Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

First there was 4 channel...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Edwin_C

Edwin_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 08:45 PM

surround, then there was 5.1 channel surround, then there was 6.1 channel surround, and now there's an official 7.l channel surround. What'll be next?

Look at the trend.

First there was 4 channel, which was the left center right and surround.

Then there was 5.1 channel, a huge jump from 4 channel surround. It gave way to 5 discrete channels and 1 lfe. For that there was FL, C, FR, SL, SR

Then there was 6.1 channel, a derivative of 5.1 and 4 channel surround. The rear array is similar to 4 channels minus the surround.

Now there's 7.1 channel, seems like a full derivative off of 5.1 and 4 channel surround. Utilizing the "LCR" of the 4 channel surround to derive the rear channels. However, unlike 6.1, 7.1 seems to utilize LCRS. Not to say that that's how it exactly is, but is anybody else seeing this pattern?

Soon, with fully discrete 5.1 audio, they'll be matrixing material similar to PL2 to yield 8.1 channel audio.

I don't think 8.1 would ever reach home though. Unless they decide to have an overhead effects channel, but that'd be too much trouble.

p.s. by they I mean dolby, since DTS doesn't utilize matrix decoding except with Neo.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt

Screenwriter

• 2,344 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 09:48 PM

There have been a handful of discrete 7.1-channel formats available for over ten years now, just not in domestic variants. These formats appeared well before the current 5.1 ('6.1') extended surround formats, in fact. As far as I know, discrete 6.1-channel is the current limit in the home; what is this 8.1-channel format you mention?

DTS uses matrixed decoding for DTS-ES Matrix 6.1. Matrix decoding techniques are also a fundamental part of DTS-ES Discrete 6.1.

Adam

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Edwin_C

Edwin_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted September 13 2003 - 10:05 AM

I'm talking about an official, non-manufacturor 7.1 channel format. Well, there has been SDDS but that's cinema only.

7.1 channel format for the home isn't discrete, and if they do come out with a 8.1 channel format then I don't believe that'll be discrete either. All that'll be required is a 5.1 discrete channel format, and the 2 rear surrounds can be put through a matrix decoder similar to pro-logic 2 to yield a 8.1 channel format. I'm not saying that it does exist just yet, rather that it's a possibility.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted September 13 2003 - 03:20 PM

Is there a question or a point in all that? Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted September 18 2003 - 02:07 PM

Damn. I was hoping for a 7.1 encoded DVD Posted Image
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   BrentPollard

BrentPollard

Second Unit

• 447 posts

Posted September 19 2003 - 03:36 AM

"Bring it on man!"Posted Image

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted September 19 2003 - 03:42 AM

Quote:
7.1 channel format for the home isn't discrete

Which is another way of saying there's no "7.1" channel format for the home. The notation "x.y" refers to discrete channels only, despite the increasing misuse by hardware manufacturers who like to call their equipment "7.1" when all they've done is add more outputs.

As Adam said, the current home formats are limited to 6.1. The lion's share of software for the home market is either 5.1 or 2.0. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   BenSC

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator

• 190 posts

Posted September 19 2003 - 04:56 AM

This thread got me thinking about matrixing and how it works/etc. Could matrixing be the next step in a horizontal line array?

Take a 5.1 audio sample for instance. You have 4 independent effect/music channels, a center (mostly used for voice or straight on effects), and an LFE. What if instead of the 4 outside monitors, you were surrounded by say, 10, 20, 30, however many speakers your room could fit.

To simplify things, I'll take Left and Right channels. Matric them, so I have a center effects/music channel:

L C R

Now, I matrix the Left/Center, and the Right/Center, to create two more channels:

L LC C RC R

Then we matrix L/LC, LC/C, C/RC, RC/R:

L LLC LC LCC C RCC RC RRC R

And it could go on and on. Using independent small monitors for each of the matrixed channels, could this not represent a fluid line array, especially if you could account delay into the process, and create a circle with the monitors? Granted, acoustically tuning this theoretical room would be exhausting, but just something I had in my head.
- Ben

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt

Screenwriter

• 2,344 posts

Posted September 20 2003 - 11:05 PM

Ben, if someone really wanted to do this they could, but it would be quite an exercise.

The ideal number of speakers/channels for a home theatre system is an interesting topic (take a look here for more), and there's no doubt there would be advantages to more channels.

However, the limitations inherent to matrixing would make discrete channels preferable. An additional pair across the front soundstage and a pair of height channels (which would add something no number of channels along the horizontal plane can) would add a great deal to the listening experience.

Adam