What's new

Speaker Cables (1 Viewer)

JohnChu

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I am just wonder what are some good speaker cables to get... How about monster cable?... and what connector should I get for the cable?.. Does the thickness matter?.

Thanks

John

John S

Senior HTF Member
I suggest going to your local home depot, and getting polarized like lamp cord on a spool, in the gauge of your choice, and yes, bigger is better.

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Bigger is not always better. It depends on the length and how much power is provided by your amp. I don't have the scientific forumla for that but maybe someone else would jump in later with that info. The general idea is that the longer the cable, the less gage it should be.

Generally speaking Monster speaker cable, (the pink stuff that you can get at BB/CC) is not worth it. Way over priced and not much performance. Generally darkens the sound and you lose a lot of detail in your music. If that's the type of speaker cable you're asking about then RadioShack stuff will be much better choice. For connectors, banana is pretty good and it's much easier to plug in and take out when you have to move your stuff. Some people thinks spade is good but there's an issue of tightness and it's a pain to put on and take off.

Hope this helps!

JohnChu

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I have a Denon AVR 3803 and the speakers are like 30 feet away from.. I was hoping to get

MONSTER THX SPEAKER CABLE 16 gauge Wire 100'

for $32 .. and wonder what good connector to use for it!

John

Jarvis_R

Agent
Do you guys think there is much of a difference with the level of cables that Monster offers. I just bought a couple spools of speaker wire, and some interconnects yesterday, and I'm wondering if maybe I should upgrade to the next level of products they offer. The price isn't much of a difference, but will it drastically improve sound quality?

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
No - I think cable/interconnect upgrades would more likely be subtle than not - assuming you have correctly put them on and they are of sufficient gauge.

If you want a drastic improvement in sound quality - go save up this money and get the next level of speakers.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Oh yeah - John Chu - I would go for 12 gauge OFC cable. 30 feet is a fairly decent run and you might benefit from a thicker gauge. I hear that SoundKing from Parts Express is pretty good.

jim09

Grip
Real Name
james
im useing 2.5 mm braided silver plated cable , . i have a denon avr 790 in similar application it works excellant
i got it cheaper online than the hardware store sells there cheapest plain copper stranded wire.
try to get stuff thats well sheilded. i think thats the most important thing to be concerned about .

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Monster cable is over priced.
I got a spool of 14 AWG speaker wire from Lowe's, and it has worked great for the past 10+ years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks