-

Photo
- - - - -

NYPD Blue 5/20/03

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 OFFLINE   Ivan Lindenfeld

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted May 20 2003 - 03:58 PM

Please merge if I missed the thread.

This was a great episode and the ending was completely shocking. Anyone not watching Hitler tonight?

I actually had more fun watching this than 24 and 24 was very enjoyable.

Can I get high five here?
Ivan Lindenfeld

#2 of 30 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted May 20 2003 - 06:01 PM

Yep, for shocker endings, NYPD Blue beat anything I've seen this season. And it was all the more shocking because it didn't come out of nowhere; there'd been several previous episodes building up to it.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#3 of 30 OFFLINE   Rollie

Rollie

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted May 20 2003 - 07:29 PM

I haven't watched Blue in a couple of seasons. I just happened to tune into the finale, and the ending COMPLETELY took me by surprise.

Now I'm looking forward to the Law & Order finale!
"Some people play hard to get, I play hard to want."

#4 of 30 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted May 20 2003 - 07:56 PM

Unfortunately, I had already heard that Esai Morales might/will leave the show, plus I saw a commercial where Rita shoots through a window. Since she didn't plug John Posted Image (for being such a lucky bastard) I put two and two together....

Good show. Medavoy poem was ridiculous!

//Ken

#5 of 30 OFFLINE   Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor

• 579 posts

Posted May 21 2003 - 12:30 AM

Yeah, what an ending. I'll give you props for the thread, Ivan. Anyway, it seems they need a new capt. every couple of seasons. That Doctor chick that John is do-ing is super fine.Posted Image

#6 of 30 OFFLINE   Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter

• 1,099 posts

Posted May 21 2003 - 01:13 AM

Damn, I hope Esai doesn't leave. I like his character a lot.

Plus, his line, "Goodnight, Reverend" almost made me fall of the couch laughing.

The shooting was pretty telegraphed on the show. I was sitting there thinking "Man, that guys gonna pull a gun", but then, when he stepped over to put another one in the Lt., and Rita shot him, that was the shocker!

This is probably my favorite show on TV.
Randy T.
Orlando, FL
ºoº Home of The Mouse!!!

"Oh, come on, guys. It's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays!"

#7 of 30 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,901 posts

Posted May 21 2003 - 01:22 AM

Did they ever really explain why John left Rita??
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#8 of 30 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted May 21 2003 - 02:14 AM

Quote:
Did they ever really explain why John left Rita??

There wasn't a speech to explain it, but the reason is pretty obvious. John shut down emotionally after his father died, and he couldn't stand to be with someone who made him feel too much. The doctor is the perfect woman for him in his current state: She's attractive but too busy to be a big part of John's life. In fact, as we saw in the next-to-last episode, they don't have much in common (other than animal attraction) and don't really like each other. There's not much future for that relationship, and that's the safety zone John likes right now.

M.

#9 of 30 OFFLINE   Ivan Lindenfeld

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted May 21 2003 - 02:22 AM

Both Esai Morales and Rita going off show? I hope not. I was just getting really comfy with Morales and he was more of a natural in the role than James MacDonald, I thought. Rita was pretty and all but she's no Charlotte. Posted Image Don't fell like I knew her that well.

My wife and I have a game (which would probably be a drinking game if she weren't pregnant) that whenever Charlotte looks longingly into Andy's eyes we say "Way too hot for Andy!" I got that from an entertainment writer on TVGuide.com or Newsweek, I don't recall exactly.

Losing two more Latinos though...whassupwitdat!? Posted Image
Ivan Lindenfeld

#10 of 30 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted May 21 2003 - 02:51 AM

Quote:
Yep, for shocker endings, NYPD Blue beat anything I've seen this season. And it was all the more shocking because it didn't come out of nowhere; there'd been several previous episodes building up to it.

Even better because I thought that the foreshadowing was pointing to either Charlotte or Rita. I am glad that I did not see the ad.
¡Time is not my master!

#11 of 30 OFFLINE   Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor

• 974 posts

Posted May 21 2003 - 02:56 AM

Thanks for the thread Ivan, this is one of my favorite shows.What can you say, except another fantastic episode from everyone. I think Andy's reaction summed it all up about Greg's speech lol! I guess I'm alone in wanting Rita to stay, she'd make someone very happy. So I guees the wedding's on hold til next season?

#12 of 30 OFFLINE   Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter

• 1,099 posts

Posted May 21 2003 - 05:55 AM

I think after saving Lt.'s life (or did she???), Rita will probably stick around.

The wedding will probably be the first episode of the new season, when we also find out if the Lt. makes it.

I just hope they let Andy have some happiness, and don't screw with his wife and children any more.
Quote:
whenever Charlotte looks longingly into Andy's eyes we say "Way too hot for Andy!"

Have you noticed that they've kinda de-glamoured Charlotte quite a bit. Perhaps, they are trying to make her not so hot for Andy. (Then again, Sylvia was way too hot for Andy, and Eddie's niece was pretty darned cute, as well!)
Randy T.
Orlando, FL
ºoº Home of The Mouse!!!

"Oh, come on, guys. It's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays!"

#13 of 30 OFFLINE   StephenK

StephenK

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted May 21 2003 - 05:58 AM

I second everyone, great episode. My only complaint being that I guessed the wheelchair bit due to an episode of Monk. Not that it hampered my enjoyment. Ending was a shocker.

I hope Esai Morales doesn't leave, he was a great replacement.

Now we only have to wait until the middle of next season til ABC starts showing new episodes Posted Image This show does not the respect it deserves!

#14 of 30 OFFLINE   Carl Miller

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

• 1,461 posts

Posted May 21 2003 - 08:23 AM

I'm glad I didn't see the previews! The thought crossed my mind he'd pull a gun but then I said nah...Still surprised me somewhat.

I think NYPD Blue is at it's all-time peak with this cast and I'd hate to see any of them leave.
Carl

#15 of 30 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted May 21 2003 - 09:28 AM

Quote:
Now we only have to wait until the middle of next season

I doubt it. Blue started this year at the beginning of the season, and there's nothing in ABC's scheduling announcements to suggest they'll do it differently next year. Indeed, with NBC putting L&O:SVU in that timeslot, ABC really can't afford to risk it on a new show.

M.

#16 of 30 OFFLINE   Jim Douglas

Jim Douglas

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted May 21 2003 - 11:00 AM

Maybe if Rita leaves Diane can come back Posted Image I think she will decide to stay after all is said and done. The ending really surprised me though. Great stuff.
Jim

#17 of 30 OFFLINE   doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor

• 794 posts
  • LocationMackenzie, BC, Canada

Posted May 21 2003 - 02:51 PM

Wow!

I'm also glad I didn't see any ad that would have ruined that moment for me. I also hope they don't get rid of the captain. He's done the best job, and is one of my favorite characters as far as him being so comfortable in his role and all..

Thumbs up!

#18 of 30 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Supporting Actor

• 868 posts

Posted May 22 2003 - 01:31 AM

I was shocked at the ending although I could see something building Fraker. I guess I don't watch anything in HD on ABC except Blue so I skipped all the spoiler commercials on my PVR.
Revenge is like serving cold cuts-

Tony Soprano

#19 of 30 OFFLINE   PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted May 22 2003 - 10:46 AM

I watch from recordings on my UTV, so not only did I not see an ad for the finale, I didn't even realize when I watched it (today at lunch) that it was the season finale. So the double shooting was a big shock to me -- I exclaimed loudly when the Cpt. was shot. I agree that Morales has been very good so I'm pulling for a recovery.

Also, on the John & Rita breakup Michael R. summarized it very well. While there may not have been a "speech" per se, there was a particular scene a few episodes back where Rita made it clear that she wanted John to confide in her and let her help him deal with at least some aspects of his father's death. John completely shut her out, and then closed the door on their relationship. It was one of those things that's tough to watch because you see somebody put a foot on a path that they don't have to take, but in an adversarial situation (arguing with Rita) stick to it until the self destructive end. (Not like we haven't seen that a thousand times on the show.)

On another matter, as a long time admirer of dark eyes and hair, I have to vote for Rita over Connie though they are both very lovely women. Posted Image

#20 of 30 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted May 22 2003 - 12:11 PM

The person in charge of the detectives is a lieutenant, not a captain. They've actually shown the captain a few times. He's usually in uniform, and is in charge of the entire station, officers and detectives. At least that's the way it is on all the NYPD shows (including L&O).

//Ken

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow