What's new

Sell my STR-DA5ES to buy STR-DA4ES ??? (1 Viewer)

Dan Kolacz

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I have had my 5ES for about 1 year and I really like it. I am thinking of selling it and getting the 4ES for a couple of different features plus the 7 channel.

Any glaring reason why I should not do this?

Thanks

StevieP

Stunt Coordinator
HI Dan,

I have had the 3ES about the same amount of time as you have had your 5ES and also love mine!
I couldn't spring for a 5ES at the time I bought mine.
If I could have, I guess I wouldn't have a 4ES on order now!
The main reason for my upgrade is DPLII, NEO6, and DTS ES.
If I am not mistaken the 5ES has all of the above!
My 2 cents-- SAVE YOUR MONEY!

Steve.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Dan,

What specific features are you referring to?

If it were me I'd keep the 5ES and add whatever external amping you need for 7.1. The 3ES and 5ES are the last honestly rated Sony's....but...if you just have to sell it for the 4ES, let me know.:D

Shiu

Second Unit
I have a 4ES, but I would have bought the 5ES if I could get one at the time. I suspect most people will tell you going to from 5 to 4 is a down grade in terms of quality.

Rick_FL

Stunt Coordinator
how's it a downgrade? the 4ES uses newer dsp ic's, and weighs 4kg more. The only thing on the 4ES that stinks is the remote. Sony did drop the Virtual EX modes on the 4ES. If you want 7.1, then go for the 4ES, or add a nice amp to your 5ES. Both will be good

Dan Kolacz

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, thanks guys.

I guess I'll keep the 5ES.

I really liked the composite to S-Video conversion feature and I thought the remote looked cleaner and more functional.

After reading some posts, I see that most people are unhappy with the remote though.

Thanks again

Mark All

Second Unit
I'd keep the 5ES. Having 7-channels of amplification isn't worth it in my system. I use a center channel speaker for the back surround after finding it sounds better to just have one speaker of that type in the back center than having two regular speakers there.

Spend your money on something else instead. :)

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
I have the DA5ES, have room for only 5.1 system, do not need DTS 96/24(I prefer SACD and DVD-Audio) and have brought home a DA4ES to side by side comparison. Not too much of a difference that I could hear other than a bit more headroom and my DA5ES not getting as hot as the DA4ES. I would stick with the DA5ES,, I did. By the way, get an MX-500 remote and chuck every other remote you have:D God I love having two multichannel inputs:D

Shiu

Second Unit
The 5ES supposedly uses a higher quality transformer and capacitors. The 5ES weights about the same as the the 4ES, that is, approximately 20 kg. According to Sonystyle.ca the 5ES weighs 17 kg. but according to the manual(I have the manual for both 4 and 5ES), both units weigh in at 20 kg. This is not to say that the 5ES will sound better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks