What's new

Home Theater Set-Up HELP!!!! (1 Viewer)

MattGentry

Second Unit
Ok, now here we go. I've gots me a tiny problem with my home theater set-up. I've got myself a 27" Philips Magnavox TV. However, it only has one spot for a hookup: the RF line in (for cable). No A/V inputs, no S-Video, nothing. So, hence my problem. I am running a Sony surround sound system and it is roughly a $400 system. Due to my lack of hookups in the back of the TV, I had to jury rig my set-up. I run my cable line into my VCR. From that, I run an RF cable into the back of my TV. Now, I run my DVD A/V cables into the back of the surround sound system, into the spots specified for DVD. Then, I run A/V cables from the A/V out ports in the Video 1 area in the back of the system, and into the A/V in ports from the back of the VCR. This enables to me to use turn on my VCR to channel L1 (the A/V Rear channel) and then turn on my surround sound system to DVD, allowing me to watch DVD's. Then.....

Anyways, here-in lies my problem. When I turn on my DVD player, everything is fine. Then, I hit play on the DVD player and it all darkens...no a whole lot, but enough to be noticeable. Anyone have ANYYYY clue what I can do to remedy this problem, short of buying a new TV? I do want to buy a new TV, one with at least 2 A/V inputs, at least 1 A/V output, S-video, and hookups for all the extra little cables from the DVD player. But, until that amazing day when I suddenly am able to save up enough casholla for the new TV....I am stuck with what I have. I am running an RCA DVD player (purchased at around $250 when DVD players were first being introduced).

Please, I need your help. Thank you.

Steve Sm.

Auditioning
One thing to try might be getting a standalone RF adapter; the ones in VCRs often give a very poor signal that varies wildly in brightness. I would just go pick one up from someplace that will let you return it, and try it out to see if there is a difference.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
That is macrovision. You can't run most dvd players through most vcrs without that happening. You have to hook up the dvd straight through the stereo. Frankly, I would get a better tv, I can't imagine running everything through coax from the vcr to the tv looks that good.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
i agree. save up for a new tv. there are many nice ones to choose from. the 27" flat screen models from sony and samsing would be my choice, because of the 16:9 squeeze mode.

Lose your tv as soon as you can.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And, Matt, FYI: Macrovision is the copy-protection encoded into just about every DVD released. As you've been advised, get a new display; NTSC-only 27-inch direct-view sets with component-video, S-video, and A/V composite connections are about as cheap as they are ever going to get in these waning days of analog-only television. Not worth the effort, IMO, to spring for an RF demodulator. JB

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
well i suppose you could get the rf demodulator as a stop gap measure if you can't afford the tv right away. But they aren't very expensive. Youy could probably get a samsing model for 400.

DonaldLF

Auditioning
Macrovision copy guard cause the darken pictures. You need to hook up dvd to TV via RF demodulator (about $40.00 at radio shack or any electronic stores). Better yet invest in a better TV. Good luck.

SteveKNJ

Stunt Coordinator
I got an RF modulator from Walmart for about $25 for an old RCA TV that my daughter uses to watch tapes and DVDs. The picture is not half bad (considering the TV) and it's a good stopgap measure. You will be pretty satisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks