What's new

The Pianist...Canadian vs American releases (1 Viewer)

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator
I hear the US version will carry a dts es track...but the Canadian version only has dts 5.1...

Can anyone shed any more light on this?

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Well I figure one extra disc of features, and a third with the films soundtrack make up the lack of DTS for me. Also the cover for the Canadian version is 1000x better then the US cover, so I'm sold on the Can version.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
I believe the Canadian version is by Alliance Atlantis... one of the worst DVD production companies in existance... from the DVD Comparison thread:
[/b] are the worst in my opinion. They seem to fail any chance they have to prove themselves... The Straight Story, The Adjuster, The Red Violin, The Fast Runner... and their blunders are never small... pan and scaning widescreen, violent color manipulation.... yuchhhh!
Buying your DVDs based on the cover art is not the most sensible approach...

Regards,

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Not to get off topic, but the AA version of Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner is by far the superior version on the market.

cheers!

Josh

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
P.S. The Alliance looks horizontally cropped a little to boot... sheeeeesh
But perhaps you mean superior in another sense... please explain.

This should be a strong warning as to the amount of dis-information floating around these forums at times...

Regards,

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
You can search this Forum to find this HERE:
Alliance Atlantis:

Columbia Tri-Star:

and here are two more:
Alliance Atlantis:

Columbia Tri-Star:

Why would you even say this:
AA version of Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner is by far the superior version on the market
You obviously have not compared it... or seen it compared. Why would you spread false information when you obviously are unaware ?

BOTTOM LINE: DON'T BUY ALLIANCE ATLANTIS products until they clean up their act.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
As long as the Can. version has dts, I can generate the back channel almost as well...is it supposed to be ES discrete, BTW? Not like there's much there in most ES movies. Hope the video's the same...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Speaking of misinformation are we sure Alliance is involved in the Canadian DVD release of this film? From everything I have read, it looks like Lions Gate and TVA International are involved in this dvd release. So my question is Alliance affliated with those companies? If not then we can get back to the original subject matter.

I had the 3-disc set on preorder for quite some time, so I'm looking forward to it.

Crawdaddy

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Yep, TVA is the distributor up here for The Pianist and is doing the 3 disc DVD release up here. They are not affiliated with Alliance Atlantis, thank god. :)

Jason

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Ouch Gary, looks like I hit a nerve there. How dare you write such an imflamatory set of postings, presuming (wrongly) I have not seen both of the two versions. Your webpage also does not seem to support your case, you are relying soley on screen shots. Case in point, the bit rate is higher on the AA version, and since there are no scenes of high moving action, I see no reason to vary the bitrate to improve picture quality, as is the case in the columbia release. I'll admit that the screen show that the columbia version has a better transfer, but realistically, both have a decent image, and it comes down the the columbia release have the better, yet still mediocre transfer.

You yourself say that the AA release is better on 3 out of the 4 categories on your site, and I would agree. The extras are better, the menus are way better, and the sound is better AND subbed in both the official Canadian laguages.

When the director, Zacharias Kunuk was at the University of Calgary for the free showing of the movie, the AA version was the version he was selling and signing. I never thought to ask him what version he preferred, but if you really want, I'll email one of the profs at the U of C, and maybe get and answer.

It seems to me, that your own site shows the AA version as the superiour RELEASE, and I feel that your personal hatred for AA releases, coupled with your pretentious, yet baffling postings serve only to "warn" people about that which you don't approve of.

I would take the DVD with the extra 6 minutes, better sound, and better menus, over the release with a slightly, yet still poor transfer, any day. And I'm sure most would.

cheers!

Josh

Miles

Second Unit
Josh... Alliance really does have a poor track record. If it's an Alliance release I alway look for reviews before purchasing.

Miles

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Josh,

Perhaps you didn't understand correctly.

You can defend Alliance (pretty much by yourself) in THIS THREAD if you choose to continue to do so.

the AA version of Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner is by far the superior version on the market.
was made out of ignorance. You could not have known, or you would not have said something so ridiculous...

Regards,

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Let's cease with the personal comments now! It wouldn't be wise to risk your posting privileges over this type of argument.

Crawdaddy

Charles Ms

Stunt Coordinator
Can anybody confirm that the "The Pianist (Limited Edition) (3 Discs)" Lions Gate DVD Version will include the whole OST on CD ?

In Germany at amazon.de a 3-disc version of "The Pianist" was promoted for quite some time - just to be changed a week before release: saying that the Soundtrack CD is in reality just a (promotion) CD with 1 title from "Wladyslaw Szpilman - The Original Recordings Of The Pianist" and 2 titles from "The Pianist - Original Soundtrack".

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Does anyone know what will be on the second disc of the Canadian release? I just purchased the U.S. rlease when I saw it on sale this evening at a local store. How much will the two and three disc sets be in U.S. dollars (don't know how to convert the currency). I absolutely loved this movie, and I would love to own the best version of it on DVD. Thanks for any info!

Rob

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Does anyone know what will be on the second disc of the Canadian release? I just purchased the U.S. rlease when I saw it on sale this evening at a local store. How much will the two and three disc sets be in U.S. dollars (don't know how to convert the currency). I absolutely loved this movie, and I would love to own the best version of it on DVD. Thanks for any info!
I'll let you know when I receive my copy. Apparently the studio sent a review copy out to me this afternoon. If I wasn't so busy with my other gig as a theatrical reviewer then I probably could have already had the disc.

Hopefully it'll arrive by the end of the week. Who knows maybe they'll Fedex it to me. Stranger things have happened with these studios.

Mark

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
The U.S. version I have does not list ES. It says it has DTS 5.1 surround. Perhaps it's just mislabeled, if you've all heard something different...? I dunno.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks