• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Kevin/Da

Kevin/Da

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted June 10 2003 - 02:52 PM

I've seen several threads about ebay scams involving wiring money to Bulgaria, but what about the dozens of listings that for $5.00 (more or less) will supply URLs for websites where you can buy various plasma TVs for $300-$500? Is this just a new twist?

I'm skeptical to say the leastPosted Image Skeptical AND curious...

Thanks.

Kevin
"No, it's because they're stupid. That's why everybody does everything." -Homer Simpson

#2 of 5 Richard Paul

Richard Paul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted June 10 2003 - 07:01 PM

It is a scam since any place that could sell GOOD plasma's for $300 and make a profit would be doing a bit more advertising.

#3 of 5 Christian_R

Christian_R

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 02:28 AM

It sounds like a scam, since wiring money in North America is dangerous enough, let alone off the continent.

I got cheated out of some electronics from a Projector "dealer" in Oklahoma who received my money and never sent any product.

He's been arrested for defrauding me and many others. I doubt I will see my money, but hopefully the courts will deal with him. It was an expensive lesson for me.

If anyone wants any details about what happened, (in case it's happened to you) feel free to send me an email:

dspcfi@yahoo.com

I have my inbox set to high filter so mark the subject line with Ebay scam or Projector Scam and I will mark it as a readable message.

Chris

#4 of 5 Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 07:16 AM

The plasma offer is a pyramid scheme. You pay to get in line for a tv. When enough people pay their $300.00 to buy a tv, the person at the top of the pyramid gets their tv. Then, the next person starts. It works great for the first couple of people, but, as in all pyramid schemes, it falls apart soon.

It's been all over the net recently. Don't fall for it.
Randy T.
Orlando, FL
ºoº Home of The Mouse!!!

"Oh, come on, guys. It's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays!"

#5 of 5 Andrew W

Andrew W

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted June 12 2003 - 05:49 AM

One of the latest eBay scams is to set up fake escrow account sites. Don't use any escrow sites that are not known to you. The scammers actually steal all the HTML pages from real sites, so they look legitimate.
Double check the address in your browser and make sure it's an approved eBay site.
Andrew in Austin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users