What's new

New Samsung 26" HDTV (1 Viewer)

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Crutchfield has the new 26" wide-screen Samsung HDTV model TXN2670WHF up on it's website with specs. Price $799.99 I'm surprised Samsung went with a 26" tube? I wanted to see companies go the other way with larger wide-screen flat tubes of 36", 38" 40" & etc before they went with smaller tubes & more RPTV's.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Thank you Lord! A 16:9 direct view HDTV that fits my poor man's price range (assuming I will be able to find it for a hundred or so less than Crutchfield's price).

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Why everything should be larger? I don't understand this mentality. 16:9 TVs are available in Europe, Asia, Australia in various sizes (as tiny as 13") since the early '90s.

Maybe for the really rich with humongous rooms, having 30" (or larger) 16:9 direct-view is easy. For me, I don't have large room nor financially padded wallet, so 26" 16:9 is a great way to have HDTV in my rooms.

I'll be the first in line to have TWO 26" 16:9 when it's available in Canada.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I'm not against smaller tubes I just wanted to see them build larger tubes also for people who want them plus I'll bet they make more profit on a larger set & if that's the case maybe the smaller sets would be even cheaper in price because of the off set on the profits of the big sets. But maybe they figure they can sell more RPTV's & they already know that most "regular" consumers would run out & buy a 40" plasma set if the prices were around $800 but as of now that's impossible for them to do or even build enough to keep up with the demand at $800 if they could do it.

Wesley S

Stunt Coordinator
I agree. I'm glad it's finally going in the smaller direction. I'm lucky enough to have both Crutchfield stores within an hour of me so I'll check these out. As far as price. Once someone else carries this tv it'll be cheaper. Crutchfield charges a premium but their service is top notch. On a side note the Charlottesville store is nicer but the Harrisonburg store has a nicer outlet.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Don't get me wrong, Bill, my post has nothing against you, but just manufacturers' mentality in general ("let's make larger stuff") which caters to unrealistic goals of selling bazillion units to the commoners like us.

PS: their profit margin on a smaller size is actually much larger due to wider margin of tolerance for smaller screens, not to mention currently being the only small-screen HDTV maker in North America.

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
I personally find this to be a step in the right direction for HDTV. Manufacturers may like selling $2000 HDTV's but for widespread acceptance of HDTV there needs to cheaper models. Hopefully 26" widescreen HDTV's will start appearing from other manufacturers at even lower prices. Remember the more HDTV's owned the more HDTV programming will become available :).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks