Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Home Theater Set-Up HELP!!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   MattGentry

MattGentry

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted June 06 2003 - 01:19 PM

Ok, now here we go. I've gots me a tiny problem with my home theater set-up. I've got myself a 27" Philips Magnavox TV. However, it only has one spot for a hookup: the RF line in (for cable). No A/V inputs, no S-Video, nothing. So, hence my problem. I am running a Sony surround sound system and it is roughly a $400 system. Due to my lack of hookups in the back of the TV, I had to jury rig my set-up. I run my cable line into my VCR. From that, I run an RF cable into the back of my TV. Now, I run my DVD A/V cables into the back of the surround sound system, into the spots specified for DVD. Then, I run A/V cables from the A/V out ports in the Video 1 area in the back of the system, and into the A/V in ports from the back of the VCR. This enables to me to use turn on my VCR to channel L1 (the A/V Rear channel) and then turn on my surround sound system to DVD, allowing me to watch DVD's. Then.....

Anyways, here-in lies my problem. When I turn on my DVD player, everything is fine. Then, I hit play on the DVD player and it all darkens...no a whole lot, but enough to be noticeable. Anyone have ANYYYY clue what I can do to remedy this problem, short of buying a new TV? I do want to buy a new TV, one with at least 2 A/V inputs, at least 1 A/V output, S-video, and hookups for all the extra little cables from the DVD player. But, until that amazing day when I suddenly am able to save up enough casholla for the new TV....I am stuck with what I have. I am running an RCA DVD player (purchased at around $250 when DVD players were first being introduced).

Please, I need your help. Thank you.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Steve Sm.

Steve Sm.

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted June 06 2003 - 02:31 PM

One thing to try might be getting a standalone RF adapter; the ones in VCRs often give a very poor signal that varies wildly in brightness. I would just go pick one up from someplace that will let you return it, and try it out to see if there is a difference.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   JamesHl

JamesHl

Supporting Actor

• 813 posts

Posted June 06 2003 - 04:28 PM

That is macrovision. You can't run most dvd players through most vcrs without that happening. You have to hook up the dvd straight through the stereo. Frankly, I would get a better tv, I can't imagine running everything through coax from the vcr to the tv looks that good.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor

• 723 posts

Posted June 06 2003 - 06:21 PM

i agree. save up for a new tv. there are many nice ones to choose from. the 27" flat screen models from sony and samsing would be my choice, because of the 16:9 squeeze mode.

Lose your tv as soon as you can.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted June 07 2003 - 02:38 AM

And, Matt, FYI: Macrovision is the copy-protection encoded into just about every DVD released. As you've been advised, get a new display; NTSC-only 27-inch direct-view sets with component-video, S-video, and A/V composite connections are about as cheap as they are ever going to get in these waning days of analog-only television. Not worth the effort, IMO, to spring for an RF demodulator. JB

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor

• 723 posts

Posted June 07 2003 - 06:41 AM

well i suppose you could get the rf demodulator as a stop gap measure if you can't afford the tv right away. But they aren't very expensive. Youy could probably get a samsing model for 400.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   DonaldLF

DonaldLF

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted June 10 2003 - 08:17 AM

Macrovision copy guard cause the darken pictures. You need to hook up dvd to TV via RF demodulator (about $40.00 at radio shack or any electronic stores). Better yet invest in a better TV. Good luck.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   SteveKNJ

SteveKNJ

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 06:04 AM

I got an RF modulator from Walmart for about $25 for an old RCA TV that my daughter uses to watch tapes and DVDs. The picture is not half bad (considering the TV) and it's a good stopgap measure. You will be pretty satisfied.