Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Watched VHS last night with PL2 sound . . .

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Thomas B

Thomas B

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted August 13 2001 - 06:04 PM

I haven't watched a VHS tape since I bought my Sony DVD player almost 2 years ago. Howvever, I do have a collection of VHS tapes, so I wanted to check out the sound of Dolby ProLogic 2 on my new Onkyo 595 receiver. My family and I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark last night, and the sound was impressive . . . better than old ProLogic, but, of course, not up to DD. Some dialog occassionally bled to the left front channel, but the surround effects were an improvement over old PL1. Anyway, the most obvious aspect that hit me while watching Raiders was how POOR the picture quality really is compared to DVD! Prior to getting my DVD player, I thought the picture quality on my Panasonic VHS and my Mitsubishi TV was pretty good. Man, was I wrong! My wife commented on the difference, as well. DVD has definitely spoiled me. (And when will Raiders FINALLY be released on DVD?!?!? I can't wait for that one!)

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted August 13 2001 - 10:02 PM

Possibly 2002 for the DVD.

I can't stand seeing that favorite movie of mine in Pan and Scan (crap vision) let alone VHS. I don't know how you sat through it. You're a braver man than me. Posted Image

Dan

------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted August 13 2001 - 10:20 PM

[quote]

I can't stand seeing that favorite movie of mine in Pan and Scan (crap vision) let alone VHS.

[quote]

You'd rather watch a pan-and-scan DVD of it than a widescreen VHS tape?

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted August 13 2001 - 10:44 PM

If it was only in widescreen on VHS, I'd wait until the studio came to its senses (or I'd start a campaign to get them to stop smoking the stuff that's making their brains turn to mush). Or, I'd be searching high and low for the widescreen laserdiscs. Dan ------------------ Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users