Speaker types (direct, bipolar) for 7.1 surrounds/rears?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Christopher M, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Christopher M

Christopher M Stunt Coordinator

OK, if I'm doing a 7.1 setup for Movies, what type of speaker to I want for the side surrounds?
    Most things I've seen says bipole or dipole for the surrounds, and direct radiating for the rears.
    Somethings I read say that dipole or bipole's for the rears are better.
    So, its a personal choice really? The Dolby Lab specs don't really indicate a preference.

And, for music (DVD-Audio 5.1) use direct radiating all the way around, right?

I'm trying to decide if I should get 4 bipolars, or 4 direct speakers to give me the ability to swap between the two.

Murdock

2. John S

John S Producer

I seem to find matching all the speakers as closely as possible to always provide the best image with Digital Surround. But I don't have a preference, I was on a bi-pole kick for a while, but anymore I find either work well, but with digital multi-channel, being truly matched seems the most important, other wise transitions and pans, just don't flow correctly. It is the first glare'n error I here when I go to others homes / ht rooms, even some supposedly matched systems that use different model number speakers in the same line for different center, fronts, rears, sides, ect..ect...

3. JohnTKline

JohnTKline Stunt Coordinator

I like direct radiating better for sides, I had dipole but I like to hear the surround speaker, and when I play dvd-audio, it sounded better to me with direct. One thing with my side surrounds that I did is placed them 7 ft high on the walls, 1 foot back of ideal listening position and angled them upward just a tad so it wasn't as easy to point out.

Really just go with what you like, not some dolby,thx,dts spec...

John

4. Christopher M

Christopher M Stunt Coordinator

Well, I'm getting a Denon 3803 or 4802, so I'll have A and B setups.

I think I'm getting bi-poles for the surrounds (A) and rears, and then a set of direct radiating for the other surrounds (B) This will allow me to do 7.1 movies with the bi-poles all around, and then DVD Audio in 5.1 with the directs.

Thanks for the help guys.

Murdock