What's new

Speaker types (direct, bipolar) for 7.1 surrounds/rears? (1 Viewer)

Christopher M

Stunt Coordinator
OK, if I'm doing a 7.1 setup for Movies, what type of speaker to I want for the side surrounds?
Most things I've seen says bipole or dipole for the surrounds, and direct radiating for the rears.
Somethings I read say that dipole or bipole's for the rears are better.
So, its a personal choice really? The Dolby Lab specs don't really indicate a preference.

And, for music (DVD-Audio 5.1) use direct radiating all the way around, right?

I'm trying to decide if I should get 4 bipolars, or 4 direct speakers to give me the ability to swap between the two.

Murdock

John S

Senior HTF Member
I seem to find matching all the speakers as closely as possible to always provide the best image with Digital Surround. But I don't have a preference, I was on a bi-pole kick for a while, but anymore I find either work well, but with digital multi-channel, being truly matched seems the most important, other wise transitions and pans, just don't flow correctly. It is the first glare'n error I here when I go to others homes / ht rooms, even some supposedly matched systems that use different model number speakers in the same line for different center, fronts, rears, sides, ect..ect...

JohnTKline

Stunt Coordinator
I like direct radiating better for sides, I had dipole but I like to hear the surround speaker, and when I play dvd-audio, it sounded better to me with direct. One thing with my side surrounds that I did is placed them 7 ft high on the walls, 1 foot back of ideal listening position and angled them upward just a tad so it wasn't as easy to point out.

Really just go with what you like, not some dolby,thx,dts spec...

John

Christopher M

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I'm getting a Denon 3803 or 4802, so I'll have A and B setups.

I think I'm getting bi-poles for the surrounds (A) and rears, and then a set of direct radiating for the other surrounds (B) This will allow me to do 7.1 movies with the bi-poles all around, and then DVD Audio in 5.1 with the directs.

Thanks for the help guys.

Murdock

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.