What's new

Buddy Ebsen gone at 95 (1 Viewer)

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Bob Thomas
AP via MyWay.com
June 7, 2003

Read the full article here

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Buddy Ebsen, the loose-limbed dancer turned Hollywood actor who achieved stardom and riches in the television series "The Beverly Hillbillies" and "Barnaby Jones," has died, a hospital official said Monday. He was 95.

Ebsen died Sunday morning at Torrance Memorial Medical Center in Torrance, said Pam Hope, an administrative nursing supervisor. He had been admitted to the hospital, near his home in Palos Verdes Estates, last month for treatment of an undisclosed illness.

Ebsen and his sister Vilma danced through Broadway shows and MGM musicals of the 1930s. When she retired, Ebsen continued on his own, dancing with Shirley Temple and turning dramatic actor.
Even though Ebsen lived a full life, he will be sorely missed. :frowning: I can still remember seeing Barnaby Jones during its first run on CBS--gawd, this makes me feel a bit old.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Thanks Eric for posting this, I just heard about it. Once more , another great one has gone on. We'll never forget his role as Jed Clampett from "The Beverly Hillbillies". R.I.P. Buddy...

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Wow and TCM was showing a lot of Wizard of Oz programming yesterday. Besides Jed Clampett I'll always know Buddy as Barnaby Jones.

I guess Heaven is the place to be right now!

RIP

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
What a miserable year!

We fans of 30s Hollywood are just getting it left and right.

Ebsen was a wonderful character actor and one of the few character actors where one could immediately place a name to the face. His warm, folksy style echoed rural sensibility and values, appealing to rural audiences with his familiarity and urban audiences with his naive farm boy charm.

As to films, HTFers will most likely remember him as playing Audrey Hepburn's lovelorn husband in Breakfast at Tiffany's a small but subtle role and one tailored to Ebsen's style of playing respectable hayseeds who somehow aren't objects of derision.

Thank you Buddy! Last of the great vaudevillians.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks