Photo
- - - - -

Will Peter Jackson or anyone else make "The Hobbit"?? (MERGED THREAD)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 of 79 todd s

todd s

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,807 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 01:09 AM

Just wondering with the success of the LOTR. Will Peter Jackson or New Line make the Hobbit. And if they do. I hope they can get Ian McKellen to reprise his role. Has anyone heard anything?
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#2 of 79 Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted August 06 2003 - 01:51 AM

the latest I have heard is that Jackson wants to do The Hobbit at some point but the rights to the book are tied up with a number of studios as well as New Line I think

Ian McKellen has already stated he wants to do Gandalf.

#3 of 79 DaveBB

DaveBB

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 02:56 AM

Doesn't Harvey Weinstein (from Mirimax) have his slimey fat paws in the LOTR cookie jar becuase he bought some or all of the rights long ago. He's listed as one of the producers even though I read he supposedly had nothing to do with production.

#4 of 79 DavidBL

DavidBL

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 03:41 AM

From the most recent fan mag interview with Peter Jackson:

Quote:
Q: Do you think we will ever see a live action version of The Hobbit, and, if so, would you be interested in being involved?

A: The answer to that is that New Line has never brought the topic up, if you can believe that. In the four or five years we've been working on this, the subject of The Hobbit has never come up once. I have literally never had a conversation with anyone from the studio about it. That is probably due to the fact that the film rights are not as easily available as The Lord of the Rings rights. Obviously, New Line own The Lord of the Rings rights, and though their original deal included the film rights to The Hobbit, the problem is that United Artists have the U.S. distribution rights to The Hobbit so even though New Line could make a feature film of The Hobbit, it would have to be distributed in the U.S. by United Artists. It could be distributed by New Line in foreign territories. I don't know about the video rights and who that would come under, but the film rights are a little bit encumbered at the moment, and I have no idea if New Line and United Artists have had any conversations.

PJ then discusses how he's a little surprised that New Line hasn't brought it up given the success of the LOTR trilogy, and that he would be interested in participating.

The whole interview (scanned) is
here.

#5 of 79 todd s

todd s

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,807 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 04:08 AM

If they decide to make the Hobbit. Who should play Bilbo? I think Ian Holm is too old. Also, besides Gandalf, who from LOTR would be in the Hobbit?
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#6 of 79 DavidBL

DavidBL

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 04:15 AM

Quote:
Also, besides Gandalf, who from LOTR would be in the Hobbit?

Elrond. Relatively speaking, he doesn't age much between the two books. Hopefully Hugo Weaving would be willing, it's not a huge role for The Hobbit but it is there.

Also Gloin father of Gimli (probably one of the older looking, non speaking dwarves at the Council of Elrond in FOTR), but like Bilbo, would be younger and a different actor could easily be used. And his part was so small in FOTR most casual viewers would never make the connection that it was the same character.

EDIT:

And of course Gollum, who's already in the computer but you'd need Andy Serkis back to keep the movement style and voice consistent.

#7 of 79 Ben Osborne

Ben Osborne

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 05:57 AM

Saruman and Galadriel participant in attack on Dol Guldor along with Gandalf and Elrond. I would think that the attack would be included in the movie, even though we only hear a secondhand account of it from Gandalf in the book. It would be a cool way to establish more links between the Hobbit and LOTR.

#8 of 79 Andy_S

Andy_S

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 06:11 AM

Quote:
I think Ian Holm is too old.

Once Bilbo found the ring, he stopped aging (or almost stopped) so the Bilbo we see in Fellowship is very close to what he looked like when he found the ring in the Hobbit. If he played the part and was made up to look like the flashback in Fellowship (when he first finds the ring) I'd be okay with that.
Check out my:
Home Theater (Updated February 9th)
Artwork
Home Built MAME cabinet
Sci-Fi Models

#9 of 79 Skyler

Skyler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 06:53 AM

I was wondering if Peter Jackson would make The Hobbit after the trilogy is complete. It would make PERFECT SENSE. I was an excellent book that would make an outstanding prequel.
DVD Aficionado
My DVD Profiler

"Nobody puts Baby in a Corner!"

#10 of 79 Eric C D

Eric C D

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 06:57 AM

I think Mr. Jackson has done his bit - I won't be surprised if this is a "no." But I think the movie studio would be smart to use the in-place infrastructure, hire another director, and do it. Perhaps Mr. Jackson would exec produce in some role and help out (maybe select a good director and spend some time with him so that the feel is similar).

Just dreaming,

Eric

#11 of 79 Dick

Dick

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,724 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 07:01 AM

Yeah. I enjoy the Rankin-Bass TV movie from the 70's, but it certainly isn't the detailed epic we would all like to have as a lead-in to the Jackson trilogy. My guess is that someone might tackle this project within a year or two of ROTK release, but I'd be surprised as hell if it was Jackson.

#12 of 79 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 12,060 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 07:04 AM

You might want to check out this thread which asks the same question. [Admin. note: The threads have now been merged.]

There are plenty of other threads that include this same discussion, but I don’t remember which right now.
¡Time is not my master!

#13 of 79 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, GA, USA

Posted August 06 2003 - 07:23 AM

The big question is how long will it be before this thread is moved to Movies.

#14 of 79 John Mansor

John Mansor

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 07:26 AM

I think it would be perfect if they used Ian Holm. But it seems unlikely considering the movie isn't even in production.

#15 of 79 todd s

todd s

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,807 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 07:32 AM

They can't use Ian Holm. You know Hollywood? They need someone young so they can make a sequel if the Hobbit is a big success. Posted Image:P)

#16 of 79 Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 07:55 AM

Ian has already played young Bilbo on FOTR in the prologue...so why not play him in Hobbit! Posted Image

#17 of 79 Mike Graham

Mike Graham

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 07:58 AM

I can't see Jackson being interested in a fantasy epic, let alone a Tolkien adventure, for a long, long time. However, I wouldn't be surprised if maybe he became interested in doing a prequel after he's made King Kong, or some more character driven pieces like Heavenly Creatures in a decade or so (remember, Lucas made The Phantom Menace 16 years after Return Of The Jedi). While it seems unlikely he would want to be involved with the project, many fans a decade ago thought Lord Of The Rings or Spiderman would never make it to the big screen either.

#18 of 79 Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 07:58 AM

Yeah, I was just thinking about how this probably is the wrong forum for this... unless we start mulling over what would be included in The Hobbit DVD if it were ever made.

I'm sure there's a massive amount of speculation on this from very good sources at The One Ring Net

#19 of 79 Brenton

Brenton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 08:12 AM

If, by any chance, Peter Jackson isn't willing and/or able to direct, I have the perfect idea for who should. Everyone's favorite hobbit-turned-amateur-filmmaker Sean Astin! I think that would go over a lot better with fans than some stranger, as Sean already has such a huge LOTR connection.

#20 of 79 JasonTil

JasonTil

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted August 06 2003 - 08:41 AM

There is a big difference between being an "amateur filmmaker" and directing a big budget feature film. No studio in their right minds is going to risk this gem on a first-time director.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow