What's new

Mp3 player question (1 Viewer)

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
Okay im really in a dilema I cant decide between three players now
1. An Ipod. I have only heard good things about these, and the new ones with wireless headphones are tempting.
2. A nomad zen nx (the upgraded one coming soon) bigger than an ipod and slightly cheaper which is always good.
3. The new one in the race... The Iriver. This has really intrigued me with the optical ins/outs, since I will be playing my mp3 player through my setup a lot. So just wondering how much will the quality step up through an optical cable, than using one of those cables that has a left and right audio on one end, and the other plugs into the head phone jack of the player?
So im asking you guys if you could give me your opinion on both (keeping in mind I dont have firewire for the ipod either) and in the end which one do you think I would be best off buying

John-Miles

Screenwriter
the ipod all the way.

by the way what is with this remote headphones? is it an adapter that goes into the headphone jack? or does the ipod ahve it built in?

P.S Ipods can use USB 2.0 as well, and a firewire card isn't that expensive

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
My friend told me the 4th generation ipods coming out around christmas are going to have built in wireless headphones.

I've got the Archos Jukebox Recorder 20 and I am very happy with it. The default firmware can be upgraded providing many more features and improved sound quality. It is also USB 2.0 compatable. I am able to hook this player to my car and home stereo via RCA cable. The sound quality is excellent.

JayV

Supporting Actor
I should be receiving the iRiver iHP-120 early next week. I wanted built-in FM, recording, optical in and out, and a backlit LCD remote. I like iPods, but I can't get all that in an iPod.

I intend to experiment with analog versus digital outputs as soon as I get it (and I charge it). With minidisc, I've noticed a big difference in background hissing (optical cut it out).

-j

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
The Dell Digital Jukebox seems pretty decent too.

I really don't think the optical output is going to make much of a difference unless the audio circuitry in the unit is sub-par.

TedLee

Agent
im going to get an iriver hp-120 soon.

just remember that ipod batteries die after about 18 months and you gotta get them replaced from apple for either 99 or you can do it yourself for 50 dollars at some place.

and apple doesn't have a wired lcd remote which is the win.

optical in/out >*

besides i heard iriver sound quality is better than both the ipod and the zen.

Jamie Doucette

Stunt Coordinator
just remember that ipod batteries die after about 18 months
Just remember that all Lithium Ion Batteries die at about this time in their life. No matter what portable device you may be using (iriver, Dell's, etc.) if it gets a good workout, the battery will not last forever.

This rumour going around that iPod batteries just "give up" after 18mos is misleading. All batteries give up at some point, and 18mos is a very long time for a battery that has seen a lot of action.

Oh, and if you want to get an extra/replacement battery for the iPod, do a google search. there are many many places that sell them for well under 100$.

note: I don't own a iPod, I just hate when people post misleading information about them.

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
the iriver uses a different battery but i was wondering is it possible to change the irivers battery? Like I know you can with the ipod, even though iriver claims it is good for 6 years companies tend to stretch that a little, and I really dont like the idea of a 500$ (canadian) disposable mp3 player

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
I just purchased a 40GB Creative Labs Nomad Zen Xtra. I had a 10% off coupon from Best Buy that I used. I ended up getting it for $300.00 which is $200 cheaper than an iPod. I also had the guy toss in the 4-yr. extended warranty. I don't normally 'do' extended warranties but the four year warranty seemed like a good idea. And it was very inexpensive. $30.00, I think.

My PC is older and I plan on replacing it soon. I didn't like the idea of the iPod solely using a FireWire card. My computer doesn't have that. I was told by an Apple representative that I could purchase their Firewire to USB2.0 adaptor for $55, however, there would be some sound degradation. *shrug* Take that for what it's worth. But that was right out of the mouth of Michael Campbell, an Apple representative at the store here at our local mall. He advised I should either upgrade my PC or buy a Firewire card. He did not suggest the adaptor even though it was something they sold.

With that said, I have been more than impressed with my Zen. It doesn't get anymore intuitive than that. I played with the iPod that same day at the Apple store before I headed out to Best Buy. Not sure what the big deal is. Sound quality with a standard CBR 128kbps .mp3 was cleaner and didn't sound so "flat" to me with the Zen when compared to the iPod. That's relative speaking, of course. The software it comes with it doesn't get any simpler and every computer has either USB 1.0 or 2.0, whereas not every computer comes with a FireWire card. The fact that the same amount of space costs $200 *less* than the iPod was obviously a huge factor, as well. Although, it is a bit larger than an iPod, this was not something that concerned me. It's still quite portable and very well built.

*shrug* My two cents.

Scott.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yep I just bought a 40gb Xtra Zen myself and am loving it, well except for the awful case provided.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
*nod* The case is kinda funky but still protective. I just find myself insuring it's quite snug in the case while trying to snap it close. haha.

Scott.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
I like the size of the ipod and I find the ui more intuitive than the nomad zen. I also happen to think the ipod sounds better. I haven't played with one of those 'xtra' ones, but I assume they're pretty much the same?

I was told by an Apple representative that I could purchase their Firewire to USB2.0 adaptor for $55, however, there would be some sound degradation. *shrug* Take that for what it's worth.
Not a lot, sound quality is not what will suffer, transfer rate to your player is. You can get a firewire card for $15, I don't see how they sell any of those stupid adapters.

There's no announced 4th gen ipod or even any vaguely substantiated rumors, so I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Scott the case it comes with is pretty terrible I can't even get the unit to fit in it properly and snap the cover shut

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Hey all you guys with the Zen, what the Deal on Powering off the unit? There seems to be no stop button, you just turn the unit off? How does this affect the units Hard Drive? Does it really turn off or just power down I ask this because ut resumes play pretty quick

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
I thought this was kinda odd at first. But I do like how it immediately begins playback. Whenever I need to stop the unit, I just pause whatever song I'm on. If I'm going to be away for a short while, I leave it paused. If not, I pause the song and then power down.

Scott.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well I guess since the player stores the mp3 playing into flash memory (Which gets held till the next time started) it does not do anything by just turning it off

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
It's kind of like a computer, in that whatever is playing (and in the case of the ipod, 32 megs worth of whatever playlist you're on) is in ram. The device usually stays in a suspend sort of state for a day or two, if you don't mess with it before then it completely powers down.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks