-

Photo
- - - - -

More Saturday Night Live in October

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 MarkBurton

MarkBurton

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 09:57 AM

Look for the following on Oct 28th:

Halloween
http://www.dvdempire....item_id=547868

Christmas
http://www.dvdempire....item_id=547873

The Best of Chris Farley (new cover)
http://www.dvdempire....item_id=547876
Posted Image

The Best of Dana Carvey (new cover)
http://www.dvdempire....item_id=547875
Posted Image
Doctorrrrrrrrr....Acula!

#2 of 17 MarkBurton

MarkBurton

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 10:14 AM

Please refer to this thread for the 08/12/03 releases:
http://www.hometheat....hreadid=148301

25 Years of Music
http://www.dvdempire....item_id=538018
Posted Image

Best of Will Ferrill
http://www.dvdempire....item_id=538037
Posted Image

Best of Molly Shannon
http://www.dvdempire....item_id=538036
Posted Image

Best of Adam Sandler (new cover)
http://www.dvdempire....item_id=538046
Posted Image

Best of Eddie Murphy
http://www.bestbuy.c....5&type=product
Doctorrrrrrrrr....Acula!

#3 of 17 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,149 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted August 06 2003 - 11:25 PM

You know what I'd love? A DVD with a collection of their commercial parodies.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4 of 17 Chuck L

Chuck L

Screenwriter

• 1,008 posts

Posted August 07 2003 - 12:16 AM

I would really like to have a Gilda Radner collection released? Is there some sort of reason why the classic cast members are not getting releases?

#5 of 17 Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted August 07 2003 - 12:45 AM

I think it's a case of these cast members being fresh in people's minds.

Hey, here's a question for you guys...would anyone be interested in season sets of the show? If so, where would they start? First season....one of the "best" seasons? What if they couldn't clear the music for something...leave it out? I've always wondered what fans of the show would be interested in.

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#6 of 17 MarkBurton

MarkBurton

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted August 07 2003 - 05:51 AM

Looks like a new Best of Mike Myers is coming out. There is a flyer in the Best of Molly Shannon, Will Ferrill and Adam Sandler that shows a picture of the box. The 25th Anniversary Music Set does not have this flyer.

The Best of Adam Sandler has a photo gallery as a bonus feature. However, the Conan O'Brien Interview and the Red Hooded Sweatshirt that are on the previous version have been removed from the new version.

No reason for me to upgrade on the Adam Sandler as the Red Hooded Sweatshirt is one of my all time favorites.

I highly recommend the Will Ferrill disk. It has several bonus features (including a very very funny unaired skit). The Molly Shannon disk has a skit that they said was unaired, but I know I have seen it before.
Doctorrrrrrrrr....Acula!

#7 of 17 Nick Totoro

Nick Totoro

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted August 07 2003 - 06:20 AM

The Eddie Murphy disc makes me happy, especially considering it was a total surprise to me when I saw its availability. I've worn out that videotape over the years. The skits on it have become things of legend in my circle of friends.

Nick

#8 of 17 Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted August 07 2003 - 11:09 AM

Although it may be virtually impossible to do so, I'd literally go insane if they decided to go ahead with season sets of the show!! That would definitely be something I'd proudly show off to people! If it were to happen, I'd say start at the very beginning. First episode from October 1975 with George Carlin, and release every episode from there. That would be the best!

Music-wise, sure it would be great to have the classic performances, but more often than not, Saturday Night Live showcased bands I never really listened to, therefore, I'd end up channel surfing until the performance came to an end. So I really wouldn't shed a tear if the musical acts were cut.

Mind you, in some cases, it would be beneficial to have certain acts. For example, Sinead O'Connor ripping a picture of the Pope, Elvis Costello spontaneously switching from one song to another ON-AIR. Not to mention (I've heard about this, but have not seen it) Paul Schaffer saying the "F" word on the air, which resulted in him getting fired.

But to see every single sketch in its entirety (even the crappy ones) would be great. Mind you, the seasons between 1980 to 1985 probably wouldn't sell all too well........perhaps the only decent cast member of that era (Eddie Murphy) may be those seasons' saving grace. lol. But I say bring it on!! It has to be better than these "best-of's", especially when some of the sketches they showcase aren't all that great to begin with most of the time.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#9 of 17 Josh Sieg

Josh Sieg

Second Unit

• 285 posts

Posted August 07 2003 - 12:05 PM

I can't wait for the best of Will Ferrell!!!
My favorites:

#10 of 17 MarkBurton

MarkBurton

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 04:51 AM

More info from Time-Life...
http://www.timelife.....CategoryName=4

Posted Image
Doctorrrrrrrrr....Acula!

#11 of 17 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,707 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 05:30 AM

Quote:
Hey, here's a question for you guys...would anyone be interested in season sets of the show? If so, where would they start? First season....one of the "best" seasons? What if they couldn't clear the music for something...leave it out? I've always wondered what fans of the show would be interested in.

About, oh 8 years ago, TIME/LIFE offered The
Best Of Saturday Night Live
in season sets
on VHS.

Started with 1975 and went on up to (I think) 1995.
One 90-60 minute tape was dedicated to each year.

In addition, there was a BEST OF Mr. BILL tape.

I bought 'em all.

Surprised that TIME/LIFE has not rehashed these
on DVD.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#12 of 17 Brian-W

Brian-W

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted October 28 2003 - 05:41 AM

I just got the Eddie Murphy Best of Saturday Night Live, and it's very disappointing.

I thought this was going to be the laserdisc version, but I can tell you, it's far from it. When comparing to the laserdisc version, the DVD has about 5 new skits (and most suck), but is missing over half that appeard on the laserdisc even though the running times for the LD and DVD are close.

Second, some skits are edited in a good way (Eddie Murphy as Richard Simmons, much longer than the previously released versions), while others like "It's only Rock n Roll" that has Eddie Murphy as the 'Fifth Beatle' is heavily edited. Gone is the part where he plays some Beatles music with Eddie playing sax on it, or his monologue on 'Love me Do'.

Not to mention the "Gumby Christmas Special", after he hangs Sammy Davis Jr's eye on the tree, the skit ends (skit is easily 5 minutes longer on the VHS I have)

I can't tell if this is just another version of 'the best of Eddie Murphy' or what, but I am now keeping the laserdisc to dub onto a DVD-R. Sad, very sad
* No longer looking for Hi-Vision Laserdiscs *
(I buried that format)

www.16cylinder.com
www.jet-x.com

#13 of 17 Chuck L

Chuck L

Screenwriter

• 1,008 posts

Posted October 28 2003 - 06:55 AM

As much as what I love SNL...I will not purchase a single DVD from them until they realize that there was more women talent on this show aside from Molly Shannon. She fails in talent compared to that of Gilda or Jan.

#14 of 17 Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted October 28 2003 - 07:59 AM

Season sets would be something I'd have to think long and hard about as to whether or not I'd buy them, but it would be tempting and it wouldn't matter if the music was there or not.

I would also like a best of Phil Hartman disc. We need something like best Presidential impressions or something. I can't get enough of Dana Carvey as George H. W. Bush

#15 of 17 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted October 28 2003 - 08:23 AM

Quote:
I would also like a best of Phil Hartman disc.
Me too! They have in on VHS, so why not DVD???????

Maybe I should discuss this with my caveman lawyer. Posted Image

#16 of 17 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,707 posts

Posted October 28 2003 - 09:43 AM

Out of all the comics that appeared on
Saturday Night Live, my favorite is Phil
Hartman

By far, the most talented of all the SNL
cast members.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#17 of 17 Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted November 02 2003 - 12:45 PM

I'd like a collection of their skits about the 2000 election. Throw in some other political stuff if their's some room left.
My Collection

Forum Nav Content I Follow