What's new

Infocus X1 just searches, won't select a source. (1 Viewer)

nottageek

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
I've got an Infocus X1 which I just hooked up after four years of not using it. I can't get it to select a video source. I went online and upgraded the firmware to 4.3 and still no luck. I'm using Dish network and a DVD as well as even trying a VCR, but all it does is search...I've tried S-Video and the composite Video sources. I bought a 25 ft HDMI cable and an HDMI to VGA adapter...still nothing! I don't get it. I thought maybe it had something to do with not having ever connected it to the Dish Network in HD when I used to use it...thought maybe I needed some HDMI cables or something, but Nooo! Especially since it used to work fine with my DVD and VHS, but now it doesn't even select those signals. I'm stumped!:confused: Anybody know what I'm missing here? Thanks a bunch for any help!:D

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Whooo!
I use to own one of these, but it was over a decade ago!
As I recall, the X1 was a "half presentation /half home theater" projector. It switched-out a white segment on the color wheel for better color saturation / contrast ratio when placed into its "Home theater mode".
Here's a snippet of a published review on the X1 which may be pertinent to your problem (this review was published back in 2002!!) :

The connector panel features a single VGA port through which you may feed either computer SVGA or XGA signals, as well as HDTV 1080i, 720p, and component 480p. There is a special seven-pin S-video port that is a bit different than you find on most projectors. You can use it as a regular S-video input, but it can also be used as a component video (480i) input as well by using a special cable adaptor that comes with the unit. It is not particularly clear in the manual, but the S-video/component port does not recognize component 480p, and conversely, the VGA port does not recognize component 480i. So you need to make sure to feed these signals into the appropriate ports.

Link to full review:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/infocus_x1.htm
I don't know what kind of a budget you're currently on, but you can pick up an Optoma HD-66 16:9 720p native resolution projector for less than $600 these days, and it's about 1000 times better than that X1 since it's fully optimized for Home Theater.

nottageek

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Joseph, Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, I am still stumped. HDMI and all the newer technology aside, I don't understand why my Infocus X1 won't pick up a plain old S-video signal from my DVD player. It should at least be able to do that as it did when I last used it shouldn't it? I've checked the cable and it's fine. It seems there's got to be something simple wrong with some aspect , somewhere?
And...thanks for the tip on the Optoma projector...maybe when my ship comes in I'll give that idea a try!

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
nottageek said:
Unfortunately, I am still stumped. HDMI and all the newer technology aside, I don't understand why my Infocus X1 won't pick up a plain old S-video signal from my DVD player.
Mark,
So you're running straight s-video from your DVD player to s-video on the projector, right? You're not trying to use the s-video component adapter cable, right?
If so, then ensure that the computer/video source button (available either on the remote or on the top of the unit) is set to video. Due to the fact that the X1 is a presentation projector first and a home theater projector second, it won't even look at the s-video source input if its set to scan for a computer source only.
If you are using the component adapter for the s-video, then you need to be aware of the fact that if your DVD player is set to progressive scan 480p, then you will get nothing since 480i is as far as you can go with the s-video input -- even with the adapter.
Here's a link to the on-line manual for the Infocus X1 in PDF form:
http://web.mit.edu/mitacf/www/help/infocus_x1-ug.pdf

nottageek

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Thank you! You are a life saver! I was going nuts! The DVD was set on progressive! Works perfect now.
I knew it had to be something simple!:D That solves the DVD problem.
Now...do you have any idea what the cause is of my problem with the X1 playing from the DishNet HDMI source?
To recap...I bought an HDMI cable and a short HMDI/VGA adapter, then connected them to the VGA cable (which was supplied with the X1). When I connect the DishNet box to the X1 all it does is search. I've included a photo (below) of the connection with the cables described. Do I need some other type of box gizmo/adapter to convert the HDMI signal to VGA? When I attempt to use this source I set the source on the X1 to source 2 and even tried the computer source, in fact, I tried all of the available sources, but no dice!
What am I missing here? Thanks!
b8de4fcc_IMG_0471.jpeg

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
This is the *opposite* of the s-video problem. Namely, the source *must* be progressive. If it's 1080i you'll get nothing. Try telling your DishNet box to output everything at 720p and see if that solves the problem. (You'll need to use the computer source.) If that doesn't work, you may need to go all the way down to 480p.
As I recall, I had everything on my X1 fed via component via a switch box and that worked well. With HDMI you may even have "handshaking" issues which the X1 probably won't be able to resolve. So if the above doesn't work you may be forced to go that route.

nottageek

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Well...no luck yet. Tried the 720p and 480p signals but nada.
When you write "handshaking" I assume you are referring to some sort of "switch" converter box? What would you suggest for a switch box?
Just a thought...I noticed on the "provided" VGA cable that came with the X1 there are two cylindrical "filters" (or whatever they are) one near each end of the cable. ( I had to use the cable to complete the connection because the HDMI/VGA adapter I am using has the same female end as the X1). Is there possibly an issue using the X1 "provided" cable with these "filters" that might cause the problem since I'm not using a computer but a Dish box? (BTW I tested the X1 "provided" cable and it has continuity).
Thanks so much for your help, it is really appreciated!

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Based on what I'm seeing from that PDF manual link I posted above, I don't think the X1 can handle anything video-based above 480i.
I remember now that I ditched it for the Infocus 4805 a year later for that very reason.
Sorry ... :(

nottageek

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
I just went to my X1 manual and then checked with the manual you linked to and they both appear to be the same, page for page. So, unless I am missing something it appears to me that according to page 8 in the manual the X1 is compatible with 1080i and even 720p as long as one uses the VGA connection as shown on page 16 (as opposed to composite).
Am I reading something into this that is giving me the impression that it should work with a 720p (maybe even 1080i) signal using a VGA connector?
Thanks!

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Mark,
Yeah ... I see what you're referring to, but the X1 still isn't going to support HDMI. IMO, the best you can do is component video via an adapter. The "handshaking" I was referring to is HDCP software recognition support which is a "copy protection" standard for HDMI.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks