What's new

folks with paradigm speakers: what's your HT setup? (1 Viewer)

chun howe

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all:

i have been in this forum for almost 2 months now, this is an amazing place to hang around for serious HT discussion :emoji_thumbsup: and i realize a lot of folks own paradigm speakers.

question is:
what sub do you folks match with your paradigm speakers?
what amp & pre/pro or reciever is used?

you might want to state briefly why you choose your equipment/setup?

Chun

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Welcome to the forum!

I'll take a stab at this..

i run Paradigm studio-40's in the front with a studio-cc.. for sides and surrounds I run (4) studio-20's. I use a Lexicon Dc-1 for my preamp and a Cinepro 2k5II (200w/channel) to power them.. For subs, i run a DIY Tumult subwoofer with 800w and a Blueprint 1803 with 800w..

I chose the 40's because I knew I would be running a solid subwoofer system and I didn't need floorstanders. I also listen to mostly movies, not music.. As for the amp/pre-amp, I chose Cinepro/Lexicon cus Cinepro make some of the best amps in the business as does Lexicon for preamps.

hope this helps.

Craig

ps. I am VERY happy with the sound of my system and would buy the exact same if I had to do it all over again.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I USED to own Paradigm speakers, all around. Studio 40's in the front, Studio 20's in the back, Studio CC in the middle.

The sub I matched to the Paradigm's was the ACI Titan II. It was such a great sub, I sold the Paradigms and bought all ACI speakers all around...Sapphires in front, Emeralds in the back and a soon to be added Essence in the center.

Associated equipment:
Anthem AVM-20
Odyssey Audio Dual Mono Stratos
Rotel RB-1050
Sony SCD-555ES

Why did I choose the stuff? Anthem was the best processor with the best sound in my opinion in my price range. Odyssey had a great reputation and I loved the asthetics of the look. Rotel is used for surround duty and will be moved to power the 7.1 speakers in the future. The Sony I got because I wanted to get into SACD.

Love Paradigm speakers....great value, I just found something I like a little more!:D

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I have Mini Monitors and a CC-370 up front, and Titans for the rear. I have the PS-1000 sub. They are powered by a Denon 3803. I also have a pair of Studio 20s in my music room on Zone 2 of the Denon.

Why did I chose what I have. Well first, budget. The Monitors was all that I could fit in the budget for the HT. I had to get them all at once because I was upgrading (not a strong enough word) from a Bose Acoustimass system. (don't laugh, I know). Next came the Denon. I bought the Denon for several reasons. I need all 7 video inputs it has. I also knew I wanted multi room. The video upconversion is very handy since I have all types of connections. Also the pre-amp section is very strong. The 20s are my most recent addition, and I made sure my budget allowed for a good music speaker. The 20s are excellent, and I have options to intergrate them into the HT (as rears maybe) when I upgrade it.

KrishnaP

Grip
MiniMonitors, CC-300, ADP150(surrounds), PS-1200 sub, and Onkyo SV828THX DD/DTS ready receiver hooked up to Technics External DD/DTS decoder.

Been enjoying it for over 6 years now but seriously thinking about upgrading as I soon will be moving to a house with 2-storey family room. From what I read, I need full-range speakers for room of that size so, will soon be parting with my equipment.

I may soon be owning KEF XQ5s or Vienna Acousitics Beethoven's unless something better is found.

chun howe

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the input, it surely helps alot.

although SVS is the popular sub around here, but so far no paradigm speaker owners own this combination.

i have listen to ref 80 and the bass part is very nice, is this the rason paradigm speakers don't need powerful sub to compensate the LFE?

Dean Mar

Stunt Coordinator
Studio 100's, CC and ADP's. B&K AVR 305 receiver, 150 watts per channel (a great receiver by the way), DIY Tumult sealed sub with 720 watts.

I originally chose this to get into home theater, but I find that I use it more for music than HT. This setup works incredible for HT, but I find myself wanting something a little different for music. On well recorded music, it sounds absolutely wonderful. Stuff that isn't recorded well is a bit too bright and revealing at times.

In a year or two, I see myself going to a 2 channel setup for music and keeping this setup for HT. Perhaps tubes are in my future for a music setup, will just keep reading and researching for awhile. :)

Chun,
I ran my Studio 100's for some time without a sub. After adding a very good sub, the effect on Movies was incredible. Don't skimp on the sub just because you go with floorstanders.

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
I formerly owned Monitor 9s, ADP370s and CC370. After less than a year I upgraded to 40s, 20s, and the Studio CC. I am a huge fan of the studio lines, particularly for the price and that's why I did the upgrade (always knew what I was missing with the monitor series).

I rest of my system includes the Onkyo 797 receiver, SVS 2039PCi Subwoofer, Pioneer 656A DVDA Player, and Outlaw ICBM. I was very impressed with my SVS which I bought after running the 9s alone. Needless to say, the SVS is a great performer. When I made the switch to the studio series that's why I chose to go with the 40s up front. With such a competant sub I didn't feel the need for full range speakers. I set the ICBM crossover at 60Hz for the 40s and they integrate wonderfully. I would highly recommend the SVS and Studio40 pairing... it's worked well for me.

Now I'd like to make the move into separates, as I'm sure the amp within the Onkyo is the weak point of my system right now. From what all I've read, the studio line can greatly improve with better amplification.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
I'm gonna represent for the lower end Paradigm setups out there.;)

I have Paradigm Titan mains, Atoms surrounds and a CC-170 Center channel. The subwoofer is an Adire Audio Tempest DIY sub in a 194L enclosure.

I have it powered by a Pioneer VSX-D510 which I mostly bought because it was cheap but didn't look cheap. It's not bad but it will probably be my next upgrade.

Thomas F

Stunt Coordinator
I have four Studio 40's for front and rear, a Studio/CC, and an SVS Ultra/S1000. I also have a PW-2200 that sits idle in the bedroom. This is all powered by a Denon AVR-3802. I'm very happy with this combination. When I eventually upgrade, this system is going in the bedroom, except for the Ultra, which is staying for my primary system.

KyleS

Screenwriter
What Thomas, if you dont mind, are you planning to upgrade to from the 40's, CC, ADP's?

KyleS

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
I recently upgraded from Monitor 9s to Studio 40s...for now I have the Sony SA-WM40 as a sub, but the DIY Tempest sonosub should be done by next weekend. It's all being powered by a H/K 320, and hopefully I'll have at least a 2 channel amp by summers end. I chose Paradigm because of the bang for the buck, and since I live so close to Canada. As for the H/K, after reading up on receivers last summer, it just seemed like it was better suited to my needs than say, Denon. (More of a music listener, I always have something on...I watch maybe 3 movies a week)

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I have Studio-100(2) Studio-CC Studio-40(2) and Studio-20(2). I have a Servo-15, because I live in Canada, and paid around 800$ US for it!

Anthem AVM-20, Rotel RMB-1095 Bryston 4BSST, Denon DVD-3800.

Anthem, because I think you have to pay 2 or 3 times the price to get a better pre-amp. Rotel makes fair price amp. Bryston in canada is a real bargain!

In Canada, we have really sweet prices on Anthem, Bryston and Paradigms stuff...:D :D :D

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Monitor 7's (front), Monitor3's (rear), CC-350 (center), PW-2200 (sub).

Just upgraded from a receiver to the Outlaw Model 950 pre/pro along with my Carver AV-705x 5 channel amp!!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Mini-monitors and SVS PCi 20-39 on a Marantz 5300 and NAD 521i cd player. Theater's not done yet so no center/surrounds yet. I will be upgrading the fronts (not because of lack of satisfaction w/ the mini-monitors), but I'm not sure to what yet. I auditioned the mini-monitors against B&W 601s, and i found the 601s fatiguing. I picked both the marantz and the NAD based on reviews and features, and I've been very impressed with both. The main irritation i have is the room i'm in, which is temporary until i finish the theater room, because it's hardwood floors, plastery painted walls and ceiling, and lots of glass bookcases and windows, which make it very echoey and hot in the highs. The SVS is not really in it's element, or taken full advantage off with just music, but I have run some movies through it and it is killer. If you blend it in conservatively with your mains, it's really a killer setup. It's easy at first to set the sub hot, and it gets fatiguing very quickly. Try not to do that. I also have a pair of titans, and I cannot rave about them enough. I've talked friends into paradigm with great success. As for receivers, there are many, like Denon, HK, marantz, outlaw, sony ES, pioneer Elite, that I'm sure will all give you solid performance.

Chun, as for bass, no you really do need a subwoofer. While Paradigm's speakers are very capable in the bass department they definitely need a sub for movies. I would be happy with most all of them on their own, even the smaller bookshelf speakers such as titans or mini-monitors for music, but they just can't crank out the bass, even the large towers, that is necessary for that really low and loud bass in movies. I wholeheartedly recommend the Servo-15, and SVS. I can't afford the servo, and if i could i probably still would have taken a gamble with an SVS instead. My no-audition risk paid off with the SVS, it is a killer sub. The value is better with SVS.

Ron_L

Second Unit
I'm running Studio 60's, Studio CC, Studio ADP and a Servo 15, powered by a Yamaha Rxv800.

Bob Friend

Stunt Coordinator
I just got my Studio 20's and Studio Center today. I'm using Jbl N24s for surrounds, but hope to upgrade those to Stuido ADPs later this year. My sub is an SVS 25-31pci. All hooked up to an H/K AVR 520.

Andy Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Studio 100s,Studio CC,Studio ADPs, Studio 20s,2 Servo-15s and a SVS Ultra powered by a Bryston 6BSST and Rotel RMB-1095. Processor is a Lexicon MC-12B.

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
Ok, I'll bite: I'm running newly acquired Studio 60s and Studio CC (with Mini Monitors still in the rear for now). I upgraded from Monitor 7s/CC350. My sub is an SVS 16-46PCi. They are driven by a Marantz SR8200 receiver. I also have a pair of Atoms connected to my computer and powered by a Nakamichi AV-400. I still think that Atoms are perhaps the best value in the whole lineup and do a great job as surrounds, computer speakers, or just about any use of a budget speaker.

Chris

Todd Alexander

Stunt Coordinator
I have a set of older Paradigm 11se for main with timbre matched Paradigm center. I recently purchased 2 pairs of Paradigm ADP 170s for the rear and surround speakers. I have a Velodyne 1012 sub. I just bought an Onkyo TX-NR900 as my receiver, replacing an older Onkyo unit.

I can't tell you how they sound yet, because I'm moving and these recent buys were a gift to myself. Once I am moved, I'll let ya all know. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.