What's new

*** Official "SINBAD: LEGEND OF THE SEVEN SEAS" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Sinbad: Legend Of The Seven Seas" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Sinbad: Legend Of The Seven Seas" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Not much interest here at HTF. Not much interest, so far, for movie goers either.

1.5 million on Wednesday
1.6 million on Thursday
1.7 million on Friday
2.8 million on Saturday
2.2 million on Sunday

Appx 10 Million total.

#6 behind The Hulk.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
It's kind of sad really... :frowning:

I actually feel kind of bad for this movie... I didnt see it, but I still feel bad for the movie...

This is a pretty big flop... I dont know why they insist making pirate at sea type movies such as these??? It's a dead on arrival genre and has been for what seems like forever...

I think it's possible Pirates of the Carribean could do well, but with the success of pirate movies in the past, who knows???

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I would have felt bad if the movie is good, but it's only so so. It starts off promisingly with some good swashbuckling action that is more acrobatic than normal, and it got my hopes up. Think the short bursts of action in Princess Mononoke or the Animatrix: Program. The monster is cool, too. But after the opening, the movie is uninspired. And even compared to recent years adventure oriented animation movies, the voice acting is subpar. Pitt and Zeta Jones don't bring a lot of character. Not terrible, but a matinee showing at best.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
One of the many things Pixar has shown to be expert at is voice talent. As Disney does, they don't go after celebrities per say but rather good interesting voices. If I'm not mistaken, DreamWorks has only had moderate success in animation with Shrek being the only really big hit (soon probably to be surpassed in revenue by Nemo). It's a tough business.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
How would you compare this to Prince of Egypt? I thought that was fantastic, but Dreamworks' other animation films have felt a bit....lacking.

-Dave

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
I think this is Dreamworks' best animated feature since the 1998 double-shot of Antz and Prince of Egypt.

An excerpt from my review: "It's a big-scale adventure story that's told through animation more because of aesthetic necessity than demographic research. Combining 2D and 3D animation techniques, the movie brings together traditionally drawn characters and places with computer-rendered monsters. This is the logical technical advancement on Ray Harryhausen's effects for the Sinbad movies of the 1950s to the 70s, where stop-motion creatures intermingled with live-action environments."

Mark

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
A DreamWorks spokesperson said Nemo has too much momentum. Critics say a mostly 2D animated feature is of little interest to the audience anymore. Can you say "Lilo & Stitch"? It has to be a good film... even CGI extravaganzas don't do well if they are poor.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Two comments:

1) Box-office-wise, Sinbad is shaping up as a 'treasure planet' sized flop.

2) Those who thought "Shrek" heralded the ascendency of Dreamworks and the demise of Disney as the King of animation (box office wise) appear to have been mistaken.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I think the only 3D animated feature film to fail at the boxoffice has been the adult aimed Final Fantasy.

The list goes: (all domestic)(I believe this is all of them)

Toy Story: $192m
Antz: $90m
A Bug's Life: $163m
Toy Story 2: $245m
Dinosaur: $138m
Shrek: $268m
Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius: $81m
Final Fantasy: $36m
Monster's Inc.: $255m
Ice Age: $176m
Finding Nemo: $275m+

That is a pretty good track record for 3D animated movies. Only 1 scar on that list. I think it is true that selling a traditional 2d animated film is getting harder and harder.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
The movie's kind of blah, but it deserved a little more coin than THAT!

There are two or three really exciting bits; animation- and action-wise. But the script is all over the place and nowhere interesting. The lulls in between the noteworthy moments (which, admittedly, are very cool) overpower the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks