What's new

hooking up XBox to PC monitor (1 Viewer)

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I might be forced to hook up my XBox to my PC monitor instead of my television for various reasons which I won't get into. I have a Sony CRT with the "standard PC input" and would like to know if I can purchase some type of adaptor to connect my XBox (via either S-video or composite) to the pc input on my monitor. I've already checked out CompUSA and the people were of absolutely no help. I realize that I may need to purchase a new TV or monitor, however, I want to check out the possibility of using an adaptor first.

Thanks!!!

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
Thanks for that link, Jeff. I was actually looking into picking up a VGA Box from http://xboxvga.com/ but don't want to wait 4 weeks to receive it. I'm willing to pay a little more to receive it quicker. Thanks once again.

Ray Warner

Stunt Coordinator
I'd go with an upscan unit if I were you. VGA boxes typically don't work as well as you might think, unless you're dealing with the Dreamcast.

Of course, it depends on how much you're looking to spend. The widely-accepted solution to playing consoles on a monitor and improve the graphics as opposed to degrading them is to use an XRGB2+ Upscan Converter.

It's a piece of work, though. It's also pricey. Still, it'll work for everything (not just Xbox) and it's been used by me, personally, for damn near every console I own, from the Neo on down.

They can be obtained from www.ncsx.com who usually ship in about 3 days.

JayF

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a review of the X-Blaster that I found online a few days again. It's very positive.

http://www.envynews.com/review.php?ID=411&page=2

Based on this I ordered one from Key Digital (it's only $99 and not $199 as listed in the review). It arrived at my office today and hope to have a chance to try it out tonight.

Ray Warner

Stunt Coordinator
Wow. I'd be really curious to see how it looks in action. Any chance you can keep me posted?

Last time I tried something that wasn't an actual upscan unit, it was pretty unpleasant. Text was scanned incorrectly and colors were washed out and not nearly as bright as a straight RGB signal.

But, it sounds like this thing manages to duck that problem. If it works as advertised, I think I might pick one up...

Frank_Ber

Agent
I use Ken's VGA adapter (transcoder) which can be found here. Try and email Ken and ask questions. You might have to wait one to two months thought in order to receive your order. PQ is like the dreamcast vgabox.

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
Frank, that is the same box I linked to in my mesage, however, I don't know if I want to wait a month or 2 to receive it. I loved using my DC on my monitor. I wonder if it is worth it to wait a month or 2, or order the one Jeff posted about.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
You could also use a transcoder, it would probably provide the best output with an xbox. It could convert the component out (480p-1080i) to RGB right into your monitor!

You can get one at www.keydigital.com Although they aren't too cheap $299 I believe, I use one to connect my dvd-player and xbox to my CRT projector.

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
The Xblaster is a transcoder. It's also selling for $89 now.

http://www.hometheaterworld.com/home...askdcomto.html

Key Features: - Enables display of video game consoles capable of progressive 480p or higher component output on VGA monitors and projectors. - Automatic formats –480p, 720p, 1080i/540p. - Connects your computer to your VGA monitor or projector when the Game Console is turned off. Automatically switches your VGA monitor or projector to your game console when you game console is turned on. - Enables display of XBOX games at 480p, 720p, 1080i/540p or Game Cube (only some Game Cube games are capable of 480p) on standard VGA monitors and projectors. - Compatible with XBOX game machine component AV pack adapter or component outputs of Game Cube for 480p capable games.

Key Benefits: - Compatible with XBOX set for 480p, 720p or 1080i and with Game Cube using games capable of 480p. - Automatic switching between PC and Game console triggered by component signal presence on the component inputs. - Crystal clear display. - World smallest adapter on the market. - Easy setup PC to VGA monitor connection. - Drives cable up to 50 feet. - Cost effective. - 2 years parts and labor warranty. Warranty returns to manufacturer only.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Hooked up my XBlaster last night. Works perfectly on my 30" 16:9 monitor, better blacks than the component input. The only quirk was that the image was shifted so far to the left I had to use all of the range in my HPos control to get it centered.
Hoped it also would work with my 480p DVD player, but didn't have any luck. :frowning:

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
UPS dropped off my Xblaster about an hour ago and I've been playing Xbox/GC ever since. It makes a huge difference. If you don't have a TV capable of doing 480p/720p(like me), I highly recommend getting an Xblaster. The games look excellent on my 21" monitor.

Jon Duke

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking at purchasing a new monitor using one of the adapters/switches described here and I wonder what specs I should be looking for in a new monitor so that I can continue to utilize 1080i on my Xbox and eventually, my Xbox 360?

ShelbyB

Stunt Coordinator
What type of monitor are you looking for? You need to make sure its resolution can go up to 1080, thats for sure. Other than that, I don't know what you would look for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks