What's new

Directors If you could only enjoy one aspect of DVD... (1 Viewer)

Jonny K

Second Unit
I got to thinking, what if you could only enjoy one aspect of DVD? Aspects being:

- Widescreen
- Digital Sound
- High quality picture
- Bonus materials

Yes, I know widescreen isn't unique to DVD (nothing is), but for the most part I see it as a major aspect of it. (I never watched widescreen before DVD).

So what would be the one thing you would want to keep? It's a tough choice, but I'd say digital sound. I just love sound, and with a decent home theater, DVD sounds just too awesome. (especially the bass!).

And you?

Jonny K. :)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Widescreen is my top priority with picture quality a close second. I'm not too picky with sound - most of the movies I enjoy aren't your loud blockbuster type flicks anyway. As for bonus materials, they're nice but not a must.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Digital sound is the ONLY sound on DVD. It can't have analog sound...

High quality and widescreen (or rather the right AR) are one in the same. You can't have high-quality pan & scan.

So, that means high-quality/OAR or bonus materials. I'll go with the former.

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor
Maybe you can't have high quality pan & scan, but you can certainly get a widescreen version with a transfer of poor quality. I would say OAR is the most important thing, but picture quality is very close second...I would never buy a non OAR movie but I will buy an occasional so so transfer.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I would think that "High Quality" would mean 2 things:
1.) Clean transfer from the original medium.
2.) High data rate.

So I would have to say there is such a thing as "High Quality Pan & Scan"

Me, with having a 16x9 tv , I would go with Widescreen (i.e. OAR/Anamorphic Video). I can deal with video noise MUCH more than I can deal with cropping off the sides of a movie. Especially if it's a 2.35:1 movie...there is just NO way they can make these things look anywhere near acceptable for 4x3 presentations.

Besides, on a 4x3 tv, I guess I can almost deal with P&S versions of 1.85:1 movies, but when I have to windowbox a movie on a 16x9 tv, it's TORTURE because I look at the grey bars on each side, knowing that there should be picture there!!! :angry:

Rand

Supporting Actor
A more accurate question for myself would be which aspect of dvd is the largest improvement over ld (not counting price). I would say for myself that it's anamorphic enhancement. That more than anything else (other that how much I like the film) is the chief determining factor for if I should replace an ld with a dvd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks