What's new

Stuart Gordon's FROM BEYOND (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
Here's a movie that deserves top notch DVD treatment - Stuart Gordon's From Beyond Anyone know the status of this?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
It's out in Hong Kong. Full-frame with non-removable Chinese subs. It's legit but I'd rather wait for a better release.

Jeff

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
It's an MGM title in the US, and word has it that they are working on it for DVD release. I believe Stuart Gordon has mentioned working on the disc recently.

DJ

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
In these dire times, when good horror films are few and far between, I can't wait for a class act like From Beyond to hit DVD...Just in time for my Halloween festival (hopefully.)

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
It's an MGM title in the US
I don't know what to make of that, knowing how MGM treats it's back catalogue titles.

I really do hope that Blue Underground swoops in and does something with this - everything I have seen from them so far has been pure quality.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I would expect From Beyond to be part of the next wave of Midnite Movie discs. At the earliest, we'll see it in April, but more likely, it will be out next August. I can wait.

david kennedy

Stunt Coordinator
I am pretty sure i saw from From Beyond but i can only think of the movie The Beyond by Fulci. Who was in From Beyond.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Jeffrey Combs, Barbara Crampton & Ken Foree.

Ooh, if only they could find the unrated footage of Barbara Crampton's bondage sequence...

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
"From Beyond" is a horror movie based on an H.P. Lovecraft story starring the three actors that Mark listed above. I have it on VHS and like the movie. The nudity in the film is a bit extreme although not objectionable IMHO. I also liked it because of the performance by Ken Foree, one of my favorite actors of "Dawn of the Dead" fame. I have never run across this in DVD form and would definately pick up a copy if presented in widescreen DTS or DD 5.1 format.

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
"From Beyond" is a horror movie based on an H.P. Lovecraft story starring the three actors that Mark listed above.
More of a sequel to the HPL short story, but its my favorite Stuart Gordon film. From Beyond certaintly captures the "lovecraftian" style often missed in other adaptations of his work.

Oh, Brian Yuzna (Stuarts producer) just released ReAnimator 3.... but not in the USA. I wonder how long before that is a DVD? Or at least a VHS?
They did the same thing with Dagon.. Do they think there is no audience anymore for slocky horror? Heck, Freddy vs Jason raked it ALOT of money.

-Nick

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
Apparently, this version looks pretty damn good from what I've read, but it's full frame.
And its PAL... :)
Still, I'm tempted, even if I can only watch it on my PC..

The FULL FRAME doesnt bother me because I've read that Gordon frames his moves both for wide and full screen... (as he expects to make most of his money in the rental market).

Still...I'd prefer a nice widescreen, as long as they don't use that silly fake widescreen system used on "Bride of Reanimator". It never worked on my old Proscan player, and I don't think they could do that anomorphically?

nick

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
I'd definitely get this if it were released. Is there an unrated cut and if so what are the chances we'll get it?
As he did in Dawn, Ken Foree kicks ass in From Beyond as Bubba.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
More of a sequel to the HPL short story, but its my favorite Stuart Gordon film. From Beyond certaintly captures the "lovecraftian" style often missed in other adaptations of his work.
The only Stuart Gordon film I can stand is Dagon (And also his most Lovecraftian IMHO). From Beyond may have a touch of Lovecraft, but it just isn't my cup of tea.

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
Anyone know or hear if the H.P. Lovecraft movie "From Beyond" is in the works for DVD for Region 1? I have seen it for sale on ebay but they are "all region" DVDs. This is a movie I'd love to own on DVD. I have the VHS version but DVD would be much better. In my opinion, all H.P. Lovecraft's movies should be on DVD. Love the Barbara Crampton!

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to see this on DVD, I'm surprised no one has released it. I have no idea who owns it, I don't think it even came out on Laser.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The original poster is wise to this, but if you're "pinealing" away for a fix, there is an English-language/Chinese subs version available from a Hong Kong source, all-region (NTSC) and LTXed but not enhanced. It's as bare-bones as can be but I've had it for four years now. Ocean Shores (www.ocean-shores.com)put it out and maybe you can bypass ebay that way. It's not much of a disc but it'll have to do until an alternative shows up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks