What's new

Will Peter Jackson or anyone else make "The Hobbit"?? (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
20th Century Fox put their well-established Alien franchise in the hands of first-time director David Fincher for Alien 3...

- Cryo

Brenton

Screenwriter
You're probably right, but I wonder if it would make any difference if he were sort of "under the tutelage" of PJ.

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator
Ian has already played young Bilbo on FOTR in the prologue...so why not play him in Hobbit!
I know I heard (DVD commentary?) or read somewhere that to get the "young Bilbo" shot they had to pull Ian Holm's skin on his face to get rid of some wrinkles-- sort of a temporary facelift. I doubt if he'd want to shoot an entire movie in that condition!

Rob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
I think the reason new Line hasn't talked about it is, a Hobbit movie would seem rather innocuous in light of the big actionpacked trilogy.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Ian has already played young Bilbo on FOTR in the prologue...so why not play him in Hobbit!
Yeah, four years ago he played Bilbo, and it would be at least 2-4 years until they started production on The Hobbit. That's a long time when you're in your seventies. He's just too old now. Even Ian McKellen said so. The role of Bilbo would require lots of running, jumping, climbing trees, etc., something a man close to 80 would probably have some difficulty doing.

I know McKellen said he had suggested to Jackson that it be done as a television miniseries.

There must be a British actor who resembles him who could play the role. Of course McKellen has already stated he'd like to reprise his role as Gandalf, if it's ever made. And why not John Rhys-Davies as Gimli's father Gloin? He had so much heavy makeup on anyway. All they'd have to do is change the prosthetics a little.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Can you imagine the bidding war for the Hobbit if it were to be aired on television?

Lars_J

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure PJ is (or will be) quite sick of LOTR after ROTK is finished - I know I would probably be. I hope he goes on to direct new projects...

Kami

Screenwriter
I'm sure PJ is (or will be) quite sick of LOTR after ROTK is finished
He just said (in the interview posted above) that he wants to be involved.

I really can't imagine The Hobbit or any other Middle-earth movie without PJ and Weta Workshop at the helm. I can almost guarantee any other team would make it flop. Even if PJ was a producer or something it would help tremendously I think.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I know McKellen said he had suggested to Jackson that it be done as a television miniseries.p
Which is actually how I thought LoTR should have been done (to give the story its proper due). I actually envision an entire season of 1-hour episodes, so about 45 minutes each with commercials, 24-27 episodes in a season. That would give LoTR approximately 18-20 hours which I think would be enough to give the story full justice. Since PJ's movies are going to end up being about 11 hours total with the Extended Editions, 18-20 seems about right.

And before ppl jump on me, I'm a fan of PJs LoTR movies (the first more than the second), and I realize even with 11 hours he's had to cut a lot out. I'm just saying that if I had "unlimited" resources to bring LoTR to the masses, it would be something like this.

If it had to be a theatrical release, I would split LoTR into its "official" books (which is to say six of them, not three) so I would have six 3-hour movies.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I realize even with 11 hours he's had to cut a lot out
Oh, yeah, he could re-edit LOTR as a loooong TV miniseries if he wanted to. It would not surprise me a bit if that hapens someday. The first rough cut of Fellowship was close to five hours, according to the DVD commentary, and we know there are scenes from both FOTR and TTT that are still not in the extended editions, such as the Orc attack as the fellowship enters Lothlorien in FOTR.

Mike Mundt

Stunt Coordinator
First of all ill tell you exactly why you can use Ian holm. They use stand ins and digitally replace there faces all the time. Do you honestly think christopher lee did all that lightsaber dueling?? HAH. (and Christopher Lee was 79 when he did Ep II according to the commentary) 2nd of all ive heard some very good points, he would look the same age only the difference from the beginning of the book to when he finally finds the ring ( i dont remember the exact length of time because i haven't read it in a while). In the prologe they taped back his face to make him look younger, so if its really a huge deal, im sure they can stick to that method. And what about the fact that just about every actor in that movie, credits "Ian Holm" as being one of the best actors around. Its gonna be pretty hard to get someone comparable to his skill level (not that its impossible, just difficult). Ive read something about Ian wants to play the part, or PJ wanting him to, or something along those lines. So if the studio can, i bet they would go with him because really they are fully capable of doing it.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
we know there are scenes from both FOTR and TTT that are still not in the extended editions, such as the Orc attack as the fellowship enters Lothlorien in FOTR.
Thank goodness that was cut. The last thing the FOTR needs is more action.

--
Holadem - especially right after the center piece of the movie, Gandalf's fall.

Galen_V

Second Unit
With makeup these days, it really won't be hard to recapture the look of Bilbo if they ever make The Hobbit. Have you seen any of the pictures of Ewan McGregor on the set of Episode III or any pictures of Michael Gambon(the new Dumbledore) on the set of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban? They look absolutely uncannily like their predecessors, Alec Guinness and Richard Harris, respectively.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
But check out this month's issue of PREMIERE (page 63): "Director Jackson recently said he'd be open to pulling a George Lucas by bringing THE HOBBIT, the prelude novel to THE LORD OF THE RINGS, to the screen."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks