What's new

Long-time Listener, First-time Caller. (1 Viewer)

Randy_V

Auditioning
I am humbled after absorbing some of the vast knowledge shared by many of the contributors here. I hope my rookie status will allow me to ask some basic questions about my particular quest for HT components.

I'm in the process of a home remodel and need to buy a new surround sound system. The old JVC Receiver/Dolby processor, and the Cerwin-Vegas! need to be replaced with an updated system (hate to see those C-V speakers go).

The HT room is a multi-purpose living/entertaining/TV watching room. The TV/Living room is not huge - about 30' X 30'. I have a big-screen TV, dual deck DVD/VCR, Satellite Dish, CD stack player.

I prefer 4 wall-mounted satellite speakers (position adjustable type, not flush mount), 1 center channel and one powered subwoofer in the TV/Living room.
I have 2 outdoor speakers in the patio area, 2 speakers in the bedroom, 2 speakers in the kitchen - these are all wired through a switching box to the existing receiver/amplifier.

Ideally, I want a single unit AM/FM receiver with surround sound processing that can handle multiple channel outputs for the various other rooms - if such a unit exists.

Alternatively, I can use a separate receiver/processor/splitter box for the other rooms if necessary - though audio rack space is a limiting factor when considering having to add a separate switching unit.

I'm in a bit of a quandry as my HT budget is relatively small compared to the cost of the mega-systems I see discussed here. I'm looking at an initial outlay of $600-800 to get a fair starter system.

Can you suggest a particular make/model of receiver that is not super high-end, that has multiple output channels?

I do not want an integrated surround sound/DVD player.

Finally, do you recommend that I spend more money on the receiver/processor, or the speaker system - then upgrade the cheaper of the two when I have more cash for upgrades?

Your insights and assistance are greatly appreciate.

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
Randy,

Is the 600 to 800 bucks for everything or just for the receiver? If it's for evertyhing, your budget is very limiting and puts you more in the HTIB category. Your room is fairly large and you'll want a beefy receiver to power your system. Finding a good multizone receiver for your budget is probably doable, but then you still need speakers, so you may just want to upgrade a little at a time. If you give the HTF folks a little more to work with you might get a better reponse too, like going out and doing a little comparison listening and then coming back for further feedback.

Good luck!

BTW Yamaha is a good entry level receiver that often gets packaged with speakers at some stores. My first surround receiver was a Yamaha and I loved it.

Randy_V

Auditioning
Thanks Wade.

Yes, I hate to admit it, but that is my entire budget due to the bulk of my cash going into the house remodel.

I think I'm going to have to accept that I need to spend at least double that amount to get something half decent.

I'm sure I can get something for her Streisand collection...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks