-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

NewsRadio DELAYED!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
60 replies to this topic

#1 of 61 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted December 09 2003 - 10:19 PM

I'm *really* super-shocked that noone here is talking about this yet. I figured it would be all over the HTF within an hour after I posted this yesterday afternoon:

We hate to be the bearer of what fans will consider to be REALLY bad news, but Columbia Tristar Home Entertainment has just announced that NewsRadio - Season 1 & 2 has been delayed from the planned 2/3/04 date. No reason was available, and no new date has been given. Stay tuned, and we'll update you when more information becomes available.

I have no idea what the hold-up is. It could be for more content, to re-tool the release in some other way, for a license issue, for lack of availability of factory space, or for just needing more time to finish up what's already been announced. I have no idea what the heck the problem is, and the folks at Columbia I called to ask could not tell me, either. Sorry, guys! Posted Image I know you're all anxious for this one, but I was assured that it WILL return to the schedule. Right now they just don't know when. It doesn't sound like it will be a long delay, though. He says, hoping that turns out to be the case.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#2 of 61 PeterKurpiewski

PeterKurpiewski

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted December 09 2003 - 10:39 PM

All I can say is, "Noooooooo." As long as it's a change for the better, I guess I can make do but what will I do without my Phil Hartman fix Posted Image

#3 of 61 Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner

Second Unit

• 441 posts

Posted December 09 2003 - 11:52 PM

Why must they TEASE????!!!!!

#4 of 61 Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted December 10 2003 - 01:47 AM

I can only hope they decided to expand it from 3 discs to 4 to avoid any compression issues.

#5 of 61 Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted December 10 2003 - 02:44 AM

Dammit.

Hopefully there's a good reason for the delay.
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#6 of 61 Gabe D

Gabe D

Screenwriter

• 2,173 posts

Posted December 10 2003 - 03:52 AM

While expanding from 3 discs to 4 would likely boost image quality and/or allow more supplemental material, it would also likely raise the purchase price. I just hope that this set can be priced low enough to encourage sales outside the show's cult fan base. Otherwise I'm afraid we'll never see Seasons 3-5.

#7 of 61 Haden

Haden

Supporting Actor

• 782 posts

Posted December 10 2003 - 04:22 AM

Would Phil Hartman's estate have any say in the matter that would cause the delay, or even have reason to delay it?

#8 of 61 Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

• 1,303 posts

Posted December 10 2003 - 05:01 AM

Sorry Dave, I completely missed this story. However, NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! THOSE BASTARDS!!!!!!!
DVD Collection | Video Game Collection | Live Gamertag: vicodinjunkie

#9 of 61 Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted December 10 2003 - 05:04 AM

I'm bummed that this is going to be delayed, even though it does free up some money on Feb. 3, I just hope the delay is not a long one.

#10 of 61 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted December 10 2003 - 05:26 AM

Haden, interesting thought about Hartman's estate. I hadn't considered it. But I doubt they have the ability to be a show-stopper on this, in all honesty.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#11 of 61 Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

• 1,303 posts

Posted December 10 2003 - 05:46 AM

^Additionally, what would they have against the show? He was excellent in it.
DVD Collection | Video Game Collection | Live Gamertag: vicodinjunkie

#12 of 61 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted December 10 2003 - 07:18 AM

As long as it comes out eventually...

#13 of 61 Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted December 10 2003 - 07:45 AM

This is totally bogus! to quote Joe (your last name is Garelli?)

#14 of 61 Justin Bauer

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted December 10 2003 - 02:58 PM

I am so pissed at this news. I hate the date circled on the calendar for my most anticipated DVD of the year...and they pull it away from me as it gets close...they better not cancel it, I would never get over it.
We're Texas.

#15 of 61 Aaron Cooke

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit

• 320 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 01:03 AM

I have no words to describe how upset this makes me. My #1 most looked forward to dvd ever since I got a dvd player.

#16 of 61 Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 03:30 AM

Quote:
but what will I do without my Phil Hartman fix
Get the upcoming SNL Best of Phil Hartman DVD - due out 2/24.
Available for pre order at DVDEmpire.

#17 of 61 Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 07:22 AM

Damn!!
Maybe to do some commentaries?
One can only hope.

#18 of 61 Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

• 766 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 02:25 AM

I haven't seen anyone post about this yet, so: There was a post on alt.tv.newsradio from someone who runs a NewsRadio newsletter; she's had reliable information in the past, and now she has reliable information that the DVD delay is actually good news. Here's her post (the "Grand Poobah" referred to is series creator Paul Simms, who emailed her):

Quote:
As most of you know, the first two seasons of NewsRadio were due to be released on DVD in February. The release date has been delayed, but I have it on good authority that this is a positive thing.

From the Grand Poobah himself: "The DVD was originally scheduled to be released by Sony in February 2004. However, due to a clerical error of some kind, no one at Sony told me about this. The February release was to have been a bare-bones, just-the-episodes package, which was disappointing, as I'd always planned on trying to put together a commentary-laden, extra-features-filled DVD release -- and a February release wouldn't give us enough time to do that. Fortunately, the people at Sony turned out to be good guys, and once we discussed it, they found a way to delay the DVDs until we could put together something special."

The really cool part is that your suggestions could become part of the final product! I've been instructed to collect these suggestions, so e-mail them over to newsradionews@hotmail.com. (Please put "NewsRadio" somewhere in the subject line.)

"Here are some of the things we're considering:
-- Commentary on the episodes by cast members, writers, a director or two, and any other interesting people I can think of. Any ideas? -- Behind-the-scenes footage (although I think I have more behind the scenes footage from Seasons 3+4)
-- End of the season "Blooper Reels."
-- Maybe -- even though I always find it a little difficult to read text on a TV screen -- a few first drafts of scripts, and then middle drafts, and then shooting drafts, and then "as-broadcast" drafts. So that people who are interested in that sort of thing can see how -- and how much -- the scripts changed over the course of a week.
-- If I can locate them (and the relevant parties aren't too
embarassed by them) a few of the original audition tapes."

Forward this message to anybody who might be interested in getting their 2 cents in, or just wants to know why they won't be getting their DVDs in February. Thanks, everybody!

Happy Holidays from the NewsRadio Newsletter. Posted Image

#19 of 61 Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 04:28 AM

GREAT news if true.
It's nice to see that Columbia is putting time into making extras for their releases (like The Critic).
"Oh I can hold my breath for a long, long time!"

http://www.dvdprofil....s=TromaFiend02

#20 of 61 Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 05:26 AM

Quote:
-- Maybe -- even though I always find it a little difficult to read text on a TV screen -- a few first drafts of scripts, and then middle drafts, and then shooting drafts, and then "as-broadcast" drafts. So that people who are interested in that sort of thing can see how -- and how much -- the scripts changed over the course of a week.

They could include them as PDF files on the DVD. That way you could read them on your computer screen instead of the TV screen.

Forum Nav Content I Follow