What's new

It's about time to go Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
As soon as the new year rolls in I'm going to start my quest for a Blu-ray player. There are just too many cool titles out right now and that are coming to hold off any longer. While HD-DVD is slowly falling off the map and giving us a few crap films for the new year, Blu-ray is going full steam ahead.

The Panny is my top pick right now but I'll also look into the PS3. I've done zero research into Blu-ray so this should be fun.

But, how does one hook up two HDMI cables to a FP with only one input? Does someone make and HDMI switcher? I have no desire to replace my Outlaw 950 pre/pro with an HDMI receiver at this point.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Yeah, there are HDMI switchers out there.

In terms of players to get, I wouldn't discount the Samsung, which can be had at nearly the same price as the PS3 if you look hard enough. I think that player got a bad rap because so many of the early BDs were atrocious. I've been pretty happy with it for four months now, though. The Panasonic is pretty attractive too, especially since it's going to be able to upgrade to the new surround formats (I'm holding out hope that the Sammy will do this too).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another thumbs up for the Sammy. It has given me far less trouble than my XA1 player.

Ron,
Why don't you wait to see what's announced next month at CES? There might be some 2nd generation players announced with HDMI 1.3 or better yet once available there will be some price drops for some of those 1st generation players.

Scotty_McW

Second Unit
I'm starting to feel the same way. I love my A1 but looking at the titles that are out or are coming out on Blu-Ray makes me really want to get in there! I'm leaning towards the PS3 right now mainly due to space limitations. I'm patiently waiting for hardware announcements after the first of the year.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
I have both the Samsung and Panasonic if you have any questions. If you don't need some of the advanced features of the Panny, the Sammy is a hell of a deal at $599 new from amazon or less if you really look. With the new firmware, I'd say the PQ of the Sammy is almost up to the Panasonic and it boots faster too (20 seconds from tray close to play).

Scotty_McW

Second Unit
I didn't realize that the price of the Sammy had dropped so much. I suppose if I really worked at it I could create some space for the Sammy!

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Ron, check out Monoprice.com for good, inexpensive switchers. I've used it with my A1 and the Sammy BD player with no problems.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Certainly there are some good ones coming out in March for BD. I'm holding out on BD until all the dust settles. I still believe we've not seen the best for either format yet...patience I keep telling myself ;)....

Well, Ron... HD-DVD has had a great year. . Look at all the great titles that were released since mid April. The BD folks have been patient for nearly 8 months while HD-DVD got most of the positive momentum inspite of a great deal of BD bias. No denying that BD is making it's move. I'm glad as I think it will help iron all this out.

This is far from over. I wish BD offered a player that was really inexpensive like what I got for my HD-A1. They don't yet but until they do, I can only support one format for now.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I agree with your assessment of the Samsung. It is not a dab player, and it did get wrongly accused for issues directly related to Sony's piss poor excuse for releases. I have just replaced my first gen Tosh XA1 and have a XA2 on order, and I will wait for the second or third gen BD players before I replace the Sammy. Not a bad machine at all, considering how soon in the BD release it came.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I bought the HDA1 in November due in large part to the deal for 3 free HD DVDs and a price drop to $549 CAD.

I also bought a PS3 which I am going to sell (have not even taken it out the bag yet)...and pick up a 2nd generation player as soon as they become available for probably the same price range and more convenient to use and likely better features/specs.

For sure, HD DVD had a huge lead over BD coming out of the gate but for whatever reason has not maintained it and there are too many BD titles now coming out to ignore the format...'Guardian' kind of did it for me and now 'Reign of Fire' as well.

I also spent a good month agonizing over an HDMI switcher, but bought one for $169 CAD that works flawlessly. There is a thread or two that deals with that issue, so a quick search will yeild that for you. Good luck!

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
just remember that if you get a Sammy with original firmware and update it, it locks the BD region coding into place. (sneaky, eh?) It's BD region free originally.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Interesting.... I own "Reign Of Fire" on HD-DVD and be very happy with it....

I wouldn't make any choices before CES though...

Never know what might happen there.... just 2 weeks away...

Dugger

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor

I would be very happy with it too...if I could find a place that carries it. I must presume it is an import title? (am aware that there is no regioin coding on HD DVD at this time).

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
CES will be interesting, with Universal making announcements for hd dvd and disney/fox and others doing the same for blu-ray.

Brian-W

Screenwriter

I second this place...can't beat their HDMI cables (or pricing) - their HDMI switcher also kicks. It looks chintzy, but works great, and the price is too good to pass up.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Well, I'm going to pick up a few BD titles tomorrow and a few more in the weeks to come. Hopefully within the month I'll own a player. I'll check out monoprice, thanks for the heads up on that.

Most of all, I'm really looking forward to Ultraviolet in hi-def.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
If you want an inexpensive player now, the PS3 is really the way to go, if you can find one that is. I think I got lucky, I walked into my Wal-Mart a couple of weeks ago, and they just happened to have 2 in stock (I wasn't even there looking for a PS3). Now I'm just waiting for Amazon to deliver my first real Blu-Ray titles. I ordered Kingdom of Heaved, Blackhawk Down, and Mission Impossible III. Only title I've watched so far is the pack in Talladega Nights that comes with the PS3, and I actually thought for the most part it looked fairly decent (poor contrast but detail in several scenes seemed good to me, though other parts definitely were soft).

Brian

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I sold my Sammy on eBay, so within a month or two I'd like to have a new BD player. I'm leaning towards the PS3 if I can find one for a reasonable price. Second choice would be the Sony standalone player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks