What's new

More Saturday Night Live in October (1 Viewer)

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I would really like to have a Gilda Radner collection released? Is there some sort of reason why the classic cast members are not getting releases?

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I think it's a case of these cast members being fresh in people's minds.

Hey, here's a question for you guys...would anyone be interested in season sets of the show? If so, where would they start? First season....one of the "best" seasons? What if they couldn't clear the music for something...leave it out? I've always wondered what fans of the show would be interested in.

Gord

MarkBurton

Second Unit
Looks like a new Best of Mike Myers is coming out. There is a flyer in the Best of Molly Shannon, Will Ferrill and Adam Sandler that shows a picture of the box. The 25th Anniversary Music Set does not have this flyer.

The Best of Adam Sandler has a photo gallery as a bonus feature. However, the Conan O'Brien Interview and the Red Hooded Sweatshirt that are on the previous version have been removed from the new version.

No reason for me to upgrade on the Adam Sandler as the Red Hooded Sweatshirt is one of my all time favorites.

I highly recommend the Will Ferrill disk. It has several bonus features (including a very very funny unaired skit). The Molly Shannon disk has a skit that they said was unaired, but I know I have seen it before.

Nick Totoro

Stunt Coordinator
The Eddie Murphy disc makes me happy, especially considering it was a total surprise to me when I saw its availability. I've worn out that videotape over the years. The skits on it have become things of legend in my circle of friends.

Nick

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Although it may be virtually impossible to do so, I'd literally go insane if they decided to go ahead with season sets of the show!! That would definitely be something I'd proudly show off to people! If it were to happen, I'd say start at the very beginning. First episode from October 1975 with George Carlin, and release every episode from there. That would be the best!

Music-wise, sure it would be great to have the classic performances, but more often than not, Saturday Night Live showcased bands I never really listened to, therefore, I'd end up channel surfing until the performance came to an end. So I really wouldn't shed a tear if the musical acts were cut.

Mind you, in some cases, it would be beneficial to have certain acts. For example, Sinead O'Connor ripping a picture of the Pope, Elvis Costello spontaneously switching from one song to another ON-AIR. Not to mention (I've heard about this, but have not seen it) Paul Schaffer saying the "F" word on the air, which resulted in him getting fired.

But to see every single sketch in its entirety (even the crappy ones) would be great. Mind you, the seasons between 1980 to 1985 probably wouldn't sell all too well........perhaps the only decent cast member of that era (Eddie Murphy) may be those seasons' saving grace. lol. But I say bring it on!! It has to be better than these "best-of's", especially when some of the sketches they showcase aren't all that great to begin with most of the time.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hey, here's a question for you guys...would anyone be interested in season sets of the show? If so, where would they start? First season....one of the "best" seasons? What if they couldn't clear the music for something...leave it out? I've always wondered what fans of the show would be interested in.
About, oh 8 years ago, TIME/LIFE offered The
Best Of Saturday Night Live
in season sets
on VHS.

Started with 1975 and went on up to (I think) 1995.
One 90-60 minute tape was dedicated to each year.

In addition, there was a BEST OF Mr. BILL tape.

I bought 'em all.

Surprised that TIME/LIFE has not rehashed these
on DVD.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
I just got the Eddie Murphy Best of Saturday Night Live, and it's very disappointing.

I thought this was going to be the laserdisc version, but I can tell you, it's far from it. When comparing to the laserdisc version, the DVD has about 5 new skits (and most suck), but is missing over half that appeard on the laserdisc even though the running times for the LD and DVD are close.

Second, some skits are edited in a good way (Eddie Murphy as Richard Simmons, much longer than the previously released versions), while others like "It's only Rock n Roll" that has Eddie Murphy as the 'Fifth Beatle' is heavily edited. Gone is the part where he plays some Beatles music with Eddie playing sax on it, or his monologue on 'Love me Do'.

Not to mention the "Gumby Christmas Special", after he hangs Sammy Davis Jr's eye on the tree, the skit ends (skit is easily 5 minutes longer on the VHS I have)

I can't tell if this is just another version of 'the best of Eddie Murphy' or what, but I am now keeping the laserdisc to dub onto a DVD-R. Sad, very sad

Chuck L

Screenwriter
As much as what I love SNL...I will not purchase a single DVD from them until they realize that there was more women talent on this show aside from Molly Shannon. She fails in talent compared to that of Gilda or Jan.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Season sets would be something I'd have to think long and hard about as to whether or not I'd buy them, but it would be tempting and it wouldn't matter if the music was there or not.

I would also like a best of Phil Hartman disc. We need something like best Presidential impressions or something. I can't get enough of Dana Carvey as George H. W. Bush

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Out of all the comics that appeared on
Saturday Night Live, my favorite is Phil
Hartman

By far, the most talented of all the SNL
cast members.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I'd like a collection of their skits about the 2000 election. Throw in some other political stuff if their's some room left.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks