What's new

The Pianist...Canadian vs American releases (1 Viewer)

graziano

Grip
Hi!
Sorry if this has been asked before:

Have the german-spoken parts burned-in subtitles?
I speak german and would like to have them subtitle-free.

Thanks in advance
Chris
Ya, the German Subtitles are burned, this is the same as in the theatre. I guess you just have to watch it like that, unless the German DVD release is different.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Thank goodness I held out purchasing the Canadian DVD set!

I just saw an old US version of the Red Violin, and it has the same problems...lack of color saturation, and ghosting during motion! I guess the 1999 DVD release of Red Violin was also a PAL->NTSC transfer...and it was also a Lions Gate release!

Even on a cheap Sanyo PLV-Z1, I could still see all the problems...it was a big deal to me because I thought Red Violin looked absolutely terrible.

RobD

Second Unit
Oh well, I know to avoid TVA in future. I take it they're the Canadian equivelant of Tartan? (Okay, maybe they're not quite that bad.)
Most Tartan disks I have are fine, the Lovers of The Arctic circle is meant to be real bad one but I dont have it actually comment myself. The Bergman collection and Sex and Lucia transfers are great.

David,

You mush have some different titles to me :)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I was hoping somebody else would answer this, so I could figure out what's going on.

I'll say that the Canadian version is not dts-ES flagged...there, an answer!

BUT, my receiver detected dts-ES Matrix 6.1 (that's what its display says) flags many times during the movie, and switched to that mode often, giving tiny audio dropouts whenever it switched back to regular dts. Sometimes it stayed in ES Matrix mode for a minute or so, usually just several seconds, and I recall it often went into ES mode at the start of a piano playing segment. I don't recall this ever happening here before, I normally run dts 5.1 films with synthesized backs, but on this disc there seems to have been some ES flags that confused things.

Hope this doesn't muddy the issue more, the Canadian version really isn't a proper dts ES soundtrack.

RobD

Second Unit
Thanks for the inf ocraig, I also run my reciever on autodetect (Other users of it cannot be expected to switch manually and hence thats a big issue).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks