What's new

Are there video game reviews done by the HTF like the DVD reviews? (1 Viewer)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Is this of interest to you guys? Would you like to see a couple of qualified reviewers for this forum? They would be designated with "official" review threads. Perhaps something we could pursue.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Is this of interest to you guys? Would you like to see a couple of qualified reviewers for this forum? They would be designated with "official" review threads. Perhaps something we could pursue.

I think it's a good idea. As a matter-of-fact I was thinking of the same thing the other day.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
I'd love to do a Xbox review of Counterstrike on Friday, and if you like my style of writing, perhaps I could be a HTF videogame reviewer :D

Sounds great :emoji_thumbsup:

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Id be interested as well. I did write reviews for a local DVD site for a spell. Ill link you to my reviews if you'd like.

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
I think it's a great idea too. I would love to see reviews from the same perspective I enjoy them. Good gameplay and a good hometheater experience.

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
I think it sounds like a really good idea.

And I guess I'll offer to do reviews as well. I do a ton of writing as a history major, and have done some TV reviews over in the TV forum just for fun, but never anything official - but I'd love the opportunity to try.

JQ

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Perhaps there should be 2 Xbox reviewers, 2 PS2 guys, 1 Gamecube and one GBA reviewer...

Just throwin around some ideas.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Why not make the review threads for games more like the ones for movies than those for DVDs? Everyone posts a review of their own opinion.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Why limit? Best review gets the official nod no matter who makes it.
If we have a couple of dedicated reviewers it becomes more of a known quantity. There would be an expectation to provide reviews on a timely basis as opposed to them randomly filtered in. And they could be written in a standardized format for more consistency.

We could look at a couple of scenarios as to how best it would work. Perhaps someone assigned to console games, another to PC? Or one to each for Xbox, PS2, Gamecube, and PS2. Throw in your ideas as to what configuration you think would work best. There would be a technical expectation as well - gameplay aside people are interested in the graphics and sound, online play where applicable, etc. So potential reviewers would have to have a capable surround rig and monitor with online access. Special consideration would be paid to those who regularly have access to titles prior to release. It would be great to get the jump on street dates.

Those who are interested can e-mail or PM me directly.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I'd say one to each platform. That way the reviews can be isolated to someone who knows what to expect from that platform. To have any person spread cross pltforms will invariably lead to platform-vs-platform comparisons, and we all know how well that goes over in this place.

I am interested in the PC obviously, and my affiliation with another web site (not my own since it's obviously not related to gaming) can get me some inroads to software companies. I've received pre-gold game software for review in the past. Be aware that I'd likely have to share the reviews between HTF and the other site, if that's not a problem.

My only real request if this goes through is that all review threads SPECIFICALLY mention the platform in the title, such as

OFFICIAL MAX PAYNE 2: THE FALL OF MAX PAYNE (PC) REVIEW

or

OFFICIAL REVIEW (PC) - MAX PAYNE 2: THE FALL OF MAX PAYNE

That way if the same game gets reviewed on multiple platforms (which I do believe will be of interest particularly for games that have different features based on platform), there will be no confusion as to which thread is for which specific review. I can already see a review for a game on a console + PC and the replies that say, "But [version] has these features!"

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Excellent suggestion by John re: format of thread title. I think platform-specific reviewers makes sense for the reason you indicate above. To play Devil's Advocate, however, the one problem I see is having the same titles reviewed up to three times.

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Ok, bear with me here - is there a way to manipulate the post order in a thread?

For example, say Max Payne 2 came out last week and John did a review for the PC version and makes a thread called "OFFICIAL REVIEW (PC) - MAX PAYNE 2: THE FALL OF MAX PAYNE".

Then a week later the XBox version comes out, and I do a review for it. Instead of starting a new thread about the XBox version, would it be possible to move my review to the first response of John's original thread and then just edit the title to "OFFICIAL REVIEW (PC) (Xbox) - MAX PAYNE 2: THE FALL OF MAX PAYNE"?

That way we could cut down on the number of threads, keep the threads organized with the reviews always coming before responses / questions / comments, and make it easy to see which versions of a game have been reviewed.

Sorry if that was confusing - studying for the GRE I have on thursday has turned my brain to mush tonight.

JQ

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
...is there a way to manipulate the post order in a thread?
Not that I know of. Unless we close off the thread to open discussion. In other words post the review and lock it. People can read it in the same manner as, say, Gamespot (ie. non-interactive). Then have a separate separate discussion thread. So ultimately there would be a single thread compiled with reviews for PC, Xbox, PS2, and/or Gamecube.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
This is a great idea and perhaps long overdue. I get tired of reading Xbox game reviews online where the reviewer doesn't bother to mention (or simply isn't aware) that a particular game doesn't support 480p, or, in some cases, even DD 5.1...
Game reviews tailored for a home theater audience interested in high quality audio and video along with gameplay would be GREATLY welcomed...There are several sites that review DVDs from a home theater perspective, but almost no sites that treat video games the same way. With games approaching films in terms of effects and sound, it is about time they were treated equally on those terms by reviewers.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
As to the issue of reviewing the same title for different consoles: comparative reviews should be done by the same person, or not at all. You won't know if the difference in ratings is subjective to the person or due to actual differences in the versions of the game, at least as far as general look, feel, and play. It would be nice to note differences in online implementation and such though, all that would be required there is a little research.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks