Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Outlaw 950 Pre/pro Or New Receiver??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
84 replies to this topic

#21 of 85 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,120 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted May 18 2003 - 02:09 PM

Alan:

Maybe you could bring your 950 over and hook it up and put it through its paces with the rest of the gang if they are up to it. It would be an interesting comparison for sure.

Parker

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#22 of 85 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted May 18 2003 - 07:20 PM

The weakness of the VSX-49TXi is the FireWire digital interface from the DV-47Ai. What they don't tell you is that SACD bitstreams are converted to only 24/88 PCM inside the receiver. It does not do pure DSD internally. Its specifications sound better than the reality.

Good call on the Model 950! Save up the rest of your money and put it towards a really good pre-amp down the road.

Dan

#23 of 85 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted May 19 2003 - 12:18 AM

If your experience with the 950 is anything like mine get ready to smile. The 950 is fantastic. Spend that $750 on a cool new DVD player fro Pioneer.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#24 of 85 OFFLINE   Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter

• 1,254 posts

Posted May 19 2003 - 02:47 AM

Thanks Phillip, but I think I'll keep my DV-47Ai. I think that is the top of the line Pioneer Elite on the market.
SLEEPY AL
MAGGIE MAGIC!!

#25 of 85 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,120 posts

Posted May 21 2003 - 08:29 AM

Alan:

So...have your gotten your 950 yet and had a chance to play around with it any?

Parker

reason the RNC."

#26 of 85 OFFLINE   Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter

• 1,254 posts

Posted May 21 2003 - 01:01 PM

Packy,

I just checked the UPS tracking on my 950...it left California today and is scheduled to be delivered on the 27th, next Tuesday. They didn't have the correct expiration date on my Visa, which delayed shipment. And the holiday weekend got in the way. I really would have liked to have had this for the long weekend to get set up and all.

I'll keep you posted!!

P.S. When Gregg Loewen was at my place back in October to calibrate my Elite, he referred to you as Packy, as a nickname. I hope I got it right!!
SLEEPY AL
MAGGIE MAGIC!!

#27 of 85 OFFLINE   Steven Simon

Steven Simon

Producer

• 3,272 posts

Posted May 21 2003 - 03:33 PM

Packy is da man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Steve Simon
HTF Administration
(Retired)

#28 of 85 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted May 22 2003 - 12:01 AM

Only Forum Administrators are allowed to call him Packy. Posted Image
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#29 of 85 OFFLINE   Mark Dickerson

Mark Dickerson

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted May 22 2003 - 05:06 PM

To Steve and Parker:

I have been following this thread with great interest and I have been impressed with your enthusiasm for the Outlaw 950 pre/pro. So, I have a question. For someone like myself, who has always had "audiophile" 2 channel equipment, but who now wants to get into HT, would I hear an improvement in my sound to get a 950 with an Outlaw 7100 amp rather than a NAD 762 receiver? The combo would be about 25% more.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

#30 of 85 OFFLINE   LaMarcus

LaMarcus

Screenwriter

• 1,620 posts

Posted May 22 2003 - 08:08 PM

I just checked out this thread since I seen it was started by my bud Alan. Alan's system is by far the best HT system that I've heard so far. The guys and I were all blown away by his sound quality, not to mention the fabulous job Gregg did on his rptv. Alan's surrounds sounded so good to us, we had to keep turning around to make sure it was not a 6.1 setup because of how the surround info moved around the back of his room.

I'm very curious to see how the Outlaw measures up to his original sound. At our second meet at MikeRP's house he had the more expensive setup of the same line that Alan has. His sounded great, but it just didn't compare the sound we experienced at Alan's.

I just hope that when they come to my house they can just be satisfied with the company and the atmosphere, because no way can I match what we experienced at Alan's.Posted Image Posted Image

And yes the HTF is a blessing, but it is also a curse. Blessing because it's a great place to get info and meet new and interesting people. A curse because you get sucked in and addicted to this place, I'm hear every single day.:b

#31 of 85 OFFLINE   Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter

• 1,254 posts

Posted May 22 2003 - 10:26 PM

Thanks for the good review on my system, LaMarcus. I compared the specs between my old VSX-09TX and the 950...the 950 has it all over my old receiver. I got that fifth channel on my Carver amp fixed at a little repair shop up in Kettering this week...for $17, It had a blown fuse just as I suspected.

With my DV-47Ai DVD player, I'll now be able to enjoy SACD and DVD-A. I can't wait!!

Looking forward to seeing you and the rest of the gang up at your place in June.Posted Image Posted Image
SLEEPY AL
MAGGIE MAGIC!!

#32 of 85 OFFLINE   LaMarcus

LaMarcus

Screenwriter

• 1,620 posts

Posted May 22 2003 - 11:03 PM

Posted Image Posted Image

#33 of 85 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,120 posts

Posted May 23 2003 - 01:54 AM

My nickname on the internet for years has been Packy. All of my close friends call me that and since I consider all of you friends I have no problem with you using my nickname of Packy anytime.

Mark:

I have never heard the NAD itself but I know they make some really nice equipment.

What I can tell you about with the 950/770 combo that I have is that it never ceases to amaze me in what it can do with 2 channel, multi channel (SACD/DVD-A) and then HT surround. It is transparent. In other words it doesn't add anything that isn't there to begin with. The 7100 amp is 100 watts RMS instead of the 200 per channel that 770 has but I have nothing but good things about my amplifier. There again I have never heard the 7100 in action so I can't comment on it other than to say that 1) I know it comes from Outlaw so I know its going to be good 2) If you don't like it. Send it back.

What I would recommend that you do is to get this combination and let your own ears make that decision for you as to what you think of it. I hope that you will audition it for yourself either by ordering one or seeing if anyone that you know around you has one that you can listen to.

Either way I personally believe that Outlaw Audio gives you the best bang for the buck out there in a pre/pro.

Parker

reason the RNC."

#34 of 85 OFFLINE   Mark Dickerson

Mark Dickerson

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted May 23 2003 - 07:39 AM

Parker:

Thanks for the reply. Your endorsement is very meaningful to me. I also have been intrigued by Outlaw's offerings, especially when compared to the other separates currently available. With the sole exception of the NADs, I have not found a receiver that provides the quality sound that I am looking (or should I say listening) for. I want separates, but I frankly don't have $4K for a pre/pro and amp, which is where most combos start.

I am going to look into this further. Tell me, though, do you listen to vinyl, at all? Can the 950 accomodate an outboard phono pre-amp?

Mark

#35 of 85 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,120 posts

Posted May 23 2003 - 04:10 PM

Mark:

Quote:
I am going to look into this further. Tell me, though, do you listen to vinyl, at all? Can the 950 accommodate an outboard phono pre-amp?

No. I wish I did though. I miss my LP collection. I lost it all in a divorce years ago and I had over 600 albums. They were in a trunk to move them and they never made it to my house from the movers. They said they never got it and it was a big hassle but I never got them back.

I have heard that some people use one of the aux. inputs for an outboard phono preamp to plug into and that it sounds great. There again though I have not personally heard this set up so I really can't honestly give you a informed opinion. It comes with 9 analogue audio inputs and they can each be independently set up for 2 channel, multi channel, Dolby Pro II, etc. or bypass mode which sends the signal straight to the volume control of the preamp and bypasses any of the internal processing.

I would give Scott Jackson a call at Outlaw Audio and ask him his opinion on how it would be best to plug your outboard preamp into the 950.

I hope this helps some in your decision making.

Parker

reason the RNC."

#36 of 85 OFFLINE   Mark Dickerson

Mark Dickerson

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted May 23 2003 - 04:36 PM

Parker:

Absolutely it helps. Many thanks. I will give Outlaw a call right after the holiday weekend.

Sorry to hear of the loss of your LP collection. I put mine away about 10 years ago because of curious little hands in the house and I am only now beginning to savor what I have been missing. It is like seeing an old friend that you haven't seen for years. Now my kids are not only old enough to be responsible with the delicate phono cartridge, my 16 year old daughter has started a vinyl collection of her own as many of the club bands that she likes to listen to are cutting new albums and selling them!

Enjoy your holiday weekend! Posted Image

#37 of 85 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,120 posts

Posted May 24 2003 - 12:26 AM

Mark:

I miss my LP collection alot. I had a lot of recordings that are still not available on disc.

I am sure that you are going to really enjoy your 950. For me it was instant satisfaction out of the box.

Have a great holiday weekend too.

Parker

reason the RNC."

#38 of 85 OFFLINE   Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter

• 1,254 posts

Posted May 24 2003 - 01:37 AM

My 950 left Maumee Ohio (Toledo)at 3:30 this morning. It will go to West Carrolton (Dayton) and then on to a local truck. It doesn't look like I'll get it until Tuesday.Posted Image

I'm going to Parts Express in Springboro (just around the corner from where my wife works at Pioneer) today to buy some banana plugs for my speaker wires (been using bare wire) and 6 cables to hook up my DV-47Ai to the 5.1 channel input jacks on the 950. I'm also going to pick up some cable management items. I didn't realize until recently that Parts Express has a showroom only 10 miles from me. They claim to be the #1 Internet site for audio, video, and speaker building components. Here is a link to their site if anyone is interested. http://www.partsexpress.com/index.cfm

I haven't been this excited about a new component since I bought that Carver amp. Please hurry UPS!!
SLEEPY AL
MAGGIE MAGIC!!

#39 of 85 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,120 posts

Posted May 24 2003 - 02:22 AM

Alan:

I know what you mean about having to wait. I ordered an Infocus X1 the other day and I am sure I am going to have wait to get it next week sometime. I am finally going to be back into front projection!

I am as anxious as you are to hear your thoughts on the 950. I am sure that the first thing that you will notice about it is the transparency of the preamp. That is it doesn't add anything to the input signal. What you put in is what you get out. And with that you will hear things that you have been missing and didn't know was there before.

Parker

reason the RNC."

#40 of 85 OFFLINE   Mark_Sparks

Mark_Sparks

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted May 24 2003 - 04:22 AM

Just to throw in my thoughts; I've had my 950/7100 combo for about two months now and I love it. I'm impressed every time I watch a dvd. I've been going back and revisiting my collection and rewatching dvds so I can hear how they sound on the outlaw.