Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

When is the time for another calibration?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Chris_MJ

Chris_MJ

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 02:08 AM

I had a professional calibration last September. I was wondering how long should I wait before I have someone in again to "touch up"?

#2 of 6 David Abrams

David Abrams

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 02:23 AM

Chris,

Generally I recommend about a year to my clients. The tubes will wear and drift as time goes by, they will never be as bad as before your first calibration, but they will not be accurate. This is just like tuning up a car every so many miles. I have customers that call me in every six months to insure that their displays are operating to the standards, but most of my clients wait about a year for their follow up.

Regards,
David Abrams
ISF Calibrationist
Avical/Precision Theater Consultants (www.AviCal.com)
I2C Equipped
Phone: 323-571-8044Email: PrecisionTheater@aol.comOffering Regular Calibration Services in the Southern California area.

#3 of 6 Michael TLV

Michael TLV

Screenwriter

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted May 01 2003 - 04:02 AM

Greetings

Follow ups are usually fairly fast and no where as involved as the original work. Think of them as oil changes.

Brightness is usually the thing that changes the most over the first year or so. It is known to drop off by as much as 50% in some RPTV units.

Regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com

#4 of 6 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,217 posts

Posted May 09 2003 - 04:38 PM

I had an ISF calibration on my RPTV about a year and a half ago. If my brightness hasn't really changed since then, does that mean I probably don't need an ISF touch up? My set is 3.5 yrs old now.

#5 of 6 James Edward

James Edward

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted May 10 2003 - 12:19 PM

I had mine re-calibrated after just about a year. I thought everything was perfect, and could not be improved upon. But this was to be a free-bee, so why not?

I was wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Grayscale had drifted a little, and convergence was off(I had been touching it up, but Kevin did a slightly Posted Image better job).

I swear it looks better than after the first calibration.
Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.

#6 of 6 LeoSweers

LeoSweers

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted May 10 2003 - 02:45 PM

I agree with James, i had mine re-done after a year, It was better

Cheers

Leo