What's new

Fisheye effect in movies (1 Viewer)

Josh Sieg

Second Unit
If anyone could help me out, I'd deeply appreciate it. I wanted to ask if there are any good films out there with use of the fisheye lense. I know it was used in Jackass The Movie. If you don't know what I'm talking about, look at this for example.

http://www.ishiboo.com/~nirva/Play/other/cp/fisheye.jpg

The fisheye lense has a large amount of what's called 'barrel distortion' which causes the outer image to curve. If anyone knows of any movies that have this effect, PLEASE let me know. Thanks! :D

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
That picture looks like "Alien-vision" in Alien3. BTW shouldn't this be in the movies section?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
hots shots pt 1.

but they called it wall eye i think,in the movie.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
BTW shouldn't this be in the movies section?
It should, and now it is.

Josh, I've converted your example to a link. We try to avoid large images in threads, because lots of members still access HTF over dial-up connections. Large images in threads hog the bandwidth.

M.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
In Three Kings there is a shot looking through nightgoggles in the daylight. The effect is a green distortion that is similar to fisheye. Looks pretty cool actually.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
It may or may not be a good movie to you, but The Cable Guy has a few scenes seen through an apartment door peephole.

KyleK

Second Unit
Terry Gilliam used this technique to achieve a feeling of large scale claustrophobia in Brazil.

Kyle:D

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Black Christmas uses this effect when the camera takes on the killers perspective.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A lot of movies that have segments "seen" thought a security camera use fisheyes. I'm pretty sure there are at least a couple scenes like that in Resident Evil. Brazil was already mentioned, and I'm pretty sure there are fisheye shots, particularly during the interrogation scenes in 12 Monkeys.

Night vision effects are completely different, unless they also happen to use a fisheye, but that would just be a coincidence since one has nothing to do with the other.

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
Look no further than John Frankenheimer's Seconds for perhaps the definitive usage of fish-eye lens imagery in filmdom (photographed by the great James Wong Howe).

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I believe this was used in Requiem for a Dream as well. Is this look done by using a very small lens(mm)?
Thank you

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oh yeah, forgot Seconds and Requiem for a Dream. And I just watched Requiem a couple weeks ago.

Chad, the way the effect was used in Requiem is actually very similar to how it was used in Seconds, though the technique would have been different, since technology has avdanced a bit. Both of them used a camera with a very short lens, probably 4-6mm (or equivalent) strapped onto the actor. In the case of Seconds they would have had to strap the entire camera onto the the actor, where I think it may have actually been digital video, probably with a fiber optic unit or some type of wired sensor in Requiem. I seem to recall there being something like 100 digital shots in that film.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW Chad, a short lens alone does not create the "fisheye" effect. That comes from barrel distortion, like Josh already mentioned. You can get very short lenses which keep straight lines straight, but a fisheye curves straight lines progressively more as they get closer to the edge of the image. A straight line passing through the center of the image will still be straight.

Carlos Mendoza

Stunt Coordinator
Like the peephole scene in Cable Guy?

I hope that's what you mean.

I THINK also 5th Element?

Any movie with someone looking out of a peephole

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Was it used a bit near the end of 2001 - when Dave first enters the white room? Can't remember if it was fishyeye or not. Similar kind of effect.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Josh, virtually all lenses, particularly wide angle ones, have curved (convex) elements. That doesn't make them fisheyes. Every lens element must have a curvature of some sort, or it doesn't modify the path of light going through it, which is the whole purpose of a lens in the first place. Some wide angle lenses also have a bit of barrel distortion, but that doesn't make them fisheyes either. What makes a fisheye is severe barrel distortion, where straight lines curve severely toward the edges of the picture. If straight lines not going through the center of the picture are still reasonably straight, it is not a fisheye.

It has been too long since I've seen 2001 to remember if there are any fisheyes from HAL's POV or somewhere else, but I expect there are.

Jason Pancake

Stunt Coordinator
"Back to the Future" when George discovers Biff in the car with Loraine. When Biff is holding George's arm and the anger begins to build inside of George. That shot appears to use a fish eye lens.

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks