Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Stereo Imaging pulling to one side? Help!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   TylerCrawford

TylerCrawford

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted October 24 2003 - 03:23 AM

Hey there guys, I'm new here so bear with me!
I have a set of Paradigm Monitor 3's for my stereo setup. I'm using a Sony STRDE 545 for an amp. I enjoy the sound quality of this setup for stereo music but I'm having a problem with the imaging. Everything seems to pull slighly to the left, like vocals that should be centered are pulled a bit to the left. It's really annoying. I've made sure that they are equally toed in and equal from each other and the wall.
I think the problem might be that there is a wall on the outside of the left speaker but the right speaker has open space. There is a TV in between them. Any ideas on what I can do?

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,547 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted October 24 2003 - 04:18 AM

I think you answered your own question. The lack of a side wall on one side is almost guaranteed to be your problem. Calibration (SPL meter and test tones) will likely help, and I bet you will find that you have to tweak the one without a side wall up a bit to compensate, but you will probably still get a little of a "pull" to the other side from reflections.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges

Second Unit

• 442 posts

Posted October 24 2003 - 06:31 AM

I have a similar problem. I have a wall next to my left speaker with my right speaker more or less in the open. I find that vocals pull to the right unless I set the balance to +1.5 dB left. The funny thing is when I calibrate with Avia my SPL meter always indicates I should have my balance +1.5 dB to the right. I have tried this setting but it totally destroys all imaging, so I just go with what sounds best to me.

Mark

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Tab Nichols

Tab Nichols

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted October 24 2003 - 08:00 AM

Is it possible to but up some sound absorbtion on the wall beside the speaker? That might help tame the reflections, and bring the image back in to where it should be.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter

• 1,159 posts

Posted October 24 2003 - 08:35 AM

Is the TV perfectly centered between them?

Yeah the uneven walls will hinder things and throw the image off, but even worse is a huge pane of glass between them. TV's kill imaging, soundstaging, layering, depth, and all those other audiophile related terms.

One of the biggest improvements I have ever made to my costly system was to sell my 36" TV that sat between my speakers.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Nick L

Nick L

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted October 24 2003 - 09:48 AM

Make sure your speakers are out at least 3 inches from the front of the tv. If they are flush with the tv, it will throw the imaging off.

Nick
On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted October 24 2003 - 10:13 AM

It's the side wall, not the TV.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,547 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted October 24 2003 - 02:46 PM

The TV doesn't help. I have always kept the front baffle of my L&R mains about 1 foot in front of my TV. Left to right imaging is probably not the TV.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Luis S

Luis S

Supporting Actor

• 638 posts

Posted October 24 2003 - 05:43 PM

Clean your ears. Posted Image Seriously, I had the exact same problem in my set up. While some tweaking did even things out a bit,it wasnt till I went to the doctors to get my ears flushed out that I was able to properly balance my setup. Of course you may not have the same problem with earwax I do( My ears make way too much,particularly my right ear...) but its an idea. Posted Image Oh and definately move the speakers forward a bit as suggested. BIG difference when you do that...

Later,
Luis S
Neo: "Its been an honor sir."

Morpheus: " No,the honor is still mine."