What's new

Huge News! Fox in HD by 2004!! (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
For its high-definition broadcasts, the network will use a 720p transmission, the same as that used by ABC. Proponents say this format, which sends a complete picture 60 times a second, does a better job of reproducing the fast movements of sports. Both NBC and CBS transmit their HDTV programs using the interlaced 1080i format, which alternates sending odd and even lines, and thus sends a complete picture 30 times a second.
It's about time. :) Thanks for the news.

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
At least they aren't blowing smoke up anyones rumpus...fall of 2004 will take a while to get here. Too bad we can't watch skanky Hotel in HD now though. LOL

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I always wondered why ABC used 720p. How many televisions out there can accept and display native 720p? Also, how many HD receivers can do the same? I have HD through Time Warner cable, whose receiver box only outputs 1080i, so even if my television could display 720p, I don't have a 720p signal to send to it.

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
Everyone should use 720p IMHO....let the set top boxes downconvert to 1080i for those of us with 'lesser' displays, but allow the highest quality possible to those who can afford it!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Uggh, another 720p

The new sets need to start supporting it natively now that 2 stations are using it

Translation: 720p is cheaper to buy equipment for

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
Everyone should use 720p IMHO....let the set top boxes downconvert to 1080i for those of us with 'lesser' displays, but allow the highest quality possible to those who can afford it!
How many TVs are there that actually support 720p? Do you have one? I am genuinely curious as I would consider buying a television that supported 480p, 720p and 1080i natively. Is it clear that 720p is better than 1080i?

Matt Goddard

Stunt Coordinator
It probably varies from market to market, but it's been my limited experience that Fox affiliates may not have the same financial resources as other affiliates. While I know there are many high-tech, well-to-do Fox affiliates, I also know a lot of them have weaker broadcast signals and much smaller pockets than the other affiliates.

While I wish everyone the best, I wonder how long it will actually be before I see Fox in HD in my area. At least this gives me hope.

BrunoPC

Auditioning
I've got a Panasonic RPTV that does both 720P and 1080i. In my opinion, 720p looks smoother when there is a lot of motion (such as sports), but 1080i looks sharper when there is very little movement. For instance, prime time comedy shows look better in 1080i because they don't move around too fast.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Stupid Dumbass question...

Does this mean ALL fox shows will be broadcast in HD, or only select ones? Wonder if they'll waste the HD technology on the Fox box?

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
I always thought the reason Fox didn't do HD is because all their programming is low-rent reality shows or low-brow comedy and they couldn't afford the HD cams.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I second Neil's dumbass question. I know very little about HD. Do the stations that offer it always broadcast in HD?

--
Holadem

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
The HD stations I've seen will upscale SD content to their HD resolution (either 720p or 1080i), which of course doesn't magically make the picture more detailed.

As for not being able to see the difference, viewing distance is also a factor. But you'd have to be pretty far from a small screen not to notice.

//Ken

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
You know it's gotten high tech when people are talking about a 1080i image being not as good as something else.

Hey what about non digital cable sports, how do those bad boys look?

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Not sure what you mean. The only way digital cable figures in is that people with cable will probably get HD only if they get "digital" cable. But people can get HD over the air with a plain old analog antenna.

//Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks