Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone pick up the new Steely Dan yet?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#1 of 41 OFFLINE   Philip_T

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

• 876 posts

Posted June 10 2003 - 06:24 AM

Was wondering what the initial reactions to this new release were. Regardless, I will be picking this up after work today.
Phil

#2 of 41 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted June 10 2003 - 07:40 AM

I was also wondering about this. I think it is 24/192 and recorded live to 2 track, mastered by Elliott Scheiner.

Sort of the trifecta for great sonics. Posted Image
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#3 of 41 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted June 10 2003 - 08:08 AM

I picked up the CD with bonus DVD today. I plan on listening to it next. I hope to get the DVD-A soon.

#4 of 41 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted June 10 2003 - 08:14 AM

The album was recorded to analog multitrack.

DVD-A details:

24/192 MLP PPCM Stereo
24/96 MLP PPCM Surround
DD 5.1 surround
DTS 5.1 surround
DD 2.0 stereo
13 minute edited video

No LPCM stereo playable on all players, sadly. But I'll be buying.

The bonus DVD with the CD has the full 22 minute video. Kind of irritating.

#5 of 41 OFFLINE   Michael_T

Michael_T

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted June 10 2003 - 08:17 AM

See my next post - as my post got duplicated somehow. So I edited this one.

If a moderator can - delete this post.

Thanks.

#6 of 41 OFFLINE   Michael_T

Michael_T

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted June 10 2003 - 08:20 AM

I got the DVD-A yesterday and listened to both the surround mix (96/24) and the stereo mix (192/24 - even though the package states 96/24) and it is typical Steely Dan.

To me it is a very enjoyable 41 minutes - but it doesn't really sound that much different from the last few studio albums "The Dan" has released. In fact to my ears it has a very similiar sound and groove as "Two Against Nature".

Nothing to jump for joy over (although any Steely Dan album these days might be something to delight in), but a good album nonetheless. Oh - Sound Quality - up there with the best DVD-Audio discs I have heard (and I have about 80+).

I also watched the bonus video (which on the DVD-A is 13 minutes long) which is similiar to the bonus DVD that comes with the special edition redbook release - and it is somewhat amusing - a nice extra feature to have.

#7 of 41 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted June 10 2003 - 10:35 AM

Quote:
Oh - Sound Quality - up there with the best DVD-Audio discs I have heard (and I have about 80+).

Super! I gotta have this one. I plan on having the whole Steely Dan collection in hirez some day. Posted Image

Quote:
The album was recorded to analog multitrack.

Michael, I'm fairly sure that several of the tracks were recorded live to 2 track analog. The lack of mixing down always results in a cleaner sound, although that is less of an issue with Fagen and Becker at the console than most other bands. Even with a mixing board, their recent albums (IGY and later) seem very clean. Posted Image
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#8 of 41 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted June 10 2003 - 10:36 AM

By the way, I have never heard Becker's solo album "11 tracks of whack"

Does anyone have a review on that? Fagen produced I believe. Posted Image

I need to complete my Dan collection.

#9 of 41 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted June 10 2003 - 11:01 AM

I bought the CD today, and the DVD-Audio disc came in the mail today too. Thus far, I've only listened to the CD, and my feelings are mixed. It's not a bad album, but none of the songs grab me. It's just sort of there. I really like Two Against Nature, and I feel that Everything Must Go is too steady by comparison. Two Against Nature is more varied in style and is more catchy. None of the songs on Everything Must Go get my "toes tapping" like "What A Shame About Me" on Two Against Nature. Overall, it's a solid effort, but not great. Perhaps it will grow on me.
My:
Main Stereo and HT Systems ;
Second Stereo System ;
Equipment List ; DVDs, SACDs, and more ;
Planned Upgrades and Additions "You know, the tomato never took off as a handfruit."- George Costanza

#10 of 41 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted June 10 2003 - 11:04 AM

I guess I'm having just the opposite reaction from you, Keith.

I love it. After only one listen, it has me humming the melodies and reading the lyrics. It is less ambitious then 2AN, but I think that's the point. On the bonus DVD, Becker calls it "a party record," and it feels like one.

The biggest criticism I've read about it is that it sounds like "more of the same ol' Dan." But, IMO, that's great, because no one else does what they do, so the more the better.

#11 of 41 OFFLINE   Jan H

Jan H

Screenwriter

• 2,010 posts

Posted June 10 2003 - 11:40 AM

Listening through it for the third time and I'm loving it more each time. Tracks like "Pixeleen", "Green Book", and "Godwhacker" will become great additions to the Dan canon. TO me, it sounds more retro than 2AN, which I felt had more in common with Kamakiriad (sonically) than older SD. Here, I'm hearing more "Gaucho" and "Green Earrings"-type Dan than on the previous album. Lyrically, of course, it's sardonic, sad and hilarious. In any case, I think it's brilliant and highly recommend it. Posted Image

#12 of 41 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted June 10 2003 - 12:03 PM

Mike said:

Quote:
It is less ambitious then 2AN, but I think that's the point.

I think "less ambitious" is an excellent way to describe Everything Must Go. Still, I'll be listening to the album quite a bit in the next few days, so perhaps my view will change.

Mike also said:

Quote:
The biggest criticism I've read about it is that it sounds like "more of the same ol' Dan." But, IMO, that's great, because no one else does what they do, so the more the better.

It certainly has the Steely Dan sound -- the unique, funky guitar sound, ethereal female harmony vocals, short, punchy verses. That's a good thing. Posted Image Posted Image
My:
Main Stereo and HT Systems ;
Second Stereo System ;
Equipment List ; DVDs, SACDs, and more ;
Planned Upgrades and Additions "You know, the tomato never took off as a handfruit."- George Costanza

#13 of 41 OFFLINE   charles white

charles white

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted June 10 2003 - 12:59 PM

I just got the DVD-A and enjoying it more than the previous effort. It's not "The Royal Scam" era Steely Dan but it's still Steely Dan and that's far better than what I hear on radio. To answer Lee's question, I have the Walter Becker solo album. I played it once and never played it again. I'll give it another spin later. I had this question in a previous , related thread and I'll ask it again-whatever became of producer Gary Katz?

#14 of 41 OFFLINE   Justin Lane

Justin Lane

Screenwriter

• 2,149 posts

Posted June 10 2003 - 02:02 PM

I have not really made up my mind on the content of the disc yet, more listening is required. I like the tone of most of the songs though, light and soulful.

The audio quality is top notch. The 192kHz/24bit is one of the best I have heard on DVD-A to date. The surround track is also very nice, involving but not to the point of distraction.

If you are a Steely Dan fan, this one is another no brainer.

J

#15 of 41 OFFLINE   Philip_T

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

• 876 posts

Posted June 10 2003 - 02:34 PM

Well, after stopping by 2 stores that were sold out of the DVD-A cut, I finally found one at a local Media Play. I've listened to it twice now and here some of my initial reactions,,,,,,,

1) As far as the audio quality on the DVD-A, I must say that it rivals some of the better sounding DVD-A titles that I have heard. As stated earlier, the surround mix is very nice and not overbearing. Very clean and crisp.

2) As far as the musical content, I was hooked right away. This may be in part due to the fact that I was jones'ing for some new DAN, but none the less, I find most of the songs fairly catchy and again, as mentioned earlier, would be a good party album.

3) The bonus video I found to be very interesting, especially since I have never had the fortune of seeing Fagen/Becker in an interview before, and the stage for this interview was definitely original (as far as live interviews with a band go,,, unless I've missed someone doing the same before that is)

A few personal observations on some of the songs,,,,

The album opens up with "The Last Mall" which I found to very catchy and toe tapping, and almost has a "Late Show with David Letterman" feel to it. One of my favorites on the album so far.

"The Things I Miss The Most" seems to me to be fashioned like a quirky sad song. Not sure what that means, but everyone will have their own interpretation of a song.

"Godwhacker",,Great tune! This sounds like it could have been on Fagen's solo album "The Nightfly"

The title track "Everything Must Go" is one of those tracks that make this a "music in the background for a friendly get together" song.

I'm sure everyone will form their own opinion as to what the album offers to them, these are just some of my ramblings.

All in all, I give it two out of three thumbs up.

Back to the listening room for me.

Regards,
Phil

Posted Image Posted Image out of Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#16 of 41 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted June 10 2003 - 05:24 PM

The bonus DVD is great. The first girl who rode with them is hilarious.

"It's, like, I get it, but when I analyze the lyrics, I know it's about something..."

#17 of 41 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 12:20 AM

I picked up the DVD-A last night and am listening to an analog MD copy of the 192/24 track right now. Sounds great. "Two Against Nature" volume II for sure. I approve, good stuff. I long for more adventurous drumming on a Dan album. The drumming is solid but boring. Bring back Steve Gadd. Posted Image

Too many new albums for me to handle lateley.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#18 of 41 OFFLINE   Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter

• 1,761 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 02:09 AM

Who let Walter Becker sing? Posted Image

#19 of 41 OFFLINE   Steve Meskell

Steve Meskell

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 03:13 AM

Very interesting to audition this album in 5:1...the dts is very good. I love the way the drums sound on this recording, much better than 2vN. Can't wait to get my hands on the new universal players coming soon...I'm sure this album will sound even better(duh)Posted Image

#20 of 41 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 03:44 AM

Quote:
The 192kHz/24bit is one of the best I have heard on DVD-A to date.

Glad to hear that.

Has anyone ever listened to Becker's solo album?

Back to Music & Soundtracks

Forum Nav Content I Follow