What's new

Surpge Protector or power supply? (1 Viewer)

Alex-F-V

Stunt Coordinator
What do I need to get.....???
Does it matter what I have(or will have in this case)?
If its does then its:

A tv
5.1 set up
Reciever
DVD
VCR
And eventually a hdtv decoder and direct tv box

EDIT: Oh yeah if you have any suggestions as to a certain product I'd appriciate it. :D

MikeTrotter

Agent
What is your budget?With all the gear you listed I would chose something like a Monster Cable Power Bar 1100.Has enough outlets for all the gear you listed.Has surge and clean power.I think they retail for around 200.00 but probably could be found on ebay new for around 150 to 175.00.I personally use this unit on my second system.If this is in your price range this should fit your needs nicely.

Alex-F-V

Stunt Coordinator
Money is not the issue(as I figure its not going to be hundreds of dollars) but Do I really need a powersupply or can I get buy with a surge protector?

Luke_Lemmings

Stunt Coordinator
Power supplies can and do cost hundreds of dollars.

You can always get an el-cheapo surge protector from Radioshack but anything decent is going to cost upwards of $100 for a good surge protector and a high end power supply can cost well over a thousand.

Letting us know your budget will help a lot.

Alex-F-V

Stunt Coordinator
Well then what do I need?
Do I need a power supply or do i need a surge protector... or both?

Budget:$150-$200

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
The power supplies are actually power regulators. If you get brownouts or any power fluctuations, it would be a good idea to get a power regulator instead of just a surge protector.

The surge protectors must be better than the $15-30 models, as those will protect your system ONE TIME, and won't tell you that there is a burnt-out part in it that will not work for you the next time! They can, and will, fry everything in their path.

Glenn

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Alex

Bottom line, something is better than nothing.

If your area is pron to brown-outs and or power fluctuations/surges, a power conditioner/regulator might be worth looking into.

A simple surge/spike protector, even a cheaper 30-40 dollar one is worth your time.
Many of the cheap jobs as Glenn noted, cook the first "small spike" and if they have no ~{protection working light indicator}~, with the next small spike, some or all your equipment could be toast.
Again as Glenn noted--Fried!

Even the best line conditioner/surge protectors won't save you from a direct power line or home lighting hit.
POOF---> = :frowning:

Just my way of thinking:
A balance of how much moola I have in my equipment/system, (no fluctuating power problems here), to the amount I spend on a line surge protector is how I look at it.
If I had 500 dollars in my whole system, I cant see spending 300 to 500.00 on a top of the line, Power conditioner surge protector. If I new I was hooked and going to put some serious cash into a much higher end system later, then I might go for the very good one now.
JMO

We use 2-Isobar 6-DBS's in our main room. Decent product at a fair 77.00 price. Can be found cheaper on the net. We purchased ours threw Parts Express for less than the 77.00 price, as we have wholesale account with them.

As some of our elders told us when we where young, use some kind of protection boy! ;)

Regards
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks