What's new

Which PC based MMORPG are you playing? (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
After a two year absence from the online MMORPG world, I decided to resubscribe to my old Ultima Online: Renaissance account. It would seem the world of Brittania has become a virtual ghost town. It is no longer the thriving populous it was when I took my leave of it some years ago. Since I payed for a month, I'm going to play around a little with it, but it looks like most folk are off to other things now.

Which brings me to ask, what MMORPG are you playing now? I've fallen a bit behind in the times and am looking for a fresh game to play. What would you recommend for the PC?

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
I think EverQuest, Planetside and Dark Age of Camelot have the majority of the MMORPG players.

And then ShadowBane, Anarchy Online and Asheron's Call 2 to a lesser extent.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I quit my DAoC account a few months ago and haven't started playing anything else. Unfortunately there just doesn't seem to be any MMORPGs out right now that interest me. I was planning on playing SWG but a friend of mine (the one I play MMORPGs with) is in the beta and he's disappointed in it and cancelled his preorder. He just wasn't having much "fun" with the game (yes, I know it's still in beta). We're currently checking out Horizons and trying to get into the beta. The only MMORPG that I'm really interested in is Worlds of Warcraft and that won't be out for quite a while.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
You played one MMORPG, you played em all. Take the 1,000 hours you save by not playing one and do something useful like run a marathon, build a house, play a fun game ;)

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator
Hehehehe... I am still playing pretty regularly in Anarchy Online. I've tried out most of the MMORPG's: EVE, Earth and Beyod, Dark Age of Camelot, Asheron's Call 2, etc but most get BORING fast. Anarchy has kept me interested but, to be fair, I have changed professions several times (starting new characters) and every few months I move to another area of the gameworld that I haven't played in before. :)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Um, I don't play MMORPGs. I'm too cheap to pay a fee for them each month. Plus I am not that big into offline RPGs.

Keith Pepling

Auditioning
While not an PC game I have been playing nothing but EQOA for months now. As with all MMORPGs it is highly addictive. Obviously it's early in the life of the game so many changes are still to come. Since it is early for the game you will find many people that will be just like you and starting new.

Keith

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I sunk far too much time into DAOC, got my 3 lvl 50s and countless lowers but man o man is it a time sink :)

Though WoW may pull me back in. UO and Dark Age of Camelot aren't the same game at, just both have been giant time sinks in my life ;-)

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor
Played a lot of Asheron's Call Everquest, Dark Age. Been off my addiction for close to a year now. Nothing coming seems that great until WoW. I'll try to get my GF addicted so that I can justify my hours playing it when it comes out though :D

Christopher Cheadle

Stunt Coordinator
I still play Dark Age of Camelot occasionally, but most the time I would normally play an MMORPG on the PC I have spent on Phantasy Star Online for the Xbox. Not a true MMORPG I know, but I have become addicted to the voice communication and community. I can't wait to see how a true MMORPG functions with that feature, if one ever comes out for the 'box (True Fantasy Live Online?).

I have a couple of friends that play Asheron's Call 2, but I haven't given it a whirl yet. To those that have played it, how is it?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I pretty much play Everquest(65 warrior on Zeb), but I've tried and have friends who have tried the current generation of games and none of them have the depth of everquest. My friends quit eq and eventually come back because of the content.

As far as an EQ killer, I'd consider Worlds of Warcraft a possibility as well as Horizons which is going to beta soon.

Shadowbane is the current hot game but the graphics are 3rd grade level at best. The gameplay is so so and most of my diehard SB friend have said it barely holds their interest.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Thanks for the replies guys. I've been looking at Everquest more than the rest but I can't get past the 3rd person perspective. It looks pretty cheap to me.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I've been looking at Everquest more than the rest but I can't get past the 3rd person perspective
You can play EQ in third or first person. Like most MMO's the game leaves this option up to you. Most prefer third person but that doesn't stop you from playing it in first person.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
What are your opinions on this title so far, Romier?
Cant really give much of a specific opinion on any one thing at this point since they have a non-disclosure agreement on the title as of now. Being that the NDA is in place I can, in a generalized way, say that I am enjoying the game though I feel there is still a great amount of work left to be done before it goes live. I am hoping that Sony Online gives themselves time to make this the best MMO out there and not rush a product out to the market to meet a deadline.

BryanK

Stunt Coordinator
It looks like Galaxies is still set for release 6/26 or 28th I believe. The EB I deal with is getting ready for it. although one never knows?

Is anyone playing PlanetSide?
How is the game play?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
It looks like Galaxies is still set for release 6/26 or 28th I believe.
This is as of now not a set date. Q3P0 (Oe of the game devs) recently posted on the main forums announcing that the official release date would be unveiled next week. We'll have to wait and see.

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
June 26th

$15/mo. month-to-month
$14/mo. 3-month lease
$13/mo. 6-month lease
$12/mo. 12-month lease

I only got to play beta for the third wave, but I can say I really don't think it's ready for launch. It seems this is usually how it happens, though. "Let's get the game out and start making money already," has to be the war-cry of the non-programmer staff at LucasArts.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Yep I posted that in this thread last night but apparently the database problems wiped the post......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks