What's new

Infocus X1 (2 Viewers)

steve_mr

Grip
I am new to HT. The Infocus folks advised that the X1 is a native 4:3. I'd like to get a 92" diag. screen 16:9

Will there be a problem with this when playing DVD's?
HDTV?

Appreciate the feedback from all you seasoned vets out there.

Also, can someone please explain the difference between 480i and 480p and how it relates to DVD players, X-boxes, etc.

Muchas gracias!

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
The X-1 is native 4:3 which means that no matter what format you watch your widescreen DVD in, there will always be some black bars projected on top and bottom of the image.
Just like a 4:3 direct view TV.

If you plan on only watching HDTV and wide DVDs you might look for a native 16:9 pj.

Many users of the X-1 have built 4:3 screens once they find out how the pj handles cable or satellite feeds. My digital cable looks simply awesome on my X-1, nearly as good as DVD.
Since there isn't much offered out in the heartland for HDTV yet my TV is strictly 4:3.

I watch on a 92 X 59 4:3 screen. When I view widescreen DVDs, there is around a foot of darkened space above and below. This isn't a problem for me, but some have used different methods of masking this area to help with contrast.

480i is the interlaced mode of resolution used in TVs for years, while 480p (p for progressive scan)
uses a line doubling chip to improve the picture.

The X-1 handles either mode well, using different inputs for each.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Dennis:

Do you have Time Warner Cable? I was thinking over converting my standard cable to Digital but haven't decided yet. Does the Digital box have progressive outputs off of it or do you have to use S Video or composite?

My regular cable feed looks like crap through my X1 and I know it is due to the fact that I have such a bad signal. I look forward to seeing Digital cable on my setup at some point.

BTW, what are you using for a screen?

Parker

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Parker,

I have Adelphia digital out here in western Kansas. I wasn't crazy about the analog feed, but the digital channels are near DVD quality. The box is a Motorola with
only composite outs so I use them into my JVC SVHS 4800U
for get an s-video signal. I claims Dolby Digital on the front but only has composite audio as well. They must use the same fronts for all their line.

I was just sure that the quality wouldn't be good enough but am astounded.

I will be purchasing the Motorola version that has spdif for the digital audio and s-video to improve it even further.

I will try to get some screen shots of familiar movies to illustrate.

Welcome to X-1 ownership, I got mine in March and have 399 hours as of this morning. I can't imagine a better buy coming along soon!

Enjoy the new toy,

Dennis

Rich.Swolf

Auditioning
Can anyone help me understand the difference in picture quality between analog and digital cable tv. I think analog or standard definition tv is considered 480i, right? Is there a number that could be attached to digital cable? Is it still 480i or is it 480p or is it some other number? I know that digital cable offers the advantage of increased bandwidth which leads to many more channels being available and enhanced audio quality. This increased bandwidth is also needed to transmit a high definintion signal of 720p or 1080i, but that is packaged as a separate service on top of basic digital cable. Any thoughts?

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
My cable rep described the difference to me as the fact that since the signal is sent in a 1s and 0s digital format
the conversion of the signal was exactly as it was intended with no degrading of the original format. No noise was added by atmosphere. He also eluded that the frequencies were higher and better suited for the extra info contained in the signal than the lower analog channels. I don't think that the signal is any different than that of my 480i analog as far as resoultion, I just see much less noise and
crisper images with less shadowing.

It seems to be a better way of delivering the same info to me.

Rich.Swolf

Auditioning
Thanks Dennis for answering my question. I tried to search the internet for more info, didn't find much, but what I did find seemed to be right in line with your explanation. Digital cable is still 480i, but it delivers a "cleaner" signal than analog delivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks