R

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted December 31 2003 - 05:38 AM

Do you guys think there is much of a difference with the level of cables that Monster offers. I just bought a couple spools of speaker wire, and some interconnects yesterday, and I'm wondering if maybe I should upgrade to the next level of products they offer. The price isn't much of a difference, but will it drastically improve sound quality?

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor

• 539 posts

Posted December 31 2003 - 07:02 AM

No - I think cable/interconnect upgrades would more likely be subtle than not - assuming you have correctly put them on and they are of sufficient gauge.

If you want a drastic improvement in sound quality - go save up this money and get the next level of speakers.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor

• 539 posts

Posted December 31 2003 - 07:04 AM

Oh yeah - John Chu - I would go for 12 gauge OFC cable. 30 feet is a fairly decent run and you might benefit from a thicker gauge. I hear that SoundKing from Parts Express is pretty good.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   jim09

jim09

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted November 29 2009 - 01:15 AM

im useing 2.5 mm braided silver plated cable , . i have a denon avr 790 in similar application it works excellant
 i got it cheaper online than the hardware store sells there cheapest plain copper stranded wire.
try to get stuff thats well sheilded. i think thats the most important thing to be concerned about .

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted November 29 2009 - 01:38 AM

Monster cable is over priced.
I got a spool of 14 AWG speaker wire from Lowe's, and it has worked great for the past 10+ years.

Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   brookie064

brookie064

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted November 30 2009 - 03:02 PM