What's new

West Wing 5-14-03 (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Gawd what an odd casting choice, Walter Sobchak is the President!
I was really wondering if I was gonna hear, "You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me."

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Man, the 25th Amendment is getting a workout this season. Both of America's favorite fictional Presidents (Bartlet & Palmer) are ... well, not!

It's somewhat of an odd place for Sorkin & Schlamme to leave the show in. I hope the new creative team is up to the challenge.

First order of the acting President to the staff when the new season rolls around: "Let's go bowling!".

;)

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I burst out laughing with delight when they panned up and revealed John Goodman. I just hope his character isn't a ridiculous strawman like James Brolin's character was.

Let's see:

Ted McGinley - Check
Timothy Busfield - Check
F. William Parker - Check
John Goodman - Check

Somebody get Anthony Edwards and and Robert Carradine on the phone - we're having a Revenge of the Nerds reunion on The West Wing. :D

Brad

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
I burst out laughing when I saw that it was gonna be Goodman. "His foot was over the line!"

Great Episode tonight. Very good stuff. Yes the 25th is getting some popularity this season on tv. Forget going to history class, just watch tv!

Man I can't wait till next fall.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Man, me and my roomates felt legitimataly bad for the president. Great writing as always.

cheers!

Josh

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
This was an excellent episode. Wanna place any bets on when the daughter is found that the new president character doesn't want to step down and puts up a fight based off the MS thing? There still isn't a VP either. I was kinda hoping that Leo would get put in the VP spot and then take the president spot.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Wanna place any bets on when the daughter is found that the new president character doesn't want to step down and puts up a fight based off the MS thing?
But he'd have to have the support of the cabinet, and last night the cabinet appeared very reluctant to support Bartlet stepping down at all.

And yes, I think they're setting up Leo's ascension to VP next year, after Bartlet resumes the Presidency.

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
I can't beleive only 6 posts on this great episode! It was maudlin at times, a bit too melodramatic. Or maybe it's just me but the scenes with Toby and the twins Huck and Molly and with the buildup, I was all choked up.

Babies come with hats. Classic.

And the rest of it...the tension, the dialogue as usual, was great. I was hoping this was going to go down as a Who Shot JR kind of cliffhanger in popularity, but only time will tell. I think it's huuuuge.

I haven't enjoyed myself this much during an hour of TV since we had Skinemax. I'M KIDDING! I meant to say since season one of The Sopranos.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
The problem with Leo becoming VP is that you'd never see him anymore. The P and VP usually aren't in the same place -- at least that's the way it always is on TV and movies.

It also seems unlikely that the ex-Speaker would try to hold on after Zoey is recovered. Everyone knows he's there temporarily; if he stayed, it would be like a coup. The American public is not that stupid.

I hope that before Barlett stepped down, he signed an executive order to have the French guy shot :)

//Ken

KerryK

Stunt Coordinator
I have to admit I got verklempt when Mrs. Bartlett was trying to talk to the press.

I love that they've been moving back towards the political drama rather than the soap opera.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The John Goodman bit was rich; my first thought was, hey it's King Ralph! He's President too now!

Rob T

Screenwriter
I lost the satelite signal during the plane over Seattle part. It came back shortly after though.
can nybody tell me what happened?
did they shoot it down?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
No, after some tense moments the pilot came on and said they were having some trouble with their radio but everything was fine. When he was confused and didn't know what to do, that put some seeds of doubt into Bartlett's mind as to whether he was up to handling the crisis, leading to the denouement.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
It turned out the plane was piloted by a couple of drunk frat boys who were having a goof. They ID'd themselves seconds before they were going to be shot down.

That's what Goodman's character was referring to when he talked about "playing chicken with the Air Force".

Eric C D

Second Unit
I loved 25 a lot more than 24. :) (at least the WW'S use of the amendment).

Gotta admit, though - seeing the amendment played out on 24 made me think part way through WW that the prez needed to step down so that he couldn't be blackmailed. But my only fear now is that by doing so, Zoe is no longer of use to the blackmailers - so why not kill her and run.

I got choked up at "Molly," was proud of the President for not letting (apparent) terrorists blackmail the USA, and hooted at the first look at Goodman. I just hope that next year after the kidnapping is resolved, that Goodman's character does America proud by stepping back down. Partisan politics be damned - that's the way to thwart the blackmailers.

Great TV. Even though I watched it on tape, I sat through the credits just to watch Aaron Sorkin's name one last time. Noting that he may still be listed as "creator," I wonder if he'll help script plotlines but just not do day-to-day writing.

Eric

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
This was an excellent episode. I waited until today to read through these postings since I only got to watch the tape of this last night. I didn't want to spoil the ending.

Even if Aaron Sorkin has stepped down, I am wondering if he had already sketched out how this cliff-hanger will be resolved. I hope so.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
What happened to Sorkin anyway? Did he step down to get back into films or what?

BTW, I agree. Great episode as usual.

Parker

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I read one story that said NBC wanted to take the show in some directions he didn;t want so he left. I'm guessing we will have some built-up sexual frustration from several of the cast being consumated next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks