What's new

Sony Red Push? (1 Viewer)

AndyTod

Grip
I recently purchase a new Sony KV-36HS510 and I have read in a couple of places on this site about Sony's and red pushing. I have yet to find out what exactly this is and how I may go about fixing this problem. Any information on this topic would be great.

Also my wife purchased a calibration disk for me at best buy. It claims to be one that was recommended by Sound and Vision with some added BB features. Will this disk work for video Calibration?

Thanks again...Being a newbie is a lot of work.

AndyTod

Grip
Sorry for the red push question. Seems I was searching in the wrong place for information. I could still use some ideas about the calibration disk I have.

Thanks

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Will work for basic calibration of user controls. Assumes you follow the instructions although some get nebulous too.

Regards

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
As long as Sony didn't make any serious changed in the service menu between this years and last years models. My posts in this thread at Agoraquest may be of some use to you.

http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic....=5127&forum=25

Keep in mind the settings won't be exactly the same due to many different variables but should get you close and give you a good start and idea as to how things should be.

Also has info on red push and how to fix it.

Eric_C_N

Auditioning
Andy - How did the calibration go? I have my TV being delivered on Friday and I want to know what I have ahead of me.

AndyTod

Grip
Eric,
To tell you the truth I have not calibrated the TV as of yet. I was going to wait until I have watched it for about 100 hours. This seems to be the break in point for TV. I plan on this happening in the next week or so. As soon as I do I will let you know how it went.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Andy, if you're doing the "basic calibration of user controls" and not a full-blown ISF calibration at this point, I'd recommend that you do a quick run through if only to set contrast/brightness to reasonable levels. Then you can do a more thorough job after the initial break-in period.

Eric_C_N

Auditioning
Andy - I did a very basic calibration (if you can call it that) with the THX optimizer on my HS510 and I noticed that during the geometric calibration the screen seemed to be shifted to the right. Did you see this? Any idea how to adjust?

AndyTod

Grip
Eric,
Sorry for the late response but I have had major computer problems as of late. Anyway the calibration disk that I have does not have a geometry calibration. Can I ask what disk you use or how you performed the geometry calibration of your TV. As for the overall calibration I have only worked on the contrast and brightness. As I break-in the TV I will work on the color and stuff.

Andy

Eric_C_N

Auditioning
I used the THX optimizer that was included with Star Wars EpII. There was a geometry section that showed different sized rectangles and circles for the different aspect ratios to ensure that the picture was centered and square.

My picture was nice and squared, but it was shifted to the left and down a bit. Enough that the left edge of the rectangle was up against the edge of the screen, instead of being centered. I don't notice anything while viewing movies in either aspect ratio, but it is something that I noticed.

SeanA

Second Unit
I just calibrated my Sony 34" XBR800 with AVIA. When I got to the end and did the final check on Red, Green, and Blue, it appeared I was favoring Red by about 10%. I think AVIA actually recommended not trying to do any further calibration if the Red push was under 15%, at least for a basic calibration. So I left it "as is", since trying to adjust out the red push at my skill level would possibly mess up other aspects of my calibration.

I would be curious to know the level of Red Push from other Sony owners after doing their own calbration ???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks