Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

If you could only enjoy one aspect of DVD...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Jonny K

Jonny K

Second Unit

• 375 posts

Posted June 03 2003 - 04:57 PM

I got to thinking, what if you could only enjoy one aspect of DVD? Aspects being:

- Widescreen
- Digital Sound
- High quality picture
- Bonus materials

Yes, I know widescreen isn't unique to DVD (nothing is), but for the most part I see it as a major aspect of it. (I never watched widescreen before DVD).

So what would be the one thing you would want to keep? It's a tough choice, but I'd say digital sound. I just love sound, and with a decent home theater, DVD sounds just too awesome. (especially the bass!).

And you?

Jonny K. Posted Image

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted June 03 2003 - 05:13 PM

Widescreen is my top priority with picture quality a close second. I'm not too picky with sound - most of the movies I enjoy aren't your loud blockbuster type flicks anyway. As for bonus materials, they're nice but not a must.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted June 03 2003 - 06:15 PM

Digital sound is the ONLY sound on DVD. It can't have analog sound...

High quality and widescreen (or rather the right AR) are one in the same. You can't have high-quality pan & scan.

So, that means high-quality/OAR or bonus materials. I'll go with the former.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Dennis

Dennis

Second Unit

• 260 posts

Posted June 04 2003 - 12:51 AM

High Quality Picture.

Everything else is a plus.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Simon_Lepine

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted June 04 2003 - 01:15 AM

Maybe you can't have high quality pan & scan, but you can certainly get a widescreen version with a transfer of poor quality. I would say OAR is the most important thing, but picture quality is very close second...I would never buy a non OAR movie but I will buy an occasional so so transfer.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted June 04 2003 - 02:28 AM

I would think that "High Quality" would mean 2 things:
1.) Clean transfer from the original medium.
2.) High data rate.

So I would have to say there is such a thing as "High Quality Pan & Scan"

Me, with having a 16x9 tv , I would go with Widescreen (i.e. OAR/Anamorphic Video). I can deal with video noise MUCH more than I can deal with cropping off the sides of a movie. Especially if it's a 2.35:1 movie...there is just NO way they can make these things look anywhere near acceptable for 4x3 presentations.

Besides, on a 4x3 tv, I guess I can almost deal with P&S versions of 1.85:1 movies, but when I have to windowbox a movie on a 16x9 tv, it's TORTURE because I look at the grey bars on each side, knowing that there should be picture there!!! Posted Image

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Rand

Rand

Supporting Actor

• 626 posts

Posted June 04 2003 - 02:32 AM

A more accurate question for myself would be which aspect of dvd is the largest improvement over ld (not counting price). I would say for myself that it's anamorphic enhancement. That more than anything else (other that how much I like the film) is the chief determining factor for if I should replace an ld with a dvd.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Steeve Bergeron

Steeve Bergeron

Screenwriter

• 2,541 posts

Posted June 04 2003 - 11:35 AM

Widescreen